Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Calibre and raspberry pi

Has anyone installed Calibre on Raspberry pi?
Regards
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There would be quite a lot of work in trying to get it to run on the Raspberry Pi (assuming it even can within the resource constraints of the Raspberry Pi).

The standard distribution of Calibre assumes an Intel based machine and as such it will not run on the Raspberry Pi which is ARM based.

The question then becomes what is involved in producing an ARM version compatible with the Pi? The Main Calibre program is written in Python, and this would not be an issue as the Pi already ahs Python support included in the standard distributions. However it does have components written in other languages that would need porting, and it has a LOT of dependencies on other packages from third parties.. This means that you would need to build to get all of these ported to the Pi to give you the needed ARM compatible versions.

At the end of getting all that working I think you would find that Calibre would run like a dog at best (although I would like to be proved wrong).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
angriest
angriest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Hi Ottischwenk, just wanted to say that calibre is in the standard repos on Raspbian (sudo apt-get install calibre -y). All the dependencies are there (but it will take a long time for apt-get to download and set them up). I've only used it in the commandline (ebook-convert and mail, which works fine), not the gui, but I'm guessing the GUI should work within the X environment - like Itimpi says, would be slow as molasses though.
angriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
federicot
federicot began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I just installed calibre on my RaspberryPI, simply using apt-get.
It seems to work fine, although I used it only from command line, too.
And I accessed it from the web via calibre-server.
Not the fastest response I ever had, but working perfectly fine.
federicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
rossb
rossb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9" HD
Installed Calibre from Raspian repositories, (either apt-get install calibre, or use Aptitude or Synaptic if installed.) Version from repositories is 8.5. Works as far as I can tell in GUI. Problem is I have a Kindle Fire HD and it uses MTP protocol which was not supported until Calibre 9.x.

Downloaded current 9.x Calibre from website and followed directions. System still runs 8.5.

Set up a fresh Raspian CF card without install of Calibre 8.5. Then downloaded current Calibre 9.x as per the website. It is installed into /opt. Does not show up in the GUI menu system. Trying to run from command line says not found.

Any suggestions to getting it to run?
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This came up earlier in the thread. The only way you would get it to run is to build Calibre and all its dependencies from source. The binary download from the Calibre site which includes all dependencies already built only works with Intel processors.

It is possible at some point this may happen, but it is a non-trivial task.

Last edited by itimpi; 04-19-2013 at 08:04 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
I have installed Calibre on my Raspberry Pi and copied my Calibre Library from PC to a USB flash drive and accessing that library now on the Raspberry Pi via the USB drive attached to Raspberry Pi. Calibre Library is also available through the Calibre Server on the Raspberry Pi via browsers on iPad, etc. Using Samba, Raspberry Pi is also now part of my Windows network so have made the Calibre Library on the Raspberry Pi USB my main library and books added to the library on the PC are then available through the Raspberry Pi Calibre Server. I keep Raspberry Pi on constantly so Calibre library is always available. Now need to investigate if I can access the library when away from local wifi network!!!
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Another solution is running full Calibre under Ubuntu on a Andorid TV stick. Mine use MK802 model and store my Calibre library on Buffalo NAS Linkstation Live. You may use USB drive to store the library without using a more complicated NAS.

With this setup, it consumes only 4-5 watts, with wifi on all the time.

With VNC installed on the stick, I can control my stick remotely with any VNC viewer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202659

Performance wise, it is more than acceptable with over 3000 ebooks in the library.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Looks like there is now a package available. Haven't tried it but intend to soon.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...r-with-Calibre
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It may be easier to keep calibre up to date by using archlinuxarm. The ARM packages are built automatically since there is a PKGBUILD in the Arch repos.

http://archlinuxarm.org/packages?arch=&search=calibre
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It may be easier to keep calibre up to date by using archlinuxarm. The ARM packages are built automatically since there is a PKGBUILD in the Arch repos.

http://archlinuxarm.org/packages?arch=&search=calibre
Arch is a great distribution which I used for some time though never on a Respberry Pi. Calibre updates so often a PKGBUILD would be useful, though I tend to skip a lot of upgrades unless they have features useful to me or my version is getting too far out of date.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
DamnedOwl
DamnedOwl began at the beginning.

Device: none
In relation to running calibre on the ARM version of Arch for the Raspberry Pi, has anyone actually got it fully working?

I can get the calibre gui up and running perfectly fine on both Pi as well as the Pi 2, what I can't do though is get the ebook viewer working.

calibre-debug -w gives me:

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

This is for the latest calibre version, by the way, 2.19
DamnedOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried searching on that DRI2 error? Googling for it does show me various hits which often seem to mention wrong libraries being used.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote