Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Games on Kindle! Every Word and Shuffled Row

Well, we've all wondered (ok, at least I have) where the apps are, once Amazon released a developer's kit. It appears that two of them are now in the Kindle store and both are (currently free) games! The pictures show them being played on the newest Kindle, but I don't see any mention of which Kindle is required in the descriptions .... but, you can only purchase and download this title if you have a 2nd or 3rd generation Kindle or DX, it appears. Also, pick the kindle you send it to carefully. Unlike any books I've purchased, these can only be sent via whispernet once, it seems. After that, you'll have to transfer via USB cable to any of your other Kindle devices.

Every Word

If you like word scrambles then Every Word is the game for you. Test your vocabulary as you try to find as many words from the scrambled letters in this fun and fast-paced word game.

Here's how it works. You are given six or seven scrambled letters with the goal of finding as many words as you can. You score points by filling out the words in each empty spot on the board using only the letters that appear at the top of the game board. Keep at it until time runs out or until you fill up the board. The more words you make, the higher your score!

Your score is comprised of two components: first make a lot of words, second try to make the longest word possible in each scramble. The best way to increase your score is to do both, but it's a huge bonus to find the longest word possible. Why? Because when you do, you earn the right to play a completely new level with a brand new set of letters. As long as you keep finding the longest word, you can move on to a new level with a new jumble of letters and push your score higher and higher.

Shuffled Row

Can you keep up with Shuffled Row? See how many words you can make from 60 lettered tiles.

The tiles are added to your row one at a time so you'll constantly be working with a new set of letters. After you submit a word, the letters you used will be removed and new ones will be added. Increase your score by using less common letters. Create longer words and increase your score even more.

If you don't use the letters fast enough, they'll disappear and new ones will take their place, so you'll have to decide if you want to play it safe and use short words or try to wait for more letters to form longer words.

Test your vocabulary and how well you can think on your feet with Shuffled Row - try it today!
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Looks nifty, but unfortunately not available in Canada.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They're not available if you have a Kindle 1. I tried to order while they're free, since I'll likely get a K3 at some point, Amazon wouldn't let me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have the K2 (not the K2i), and Amazon says:
Quote:
Some of your Kindles do not have Kindle Software Version 2.5 which is required to use this title. To have Kindle Software 2.5 installed automatically, turn on wireless on these devices.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Preorder a K3, "buy" these, cancel the preorder.
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
They're not available if you have a Kindle 1. I tried to order while they're free, since I'll likely get a K3 at some point, Amazon wouldn't let me.
Try this (yes, it's sneaky). Order the K3 right now. Buy the two games. Go into your account and cancel the K3 order (or, leave it there to keep your place in line! )
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I guess they'll be on my K3 when it gets here. My K2 went back Friday (30 day window).
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm playing right now on my K2, so they work there! Or at least, "Every Word" works. I haven't tried the other one yet, but it downloaded with no problem.

"Every Word" is kind of like the Jumble puzzle in the newspaper, or maybe more like when the substitute teacher would write HAPPY HOLIDAYS on the blackboard and tell you to make as many words as you could out of those letters. :-)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Free game - Every Word Updated on Kindle

For those new to Kindle or who missed it the first time, you can once again purchase and download the game Every Word in the Kindle store. For those who already have this game, the one-click button reads Update Available and you can select which of your compatible Kindles to send it to right on the product page, rather than having to go to Manage My Kindle to do so. A new content warning has appeared that there may be words inappropriate for children (just as in any dictionary) and it's been missing from the store long enough that there must have been a team going thru every single word in the dictionary to block anything that might be considered remotely offensive to any particular category of adults (although I suspect that task will never be done). If you read the reviews, you'll find a number of one-star reviews given specifically due to the censorship being applied (although the original no doubt also had some words blocked itself, despite the title implying that every word in the dictionary must be used).

For those who don't have it, this is a fun game (and guaranteed time filler), while those who do will need to decide if they want to update their existing Kindle (for Kindles added to the account, you could still download the old version if it were in your archives, up to today, but may get the new version for future downloads). Unless you play a lot, the chances of running into the expunged words are no doubt fairly small, in any case. My biggest problem with the game is trying to figure out all the extremely obscure (and short) words that it uses.

If you like word scrambles then Every Word is the game for you. Test your vocabulary as you try to find as many words from the scrambled letters in this fun and fast-paced word game.

Here's how it works. You are given six or seven scrambled letters with the goal of finding as many words as you can. You score points by filling out the words in each empty spot on the board using only the letters that appear at the top of the game board. Keep at it until time runs out or until you fill up the board. The more words you make, the higher your score!

Your score is comprised of two components: first make a lot of words, second try to make the longest word possible in each scramble. The best way to increase your score is to do both, but it's a huge bonus to find the longest word possible. Why? Because when you do, you earn the right to play a completely new level with a brand new set of letters. As long as you keep finding the longest word, you can move on to a new level with a new jumble of letters and push your score higher and higher.

Please note: Every Word may contain content inappropriate for children.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
For those new to Kindle or who missed it the first time, you can once again purchase and download the game Every Word in the Kindle store.
No I can't - it says "Not currently available".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No I can't - it says "Not currently available".
Only available in the US.

Anyone know if there is a dedicated page to apps/games for the Kindle on Amazon.com? I looked and it appears they are amongst ebook listings.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Only available in the US.

Anyone know if there is a dedicated page to apps/games for the Kindle on Amazon.com? I looked and it appears they are amongst ebook listings.
Not as far as I can tell. The games published by Amazon are called "Kindle Active Content", but a search for that doesn't seem to restrict properly.

This was the closest I could find.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Ranga
Ranga began at the beginning.

great
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I've attached a screenshot. It's also showing up on a search of both games and free books, while before it would show no price at all.

This search will show all the games from Amazon (so far, the only ones, I think).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wCapture.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	58275  

Last edited by koland; 01-10-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I've attached a screenshot. It's also showing up on a search of both games and free books, while before it would show no price at all.

This search will show all the games from Amazon (so far, the only ones, I think).
Yeah, but there's no good way to just search for all games from all publishers. (Though from reviews, you may want to avoid the third-party games for now )

Example