Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Downloading Epubs to iPhone or iPad

So I am working on an epub for a client. His main concern is viewing it on an iphone or ipad, so in the ibooks app. I actually don't have either of these devices, but I am familiar with how layouts will look on them.

I have attached the epub to him in an email, but he claims he can't open it. My question is, besides going through iTunes on a computer while your device is plugged in, how do you get an epub on your device if you didn't buy it through the store?

Say I upload the epub to my server, will an iphone automatically recognize the file format and open up the epub in ibooks when it downloads it?

Eventually the client wants to give these away on his site, so he wants to make sure people don't have to go through a bunch of steps to read the book.

Thanks for any help or info.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi, epub files indeed can be open from the email app. One should select the epub attached file and hit "open in" and select ibooks. The process is similar with any epub file found on the web. Hope to have helped.

Jose
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's possible that the epub is being stripped in transit, you could start with having your client forward (not reply) the message to you, which always gives the option to forward attachments.

The firmware doesn't have iBooks built in, so it's possible your client never installed the app. Your client could also install Stanza, one of the better alternative epub readers. If your client is still stuck, they could try to download an epub from Gutenberg, like http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/76/pg76.epub .
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the help, turns out he didn't have ibooks installed.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Another case of Kill the messenger. I can't open your file. What program are you trying to open it in? Windows. Do you have acrobat? What's that?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Thanks for the help, turns out he didn't have ibooks installed.

But then again... why do iPad NOT come with iBooks pre-installed is beyond me. I just don't get it. I am sure it gets much more use than youtube... hell, at least, I hope it does...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

But then again... why do iPad NOT come with iBooks pre-installed is beyond me. I just don't get it. I am sure it gets much more use than youtube... hell, at least, I hope it does...
Probably more people watch video than read books!

@SamL -- Another way is to use Dropbox to make the transfer. This is the way I do it. When you open a book from dropbox with the iPad, it will ask which app to open with. Just choose iBook (assuming iBook is installed.

Last edited by slayda; 06-30-2011 at 11:26 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Another case of Kill the messenger. I can't open your file. What program are you trying to open it in? Windows. Do you have acrobat? What's that?
Indeed, he told me that he doesn't want

"his customers to have to download any program to open it in, just like a PDF"