Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Question No Avaliable format ? ? ?

I had downloaded several books from Manybooks. I am sure that I clicked on epub as the format.

Some however are showing no type of format below and when I click to open them up a window states that there is no avaliable format. Do I need to redownload them? Will it overwrite what I have, or do I need to delete them and then redownload the books?

What is also confusing i that is that some of them (haven't checked them all) which are on my reader show up fine. I can read them there.

So do I just ignore it? I had wanted to correct some problems, grammer and such but now can't, I can ignore the problems if I have to; they are not so bad that I can't overlook them while reading the books.

checked some more books and some with the message are from other sites also. So, it just isn't Manybooks that seem to have the problem. Although I don't think it is their error, most likely mine.

Last edited by Janette55; 04-16-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette55 View Post
I had downloaded several books from Manybooks. I am sure that I clicked on epub as the format.

Some however are showing no type of format below and when I click to open them up a window states that there is no avaliable format. Do I need to redownload them? Will it overwrite what I have, or do I need to delete them and then redownload the books?

What is also confusing i that is that some of them (haven't checked them all) which are on my reader show up fine. I can read them there.

So do I just ignore it? I had wanted to correct some problems, grammer and such but now can't, I can ignore the problems if I have to; they are not so bad that I can't overlook them while reading the books.

checked some more books and some with the message are from other sites also. So, it just isn't Manybooks that seem to have the problem. Although I don't think it is their error, most likely mine.
I marked some words that have me confused (not hard to do ).
Downloaded: What did you do after the download? Calibre only downloads selected news. Calibre does not download books and add them to your Library. You must do that step.
Click to open them: Where/What do you click?

Is it possible that you are using "Send to Device and delete from Library" (default Action setting )?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Sorry, I guess I was expecting someone to have read my mind,

I downloaded them to my computer then transfer them to Calibre.

They are listed in a row of books, the author, title series and such. That is the library, right?

I doubleclicked a chosen book and the book "opens" to show me the book, cover, table of contents (if there is one) and story. That happens when the book is formated as epub, LRF or PRC.

But the books that show no format, when I doubleclick on them a window shows up stating:

Error: Cannot view
an X The title has no avaliable format
two boxes, one says ok and the other says copy to clipboard.

What is confusing is that some of the books I had sent to my reader quite a while back and have read some of them. I checked a couple of the others and they seem to be on my reader fine. I have approximately a hundred that I was going to work on the corrections needed before I sent them to the reader.

I just can't open them in the library to do any corrections needed to the books, grammer an such.

There 77 (out of 293) of them, from various sites; indie, MR, Manybooks, Feedbooks and unknown.

hope that give the info needed.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Somehow the underlyIng ebook files seem to have been removed from your Calibre library even though the database entry is still there. It is still not clear from your description how that might have happened.

If you have the books on your device, you could connect it, and then click on the Device view to get e list of books on the reader and right-click the book and use the Copy to Library option to get a copy of the file back into your library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You might want to run Check Library, which is found by clicking the little down-pointing arrow on the library icon, choosing library maintenance, then check library. That will check if formats (the underlying ebook files) have disappeared, and will also tell you if they are hiding somewhere where they shouldn't be.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Janette55
Connoisseur

dicked the check library and it said was fine but asked if I wanted to check files in library to see if they matched info in the database. I told it to do so and it showed:

Missing book formats and also unknown files in books

Could this have been caused when calibre was switched from my old computer to my new one? Had to get a new computer and a guy hubby knows who is over the computer department said he would do the transferring for me. I asked him to just transfer over Calibre, my pictures, word docs and favorites (internet), the rest was junk so I didn't care if I lost it. Could in the process something have happened to the files?

From looking at the ones missing, they are the ones that I had in the library first, the others have been added after the swtching.

So, now what? They are all freebies, I can replace them without any problems if it would be easier to just delete them from Calibre and my reader. I had planned on giving them new covers anyhow, and learning how to fix problems such as spelling, grammer (if that is easy to do, I'm not a computer person, in stages I would be in toddler )