Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
kylewbell
kylewbell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Anyone publish with XinXii?

I received a letter from XinXii asking to consider uploading my books to their site for sale. They claim to be the "leading digital text platform in Europe". I'm considering uploading my books to their site, but would first like to get some feedback from other authors that have used them. Please share your experience!
kylewbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Not much response to your question, Kyle. Speaking for myself, I'd never heard of them before your post. I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip, and let us know how you get on with them.

Welcome to MR, BTW.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
jumpingjack42
DiSpLaCeD
jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle 2
This is only the second time I've heard them mentioned. The other time was by one of my friends.
Must admit I'd consider any was to get my stuff on Barnes & Noble and on the Nook when I'm ready to, considering that pubit doesn't allow uk publishers without the US bank account.
jumpingjack42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Lily123
Lily123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I came across them today for the first time - claiming to be the leading ebook publisher. However, a google SEO only ranks them at 4 which is really low, I think.
Also, they don't do DRMs. So, if you have book sin a sector with a tightly knit communitiy - you'd have a problem with people passing the book around.

jumpingjack42: Being in Germany, I have the same problem as you. Nook, ibookstore don't let you sell books, if you don't have a US tax account and credit card. I got around it using Bookbaby.com and am very happy with their service.

On Amazon and Kobo I could upload myself directly.
Lily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjack42 View Post
This is only the second time I've heard them mentioned. The other time was by one of my friends.
Must admit I'd consider any was to get my stuff on Barnes & Noble and on the Nook when I'm ready to, considering that pubit doesn't allow uk publishers without the US bank account.
Have you tried BookBaby? They distribute to Amazon, the iBookstore, Sony and Barnes & Noble and they forward payment by PayPal so it doesn't matter where you are. Fast and efficient in my experience, with very good customer support. I hope they appreciate this plug.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Have you tried BookBaby? They distribute to Amazon, the iBookstore, Sony and Barnes & Noble and they forward payment by PayPal so it doesn't matter where you are. Fast and efficient in my experience, with very good customer support. I hope they appreciate this plug.
Any relation to CDBaby?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Also, they don't do DRMs. So, if you have book sin a sector with a tightly knit communitiy - you'd have a problem with people passing the book around.
If people are going to pass that book around, it only takes one person who knows how to run a DRM-stripping script to enable that passing around. If people are inclined to make illicit copies of your book in the first place, DRM won't stop them (I can refer you to any illegal download site of your choice for proof). You're far better off not using DRM, which only hurts the honest people, not the dishonest ones, and looking for ways to encourage more honest people.

Most people are honest.

Treating honest people like thieves -- and subjecting them to all of the inconveniences you want to heap on the thieves you can't actually catch -- can only make them less honest. Instead of winning, you lose.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
buttefly
buttefly began at the beginning.

Device: none
I totally agree with Worldwalker concerning the DRM: In my opinion, it's counterproductive to publish with DRM.

@kylewbell: I'm using XinXii since a couple of weeks, and I'm satisfied: Fair conditions (you don't have to pay anything, you get 70% per download, and they forward payment by PayPal), and they have a very fast support. As I promote my eBooks on several channels, I've already sold a few of them. For me, XinXii is a good solution.
buttefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Why would you consider people reading your book a problem?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Any relation to CDBaby?
Yes, I believe so.

How about one thread which doesn't mention DRM...?
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I believe so.

When someone recommends DRM, there are going to people who disagree with that. Given that the decision is a part of publishing, and people are asking about publishing, I don't think it's practical to expect them to leave some part out, even if it's been discussed elsewhere. It's like asking for a thread about publishing which doesn't mention, oh, agents.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
You'll be wanting one that doesn't mention piracy next.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
You'll be wanting one that doesn't mention piracy next.
Let's go all the way ... how about one that doesn't mention books?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
This actually does look interesting, but has anyone had practical experience with them? The only person raving about XinXii is a one post wonder.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #15
kylewbell
kylewbell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I use Smashwords (http://smashwords.com for those interested) to distribute my books to Sony, B&N, Kobo and Apple. I was just looking to use XinXii as an extra distribution option, but since virtually no one has used them, I'm pretty hesitant to hand over my books to them.
kylewbell is offline   Reply With Quote