Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
ViewSonic G Tablet with Android 2.2 and Tegra 2 Processor $400

http://www.talkandroid.com/22540-vie...processor-400/

The price is tempting
This seems like the first 10inc android tablet with good specs
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
http://www.talkandroid.com/22540-vie...processor-400/

The price is tempting
This seems like the first 10inc android tablet with good specs
I think the price is too high. Tablets don't need to be so expensive. I hope others follow B&N's lead and produce some quality tablets in the $250-300 range.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
dual core, 10 inch, 16gig, not locked down

almost surely available online w/o sales tax, so you are getting all of the above for an extra 125 bucks.

maybe not a slam dunk, but pretty darn competitive
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
not locked down
As in no custom UI and consumers can upgrade Android on their own without relying on ViewSonic to do so?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
as in no 51 step rooting process to load up Kindle and Angry Birds and have to worry you'll get zapped with an auto update that sets you back to square one if you forget to turn off the wifi and drive by a McDonalds

I like the Nook Color and almost pulled the trigger. Only thing that really stopped me was the skinny screen ratio--too much scrolling to read PDFs in landscape. Got me a cheapie to last until next Xmas. Very confident 300 bucks will net a very nice 10 inch tablet by then.

Looks like the reviews on this tablet are pretty mediocre. If I had to buy something today I'd probably go with the Archos 101 for 300 bucks. But like I said, I suspect I can get something for that price next year that won't leave me feeling like I compromised.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
as in no 51 step rooting process to load up Kindle and Angry Birds and have to worry you'll get zapped with an auto update that sets you back to square one if you forget to turn off the wifi and drive by a McDonalds

I like the Nook Color and almost pulled the trigger. Only thing that really stopped me was the skinny screen ratio--too much scrolling to read PDFs in landscape. Got me a cheapie to last until next Xmas. Very confident 300 bucks will net a very nice 10 inch tablet by then.

Looks like the reviews on this tablet are pretty mediocre. If I had to buy something today I'd probably go with the Archos 101 for 300 bucks. But like I said, I suspect I can get something for that price next year that won't leave me feeling like I compromised.
For me, 10" is too big and I'd be prone to leave it at home. I'm not sure if I need to root. The main thing missing now is flash, so I'll be glad when 2.2 arrives.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

It's not a finished product. Apparently even though it is a dual core Tecra2 it only use one chip.

Since this device does not have the market there will be some tweaking needed on this device to get the Kindle app and angry birds, (though you can get angry birds from getjar.

This device is also extreamly sluggish. I'm thinking if viewsonic does release the source the XDA developers would be able to make an OS version that can really make use of the hardware.

As of today however it is not a finished product.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote