Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Any idea about new devices from Irex?

I'm planing to buy an Irex 1000S Reader.

Last time I bought the Iliad a few weeks too early (and then the Irex Reader came out) and I was 'pretty pissed' because I could have got one of these devices.

Any rumours, any information about new devices or price cuts?

Last edited by joblack; 06-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I think you're pretty safe right now. Irex has mentioned mid 2011 for a new device. That's two years from now and mentioning is far simpler than actually shipping, so who knows when it will be .
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want WiFi or bluetooth, then the DR1000SW was announced last year with these added features but has never been released. Otherwise, I have seen no indications of other devices from iRex.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
That's pretty much what I think as well. The DR1000SW is probably the next expected device (current device plus wireless), but we don't know the time frame. I thought it would have been out by now, but we don't know what the delay is.

As far as a "next generation" device. All indications from iRex are that there will be a color device from them sometime in 2011. I don't think anybody really knows yet if it'll be based on the DR1000, or something completely new.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just had a thought, I wonder if the DR1000SW delay has any relation to the problems they're having with the iLiad meeting US FCC regulations. They apparently changed their manufacturing site recently, and have been having problems getting the iLiad approved for sale in the US. FCC regulations would also impact the wireless functionality of the DR1000SW. Maybe it's having the same problem?
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just had a thought, I wonder if the DR1000SW delay has any relation to the problems they're having with the iLiad meeting US FCC regulations. They apparently changed their manufacturing site recently, and have been having problems getting the iLiad approved for sale in the US. FCC regulations would also impact the wireless functionality of the DR1000SW. Maybe it's having the same problem?
As I am living in Germany I don't care about the FCC.

They could start selling it in Europe and in the US later ...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
As I am living in Germany I don't care about the FCC.

They could start selling it in Europe and in the US later ...
Sort of like a reverse Kindle market.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sort of like a reverse Kindle market.
Right - despite the fact that I haven't the slightest interest in the Kindle .

Well, I'm used to Irex Release plan - tripple the time they say and you're right.

The color Irex won't be released before end 2012 ...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I sent an e-mail and asked when the 1000SW will be released, since I would like to have one. That was 40 days ago. No answer.... That alone gets me thinking it would be a great risk buying anything from them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I sent an e-mail and asked when the 1000SW will be released, since I would like to have one. That was 40 days ago. No answer.... That alone gets me thinking it would be a great risk buying anything from them.
It's pretty poor they haven't responded to your email at all but it is common (and sensible) for companies not to announce when they expect their next product to be released (try asking Sony when the next PRS will be out).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
There is a big difference. Irex has long announced the product, and listed on their website with specs and all. As "coming soon" since half a year ago (my guess). Sony's new big screen device is just a rumour, even though it is more likely to happen than the 1000SW!

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-01-2009 at 06:14 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm happy that they've concentrated on fixing the initial problems with the DR1000S, rather than being "sidetracked" by the SW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Me too.... for me, a more stable and usable system is more important than having a wireless function or even a colorful screen. Looking forward for the firmwire 1.7.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
It's pretty poor they haven't responded to your email at all but it is common (and sensible) for companies not to announce when they expect their next product to be released (try asking Sony when the next PRS will be out).
Or for that matter read Palm's earnings release when people ask them about future WebOS devices or even a GSM version of the Pre. Companies rarely announce devices until they are ready to launch, you don't want the competition to have too much information on what you're doing
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote