Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
Jason
Jason began at the beginning.

Microsoft Home E-Reader will be launch on the first week of November

Accordind to Ricavision website homepage:sideshow product will be launch on the first week of November.
link:http://www.ricavision.com/
:http://www.ricavision.com/ricavision...e/ereader.html
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope it flops big time. I don't want a device that needs to have Vista. This thing is an abomination and deserves to die a stillborn life.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very interesting indeed. Might even be just what I need to get a Vista PC!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
I hope it flops big time. I don't want a device that needs to have Vista. This thing is an abomination and deserves to die a stillborn life.
Wow an editor of MobileRead hopes that a new device fails just because he does not like Vista. Seems kind of strange for me for a site that promotes electronic reading.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Wow an editor of MobileRead hopes that a new device fails just because he does not like Vista. Seems kind of strange for me for a site that promotes electronic reading.
You've made the invalid assumption that the Microsoft Home E-Reader has something to do with reading books.

All Microsoft business strategies are geared toward maintaining and extending their abusive monopoly.

If you add the fact that Vista is a horrible failure (even the Microsoft Cheerleaders are saying that you should use XP), JSWolf doesn't need to hope. The project is already doomed to fail.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
From some of what I've read about Vista, it's DRM restrictions and "security" features only tend to harm the innocent. Plus the amount of hassle I've seen for people to get software to run is crazy. Book Designer is a prime example. I really think Microsoft dropped the ball big time on Vista. Now to have some company come out with an expensive gadget like an eink device and make it rely on Vista for functionality is asking for trouble. Will DRM get in the way of this device and cause it to have problems? And it doesn't say what sort of content this thing will handle.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From some of what I've read about Vista, it's DRM restrictions and "security" features only tend to harm the innocent.
Its restrictions on HD video, yes, I completely agree with you there.

Quote:
Plus the amount of hassle I've seen for people to get software to run is crazy. Book Designer is a prime example. I really think Microsoft dropped the ball big time on Vista.
But I don't agree with you about that. When software doesn't run properly on Vista, it's because the programmers ignored the "rules". Follow documented ways of doing things, and it all works just fine. The version of my astronomy software I wrote for Windows 95 works perfectly on Vista, for example, because I did it "right". BD does not do things the right way (eg it writes to its application directory, something which has never been permissible to do). Blame the developers of the misbehaving apps, not Vista.

Quote:
Now to have some company come out with an expensive gadget like an eink device and make it rely on Vista for functionality is asking for trouble. Will DRM get in the way of this device and cause it to have problems? And it doesn't say what sort of content this thing will handle.
"Sideshow" is one of the "coolest" features of Vista. I'm absolutely delighted to see device come out which use it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Again, Windows only. That's going to piss off everyone on OS X and Linux for sure.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
It doesn't piss me off, I'm just not interested.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
The specs in the article are a bit light, but it seems to me that this is just another incarnation of a previously failed MS device. I forget what it's called, but it was an LCD tablet that wirelessly connected to your home PC, running WinXP.

In both cases, these devices can only show you what is being served up by your PC. You can't take the device elsewhere and read a book on it (or do anything else). Just as with the previous product, this is a stupid idea and will fail. A few people will find it useful to them, but the vast majority will not, especially considering the cost of the hardware.

The only reason MS does a product like this is to try to increase the adoption of its operating system and related software. They don't ever do hardware that is genuinely useful without their other software. Yes, I know they are a software company. However, they are big enough to actually turn out useful hardware designs that aren't crippled and extremely proprietary. They just chose not to. (My opinion, of course).
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
You've made the invalid assumption that the Microsoft Home E-Reader has something to do with reading books.

All Microsoft business strategies are geared toward maintaining and extending their abusive monopoly.

If you add the fact that Vista is a horrible failure (even the Microsoft Cheerleaders are saying that you should use XP), JSWolf doesn't need to hope. The project is already doomed to fail.
My assumption was not invalid, it was based on information I gained on doing research on the device.

From the companies brochure:

http://www.ricavision.com/brochure_p...me_ereader.pdf

"As small and lightweight as a single book, the Ricavision Home E-Reader allows users to download and take along newspapers, books, and documents, or upload them to share with family, friends, or co-workers."

The more I read about this product the more interested I am in it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
T A few people will find it useful to them, but the vast majority will not, especially considering the cost of the hardware.
Could you tell please tell me what the costs of the hardware is?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
The specs in the article are a bit light, but it seems to me that this is just another incarnation of a previously failed MS device. I forget what it's called, but it was an LCD tablet that wirelessly connected to your home PC, running WinXP.

In both cases, these devices can only show you what is being served up by your PC. You can't take the device elsewhere and read a book on it (or do anything else). Just as with the previous product, this is a stupid idea and will fail. A few people will find it useful to them, but the vast majority will not, especially considering the cost of the hardware.
No, that's not how "Sideshow" works. The PC will exchange content with the device, but the information will be stored independently on the device. The PC will only be required to transfer data, rather like "synching" a PDA.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't think Slideshow is a bad idea. as long as there is also a USB port to get content over when you don't have Slideshow access. If I had this reader and was using my computer, I'd be on XP and no Slideshow. So unless they gave me a way to get content over to this device independent of Slideshow, it would be totally useless to me.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Perhaps there will be another way - we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the idea of wireless content download is attractive to some people - iRex push it as a selling point for the iLiad, for example.