Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #241
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne999 View Post
Thanks. That's good to know. I don't mind the ads that much afterall.

However I think I made a mistake buying the 3G version. I thought I could insert my own chosen SIM card and navigate as I please. Now it turns out to be Amazon-only 3G plus additional 20g heavier weight to the device and extra cost. In retrospect I'd have bought the non 3G version.
You probably can.

The other models have the SIM card holder internal to the case.
You just have to open the case.
And Amazon sells the un-activated SIM cards.

I haven't seen the insides of a Kpw+3G - -
Why don't you tear yours down and snap some photos for us?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #242
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwuser View Post
... As for the naming: how about JB²Patch or JBPatch² or PW-JB²
Using superscript characters in a name is just asking for trouble. Try searching MobileRead for those names.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #243
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
If you simply block ip ranges inside the kindle or mess its lookup tables up might not completely work unless the store and cloud are on independend servers. Preventing calling home for no more spying might not be as easy without crippling nice-to-have features. Just saying.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #244
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you simply block ip ranges inside the kindle or mess its lookup tables up might not completely work unless the store and cloud are on independend servers. Preventing calling home for no more spying might not be as easy without crippling nice-to-have features. Just saying.
I only made the list.
If you want to edit it, to allow some services and deny others - your on your own there.

Have you investigated the network communications on your machine yet?

Is what you consider nice-to-have features something common to the entire group of users?
Please list the "universal" nice-to-have features, maybe I can add notes to the general list.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #245
chadamorrill
chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.chadamorrill is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage (8th gen coming, though!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
happy reading
After reading the first 15 pages of this thread in their entirety, this is the post that made me laugh out loud. It is indeed ironic that these are Kindle users who purchased (or recieved) this device to read, yet reading the entire first post seems to be a stretch!

I, for one, am holding off on the PW until I have enough cash back to fund it, but jailbreaking will be the first thing I do. Thanks, ixtab, for what appears to be a fairly flawless jb!
chadamorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #246
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I only made the list.
If you want to edit it, to allow some services and deny others - your on your own there.

Have you investigated the network communications on your machine yet?

Is what you consider nice-to-have features something common to the entire group of users?
Please list the "universal" nice-to-have features, maybe I can add notes to the general list.
I see the list as to deny any communication. Two things, but only if you know them, would be nice to know about which ip ranges. So they can be optionally enabled - access to the cloud for purchased and uploaded content, and then buying books from the Kindle itself. Those I believe would be most useful to have enabled even if privacy is a concern.

Now I don't know about anybody else, but me personally would think that it is a bit paranoid to worry too much what information Amazon is collecting. I am afraid to ask google what information about me they have, most of it against my will or knowledge. I will still keep using google to search on the internet.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #247
knc1
Going Viral

The deal I proposed was for you to provide the universal "nice-to-have" features.
I would then annotate the lists.

Otherwise - it is just a list for the user (you) to adjust or ignore to your liking.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #248
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Aye. Now I understand. As soon as I find out what is needed (ipranges) for the cloud and store I will let you know so you can annotate your list.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #249
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
so, is there any noticeable decrease (or increase?) in performance after installing this jailbreak?

i remember when i jailbroke my iphone 3 (the last apple product i owned/will ever own) the whole phone became slow and unresponsive and it KILLED the battery life.

thanks devs!
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #250
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext233 View Post
so, is there any noticeable decrease (or increase?) in performance after installing this jailbreak?

i remember when i jailbroke my iphone 3 (the last apple product i owned/will ever own) the whole phone became slow and unresponsive and it KILLED the battery life.

thanks devs!
Installing jailbreak itself shouldn't change anything regarding responsiveness and battery life. However, it matters what you're installing AFTER jailbreak. When you'll run CPU-heavy application working all the time in the background, it will surely eat some battery
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #251
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
thanks for your reply. all i want to install are custom screensavers. i'm curious to hear other people's experiences too, though, regarding performance and battery life post-jailbreak.
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #252
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
thanks for your reply. all i want to install are custom screensavers. i'm curious to hear other people's experiences too, though, regarding performance and battery life post-jailbreak.
Not changes.
It just adds a MR certificate to check the package signatures.
One (small) file addition.

In the case of the 5.2.0 ... 5.3.1 JB in this thread - a few other files, but nothing that normally executes.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #253
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
"Jailbreak" is only an installer for custom certificate and rescue mode. The first one just allows you to install updates that are not signed by Amazon, and the second one is not used unless you want to. Nowadays there's also a bridge for reinstalling jailbreak after upgrades - which is only executed at boot time.

There is no physical way for it to affect performance or battery life.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #254
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Hi, any idea how to get in with a root or framework password? I tried the passwords listed here: http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html but no luck.

Does this JB reset the passwords?

Thanks,
Ben

*EDIT*
Btw, installed USBnet from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19#post2169819

Last edited by Fmstrat; 01-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #255
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The serial number must be uppercase for that tool. Use the fionaXXX (3 hex digits) or mario passwords.

Did you ever flash different firmware (i.e. Debrick it)? If so, you need to use the password in the firmware image (probably mario). The framework password has always been mario, but you cannot do much that is useful from framework (other than cat the shadow file to crack it with John and the fiona password list).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote