Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Photoshop cover templates/tips for Kindle?

I am a Photoshop novice and am trying to work out how to do a decent basic cover layout for a Kindle ebook. Can anyone either walk me through the basic procedure or point me to a template that works for this? All I need is the most basic title/author/image layout.
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I'm not sure how you could usefully create a template for that, because making it look good will depend on your image, the length of your title, the length of your name, etc.

Start with a reasonably sized image. For Kindle, I think they recommend 600 (w) x 800 (h).

Choose an image that has some areas without a lot of detail (solid sky, for example) and place the most important info—title, author—in those areas using the largest font size that will fit comfortably.

Use more than one font, but not too many. For example, you might use a heavy sans-serif typeface for the title and a medium-weight serif typeface for everything else. Either way, if you use more than one font, make sure they fall into different categories of fonts (e.g. one serif, one sans, not two sans).
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Well, actually you'd be better served if you started bigger... 1600x2560 (that's 1.6 ratio width to height)... that's the image for Amazon's product page... new image guidelines from last summer. Most of my clients go even larger though. You can always size down, but not up without loosing resolution. For the actual eBook cover on the book... I embed in the epub and mobi files an 800x1280. 72ppi cover in the metadata. Amazon actually suggests 300ppi for the product page cover. iBooks wants the 1600x2560 pixel cover too.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Good point. I forgot Amazon required a bigger image for their product pages.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote