Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Confused about micro SD card for PE

I see lots of 16 gb+ micro SDHC cards, but I haven't seen any that are just micro SD. In fact, I bought a Memorex micro SDHC card at the campus bookstore today, and the PE doesn't recognize it and won't format it.

But I know that many of you are using larger memory SD cards in your PEs - can you tell me what you are getting? I would like to have one with an adapter so I can also use it in my EE. Thanks.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Minion
Minion began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I'm using a 8 gb microSDHC in mine. Usually newer devices can accept microSD or microSDHC.
Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
I see lots of 16 gb+ micro SDHC cards, but I haven't seen any that are just micro SD. In fact, I bought a Memorex micro SDHC card at the campus bookstore today, and the PE doesn't recognize it and won't format it.

But I know that many of you are using larger memory SD cards in your PEs - can you tell me what you are getting? I would like to have one with an adapter so I can also use it in my EE. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem with a new SDHC card and my EE. As soon as I put the SD card into the SD slot of my computer (the micro card should have come with an adapter) the PC recognized it. You need to Quick Format the SD Card FAT or FAT 32 (preferred) using your PC. Then it should work with the PE.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-22-2011 at 07:31 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
melitabel
Enthusiast

Ah -so format it on the PC instead of the Edge?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah -so format it on the PC instead of the Edge?
Yes. The Edge can't format it if it can't see it. Quick Format it with a PC, FAT32. That worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you as well. Plus this verifies the SD card is good.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I've found the eDGe can be a bit quirky about things like this. I took my Adata 8GB Micro SDHC out of my Nook Color and put it into my PE today to try it out (been using USB flash until now). It was recognized, but about a third of the e-ink side went black. Odd.

I left the card in and sent a book to the e-ink side and that fixed it. The chapters on the audiobooks accessed from the card were all wonky -- not in order (Part 1, Part 2, etc.) like they are on the Nook.

I ordered some additional USB drives and think I'll stick with those for the time being. They play the videos and audiobooks flawlessly.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Note the file system on the sd card may be NTFS rather than fat or fat32 and that can cause the PE to not recognize the card. obsessed2's advice is spoton. Also make sure you get a high quality card - I check out reviews on Newegg/Amazon.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
melitabel
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for clarifying. Thanks to Dian's comment, I am trying to remember why I wanted to switch to SD from the USB drives that I already have and know how to use.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Don't intend to hijack the OP's question, but is it certain that the PE needs a FAT32 (or FAT) partition to recognize an SD card?

Android is a modified form of Linux which uses EXT type partitions as the usual type.

I have not seen any explanation for the FAT type partition "requirement".

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesr0 View Post
Don't intend to hijack the OP's question, but is it certain that the PE needs a FAT32 (or FAT) partition to recognize an SD card?

Android is a modified form of Linux which uses EXT type partitions as the usual type.

I have not seen any explanation for the FAT type partition "requirement".

Steve
Linux has a certain number of file system types it supports. So does Windows. USB and SD Cards need to be formatted in a universal file system. This means no matter what kind of computer, tablet or phone you plug the USB or SD into you can view and modify the contents. That file system is FAT32.

Android can't execute Apps off of a FAT32 partition. An SD Card (or a USB thumb drive) normally comes stock formatted FAT32. Android 2.2 (Ermine is more Froyo like) and above support a partitioned SD card, one partition being FAT32 and the other partition EXT. The larger partition is normally FAT32 and the smaller partition is EXT. The FAT32 partition is still used for universal access of data and the EXT partition is used by Android 2.2 and above for external App storage.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-24-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
One thing that struck me when I opened the microSD slot yesterday to put my card in is that little rubber cover -- it doesn't look like it would last long if you change them out a lot (I tend to do that). It looks like, with a lot of use, it would eventually just break off.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
Wink

Using an Adata 32gb, MicroSDHC card since I setup my PE with no problems...
Color me happy

Quote:

Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Android 2.2 (Froyo - which the Ermine is not, it is more Froyo like)
Could you elaborate?
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Could you elaborate?
I thought I edited this to read Ermine is more Froyo like. Apparently I didn't. I didn't mean it wasn't a Froyo release. I toned down the sentence.

However, unlike my Viewsonic gTab which is also Froyo, the Entourage build lacks Flash Support, many of the Apps that require Android 2.2 or above that I run on my gTab won't run on the eDGE or cause it to lock up (some of these are probably due to Flash); some Apps that the eDGe should be able to run will not install at all; I can't move Apps to an external SD card without rooting; the stock browser crashes on the EE (I have better luck with xScope) and my camera takes martian pictures.

However, I wouldn't trade in Ermine on the eDGe for the world and I am very pleased with it overall.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
robinspocketedge
robinspocketedge began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
I just purchased the PE on Woot, upgraded to Ermine, etc. I tried installing a brand new out of the box 8GB microSD, and the PE said it was damaged. It offered to format it, which I chose, but then kept asking the question over and over without formatting. Don't have an SD slot on my computer to test it, so I don't know if its damaged or just formatted incorrectly. Any suggestions?
robinspocketedge is offline   Reply With Quote