Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Question Just Curious: Format of Author Field

Hi There,

I've been wondering the answer to this and haven't found the answer mentioned here on the forum or in the Calibre User Guide or FAQ.

I've seen mention that it is preferable to have the author's name listed in the Author field as "FirstName LastName", rather than "LastName, FirstName" (as it is in the Author Sort field), but no answer as to why.

Is there a particular reason for that?

I just ask because I'm a librarian and we tend to use the "LastName, FirstName" format, so I was hoping to do it that way for both the Author and the Author Sort fields in my Calibre library.

Any reason I should not do that? For instance, will it screw up things when I send it to my device (which is a Kindle 3)? And/or does it mess up the metadata file in Calibre?

Thanks in advance for any guidance/clarity you can give!
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
I've seen mention that it is preferable to have the author's name listed in the Author field as "FirstName LastName", rather than "LastName, FirstName" (as it is in the Author Sort field), but no answer as to why.
It's not preferred, but it is the default. You are free to do it LN, FN if you wish. Look at Preferences|Advanced|Tweaks to see how to set up the tweak for your preferred method.

If you have questions, there are several users who can guide you on the ins and outs of this. Just post here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use LN,FN format exclusively. I have a sony, not a kindle, but I can't see why the order of the author name would matter unless the kindle thinks it should sort on the last word.

If you use LN,FN order, you will need to change the 'tweak' that tells calibre how to determine the author_sort value for a new author. Change it to either 'copy' or 'comma' (read the tweak doc for the difference). You might also need to reset all the author sort values, which is easily done from the Manage Authors dialog. Right-click on any author in the tags pane to get to the dialog.

You can also use the manage authors dialog to make author_sort differ from author. You might do this depending on how you handle Asian names and western names with 'von', 'van', 'de', etc.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It's not preferred, but it is the default. You are free to do it LN, FN if you wish.
Cool. Just wanted to be sure I wouldn't mess things up (sort-wise) on my K3 if I format it that way in the Author field.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you use LN,FN order, you will need to change the 'tweak' that tells calibre how to determine the author_sort value for a new author. Change it to either 'copy' or 'comma' (read the tweak doc for the difference). You might also need to reset all the author sort values, which is easily done from the Manage Authors dialog. Right-click on any author in the tags pane to get to the dialog.

You can also use the manage authors dialog to make author_sort differ from author.
Oh, wow. That's excellent information. Thanks, chaley!
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Oh, wow. That's excellent information. Thanks, chaley!
Chaley (aka Charles ) is the author of that tweak (and many others.) He stubbornly insisted on using LN, FN order. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish shades of gray between stubbornness, persistence and hardheadedness. Sometimes they are a virtue.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote