Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Collardclan
Swedish59
Collardclan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Duplicate Cover Image

I have created an ebook using Indesign CS6 and have exported to Epub. All looks fine using ibooks, but when viewing using Calibre the cover image appears twice.

Any idea why this is happening and is their a quick fix?
Collardclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
the cover was not properly designated (semantics) as a cover, so Calibre inserted rather than replaced the existing one with the one in the library DB (This is a Dumb replace, it just does it...even if there is no difference)
Use the editor to remove the second (non-cover version) code/file
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Smiliar Problem

I have a somewhat similar problem, only my duplicates show up when opening an epub in MoonReader or Calibre's epub viewer {sort of}

In MoonReader, the cover comes up as Cover (1/2) and again as Cover (2/2).

In Calibre's epub viewer, the cover comes up as the first page, and the next page comes up blank even though the epub has no blank page at this point.

The html files are the cover.html file and the very next one is the table of contents. When viewing the html files in the editor or Sigil I don't see anything indicating there are two copies of the cover.

So I don't know where the issue is. Each html file has an associated listing in the TOC.

Any help would be appreciated.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your coverpage won't fit on a single screen
Margins COUNT, padding counts, borders count

they all add up so a 800x600 image will not fit on a 800x600 screen if you use absolute sizes (or fail the % maths)
margin-top
<p> <image ...</p> <can have margins
margin-bottom
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

I just changed my cover from my standard size of 600 x 900 to 600x 800 and that worked! What is odd is I have a cover in another epub which is 600 x 900 and it fits on one page too. But looks like you gave me the solution!

I do wonder why MoonReader lists it as Cover (2/2) when it now only one page.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

one coverpage may have Absolute values. The other has relative values, therefore it scales to fit.

it is all in the code
Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Themus
Zealot

Been looking at this and it appears if you create a cover in sigil with the svg wrapper {relative value?}, the cover will adjust its size to the reading device. Now this brought up a question I never thought of until now. Is the 'cover' or thumbnail I see in Calibre and in my ereader the cover or is the cover what I see when I actually open up the epub to read? Or is the thumbnail generated from the inside cover of the epub.? I was using a Calibre plugin called Create Cover which generated to me the thumbnail I see of the epub as well as the first page of the same epub. I guess it is linguistics, but when we say an epub's cover are we referring to what is seen when we open the epub up or the picture of it as displayed in Calibre or on the bookshelf of any ereader? There is an entire article written by Ron Shelton about using Sigil to generate a cover to adapt to any ereader. My initial results were mixed.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Calibres cover exists only in Calibre. What cover, depends how it was obtained.

It could be extracted from a the book (in the MDE or part of the import)
It could be created by a Plugin Builtin or (User supplied)
Downloaded with Metadata
Dropped into the Comments or MDE from any external (to calibre) source

There are a number of Actions that cause the Library Copy of the book to get updated with the current.

Sending to a Device will only update the SENT copy and my modify the dimensions based upon the selected profile