Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
jacko5
jacko5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
PRS+ Help .. regarding fonts

I have a Sony PRS 600 and have installed PRS+ software.
I want to change the normal font to another one.
I have looked at all the relevant threads and its confusing.
Some say put fonts on the root \fonts folder on the Sony PRS 600 and some threads say put them in /database/system/PRSPlus/epub/fonts folder.

Can someone who had done this on there Sony PRS 600 give me step by step instructons on how to change the font for reading epub books please.

I have tried everything and nothing changes.
I want a bold font to read the main text of the epub book.
Thank you for any help given.
jacko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
jacko,
there are 2 different kind of Fonts in 600, one is used for menus / LRF, other is used by EPUBs.

Which of them do you want to change?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
jacko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
jacko,
there are 2 different kind of Fonts in 600, one is used for menus / LRF, other is used by EPUBs.

Which of them do you want to change?
Kartu,
I want to change the font for reading epub books.
So that they are easier to read for me.
A nice clear bold font would be nice.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EPUB styles (not fonts!) are to be put into /database/system/PRSPlus/epub/, you can put font files wherever you want, you are referencing them from your CSS files, so you can update paths to it accordingly.

Regarding the whole procedure, better check first comment here ("Epub file fonts"):
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
You may also have a look at Adding-Fonts-to-a-Sony-Reader.pdf by jswinden

He compiled, in a very user-frindly way, informations from various threads.
Thank you Jack!
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
jacko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
EPUB styles (not fonts!) are to be put into /database/system/PRSPlus/epub/, you can put font files wherever you want, you are referencing them from your CSS files, so you can update paths to it accordingly.

Regarding the whole procedure, better check first comment here ("Epub file fonts"):
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide
Kartu,
I have read that article, thanks.
This is what i have done.
I put the following files into the root /database/system/PRSPlus/epub/ folder on my Sony PRS 600 Ebook,

original.css
style.css
userstyle.css

Then i put the following font file into the root/fonts folder on my Sony PRS 600 Ebook,

Fontin-Bold.tff

But i still do not see the correct font.
This is what is in each of the css files,

@font-face {

font-family: "Fontin";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);

}

@font-face {

font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);

}

body {

font-family: "Fontin", serif;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;

}

Am i doing everything correctly ?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Then i put the following font file into the root/fonts
It should look like /fonts, not root/fonts. Same for /database.

Also check the link Mark posted.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
jacko5

Ok thanks to both of you.
When i said root .. i meant the root of the Sony PRS 600 .. not a folder called root.
I will have to edit the ebooks i think.
Because i have tried all sorts of ways to do this.
Once again thanks.
If anyone has the fontin bold or droid bold css and font ( inside the correct folders for the Sony PRS 600 ) can you please attach them to this thread in a zip or rar file.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko5 View Post
This is what i have done.
Then i put the following font file into the root/fonts folder on my Sony PRS 600 Ebook,

Fontin-Bold.tff
If that is the only font you put into the directory, that could be your problem. Your css calls for 3 variations of the Fontin font as follows:

Quote:
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
So when the reader looks for the normal variation of the font, which is usually the most common font used throughout the book, it's not there since you don't have the font file Fontin-Regular.tff in the font directory. You only have Fontin-Bold.ttf installed. There's usually a 4th variation of the font called for in most css files for Bold Italic. I wouldn't think that's your problem in this instance though, it wouldn't be called for that often in books, but you might try adding in the 4th typical font also and in the css.

And it's probably just a typo for this forum, but make sure your fonts are named exactly the same as the css file names them, or they won't load. You have some listed as .tff, and the css file named .ttf. Probably a typo like I said, but double check exact spellings.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
jacko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If that is the only font you put into the directory, that could be your problem. Your css calls for 3 variations of the Fontin font as follows:

So when the reader looks for the normal variation of the font, which is usually the most common font used throughout the book, it's not there since you don't have the font file Fontin-Regular.tff in the font directory. You only have Fontin-Bold.ttf installed. There's usually a 4th variation of the font called for in most css files for Bold Italic. I wouldn't think that's your problem in this instance though, it wouldn't be called for that often in books, but you might try adding in the 4th typical font also and in the css.

And it's probably just a typo for this forum, but make sure your fonts are named exactly the same as the css file names them, or they won't load. You have some listed as .tff, and the css file named .ttf. Probably a typo like I said, but double check exact spellings.
Thanks for that.
All sorted now.