Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
JooJoo Reviewed and HP Slate info

HP slate info from HP
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/h...-hour-battery/

This is a device I was 50/50 about but the info confirmed makes it a non contender for MY uses.

Key deficiencies

No speaker!!! having to carry a connector to upload camera images on iPad is annoying, having to carry a speaker so we can watch a film in hotel room on the HP is ridiculous.
5hr battery... not enough
smaller lower res screen than iPad... PDF viewing not gonna be as good
Windows 7... ok in some aspects this is fine and it works ok as touch HOWEVER its a big negative for me as the software it runs will not be touch optomised! EG Yay OI can run Word and Excel but oh I can hardly use them as tehy are designed for mouse use. the one thinh a reduces OS does like iPad is force designers to design for that specific device.

There is some good stuff confirmed to, HDMI out! front facing camera.

but for ME iPad is the better option as i will be browsing, reading, watching vids etc

JooJoo
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/f...joojoo-review/

ugh dont get me started! I thought this was a contender but look at a few of these choice quotes/info

"You can use the USB port to charge the device, but that's all it will do since the operating system is completely browser-based and doesn't allow for side loading music, video, or pictures."

"A purely web-based device needs to have excellent navigation features, and the JooJoo... doesn't have those. As we were telling a friend, there's so much wrong with it that it we're just not sure where to begin."#

But it has FLASH
"That means some regular-sized YouTube and Hulu works, as decoded by the CPU, but full screen Hulu is jittery, and a 720p YouTube clip is like watching a slideshow."

FLASH there goes the battery
"First, it causes the entire tablet to get quite warm (especially when playing Flash video) and then it murders its battery life. The JooJoo's integrated three-cell battery repeatedly lasted 2.5 hours (just as we predicted!) during our moderate use, which included surfing the Web and playing short videos."

What are peoples thoughts can these devices compete with iPad for the general user market?

Will you be getting either?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
typed in the wrong box

Last edited by Dopedangel; 04-06-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Oops
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
HP slate info from HP ... No speaker!!!
I'm not sure we can infer from the stat sheet that the HP slate doesn't have a speaker. It's not mentioned in the ports, but speakers aren't always mentioned, and note that the iPad speakers aren't listed as a threat.

No internal speaker would be a very odd design choice for a machine running Windows 7.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I think you are jumping to conclusions about the speaker, given that they have taken the time to include a camera that could only be intended for video calling it seems very unlikely that they won't include any kind of speaker, also if you intend watching it in a hotel then using the hdmi out and connecting it to the tv would seem a good option in any case.

Also, win7 is a lot better when it comes to being touch-enabled and it will presumably be using a newer version of the touchsmart ui hp uses on existing tablet pcs.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The JooJoo review doesn't totally condemn it. Although battery life appears to be a definite hardware issue, the majority of the problems are in software. If they can get that updated quickly enough they may be able to salvage some of their rapidly-vanishing market. I think they'll need to drop the price to compete though.

Graham
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think you are jumping to conclusions about the speaker, given that they have taken the time to include a camera that could only be intended for video calling it seems very unlikely that they won't include any kind of speaker, also if you intend watching it in a hotel then using the hdmi out and connecting it to the tv would seem a good option in any case.

Also, win7 is a lot better when it comes to being touch-enabled and it will presumably be using a newer version of the touchsmart ui hp uses on existing tablet pcs.
Could be right but they do list the speaker on the iPad but not on their device why would they do that?
maybe they expect us to use the headphone port?

To be fair I'M not jumping to a conclusion im using THEIR information sheet and THEY do list speakers under ports for their competition...

Most of the places I go do have a HD tv but certainly not all of them!

oh yeh win 7 is fine but will the software that runs on win7 all be optomised for touch only navigation? clearly the answer is NO therefore for me having win 7 and being able to run ANY software kind of starts to lose its appeal.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Their leaked information, that stuff is not a complete specsheet if you read the articles.

Personally, I'm going to reserve judgement on all these various tablets until I get a chance to try them out for myself, jumping to conclusions about things like their usability just seems a bit silly to me.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Their leaked information, that stuff is not a complete specsheet if you read the articles.

Personally, I'm going to reserve judgement on all these various tablets until I get a chance to try them out for myself, jumping to conclusions about things like their usability just seems a bit silly to me.
Oh I agree but the JooJoo info is a proper review and if it cant run FLASH why would anyone want it it does seem even though JooJoo is shipping that it may be worth revisiting in a few months but the issues make it a definite NoNo for right now.

HP slate isnt even released but it is worth noting that the spec sheet leaked is one that HP have created and officially distributed to their staff and it doesnt according to that have a speaker and it does only get 5hrs battery life even forgetting teh speaker that battery life is a massive let down.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Neither of these tablets will be anything but minor sellers.

The Joojoo had 90 pre-orders. 90. Consumers don't care and for good reason which thee review covered. The HP Slate has plenty of flaws and it's not even a real product yet. There's no excitement over a Window 7 tablet. They exist right now. When the Slate is released it will go sit on shelves with all the other ones.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Crowl
Wizard

I ignored the parts of the post about the joojoo, the device just seems like a bad idea to me.

It isn't a spec sheet, its a comparison sheet i.e. something that is probably intended for their sales and marketing to consider when covering the device.

As far as the 5 hours, obviously longer would be better, but to be fair, I expect similar to a netbook out of any tablet I would buy and wouldn't expect phone or ebook reader battery life out of them because I simply wouldn't use one as long.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Neither of these tablets will be anything but minor sellers.

The Joojoo had 90 pre-orders. 90. Consumers don't care and for good reason which thee review covered. The HP Slate has plenty of flaws and it's not even a real product yet. There's no excitement over a Window 7 tablet. They exist right now. When the Slate is released it will go sit on shelves with all the other ones.
The slate and any other win7 tablets will do better than tablet pcs for just the same reason as an ipad, the form factor suits media consumption and while the slate has flaws so does the ipad. In any case, more variety is good for us as consumers since the competition will force the hardware makers to work harder.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
Graham
Wizard

Even the launch and critical reception of the JooJoo is useful, as I'm sure Google are watching it closely. If they develop a Chrome OS tablet it would be similar in concept to the JooJoo - browser-based. They can learn from the JooJoo's mistakes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000034-264.html

Graham
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Reasons not to buy an iPad
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18353/1/
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Thats as biased negatively as I am positevly
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Too biased to be useful, but I was amused by:

Quote:
You end up carrying it like a dinner tray and people insist on putting their coffee on it
so thanks for the link.

Graham