Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #11371
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
1. C. Impossible to tell. Adam is looking at Ben, but we don't know whether Ben is married or unmarried. Ben is looking at Caleb, but the same yields. We don't know whether Caleb is looking back at Ben (Caleb could have his back turned at Ben), so without knowing the status of Ben, nothing is certain.

2. B. It's 50% chance, so the odds can't be said to be in my favour (assuming "odds in my favour" <=> "odds > 50%"). Unless, of course, that I choose to gamble even though I don't enjoy it

3. A, B and C. Both the car and the bicycle has the same distance from London when they meet. So if only one answer is allowed, C is the only possibility. If one or more answers are allowed, A and B is my guess
1&2: no.

3. Yes, C is the only sensible answer, for once. 1 point to Iznogood.

I'll need explanations from people for 1 & 2 now, if you want the point.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #11372
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Umm.... while many amphibians have external gills at some point in their life, most (all?) fish gills are internal.
Biologically, gills are considered 'external.' They 'lead' to internal structures. The gills themselves, which you can see, and which most fishermen use to pick up larger fish as they can get their fingers into them from the outside, are external. Please don't pick up a human by his lungs...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #11373
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
For 1. I'm with Iznogood, though I'm sure you'll put us right

2. I'd take the bet, as for each roll of the dice there is a 1 in 6 chance of getting a 6. You can't add up the 3 rolls and say it is a 50/50 chance of getting a 6.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #11374
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
2. I'd take the bet, as for each roll of the dice there is a 1 in 6 chance of getting a 6. You can't add up the 3 rolls and say it is a 50/50 chance of getting a 6.
I believe you're right - I was too fast in my reasoning. The chance of not getting a six in three rolls is
(5/6)^3, which is 0.57. The chance of getting a 6 is less than the chance of not getting one

Last edited by Iznogood; 03-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #11375
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just worked out 1.

If Ben is unmarried, then Adam (married) is looking at an unmarried person, so the answer is yes. If Ben is Married, then he is looking at Caleb (married), so again the answer is yes, a married person is looking at an unmarried person.
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #11376
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For 1. I'm with Iznogood, though I'm sure you'll put us right

OK, you get the point for 2. Yes, you should the bet because you have a better than 0.57 chance of winning, as the chance of rolling at least one six in three rolls is a little less than 0.43
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #11377
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I just worked out 1.

If Ben is unmarried, then Adam (married) is looking at an unmarried person, so the answer is yes. If Ben is Married, then he is looking at Caleb ([un]married), so again the answer is yes, a married person is looking at an unmarried person.
Well done, Orlok! (I've fixed your statement, but you have it right.)

That's two for you, so you get to set the next quiz.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #11378
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well done, Orlok! (I've fixed your statement, but you have it right.)

That's two for you, so you get to set the next quiz.
Thanks for the fix - I did it whilst on two phone calls at the same time as we stress test our call centre system...

Give me a few while I think of a quiz after writing up the call results.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #11379
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Here's a few general knowledge questions:

1. The parents of the actress Natalie Wood were of which nationality?

2. Who wrote the song 'Manic Monday' which was released by The Bangles in 1986?

3. What is the name of the brightest star in the night sky?

4. Which flower was declared the national flower of Mexico in 1963?

5. Bodega Bay is the setting for which 1963 suspense/ horror film?

And for an extra point, which one word provides a common link to all the answers?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #11380
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
On 3, which hemisphere are we talking about?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #11381
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
On 3, which hemisphere are we talking about?
It doesn't matter - it's just the brightest star. If I asked which was the world's tallest building, you wouldn't ask which hemisphere, would you?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #11382
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
1. Russian
5. The Birds
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #11383
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
1. Russian
5. The Birds
Both correct, 2 points.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #11384
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

2 Prince (or whatever he goes by now)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #11385