Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
timewyrm
timewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Glo
I seem to have got it working now (thanks to suggestion from a member on here). I deleted the books from my sd card, and then dragged and dropped my epubs straight on the sd card, without using caliber. I currently have 855 books on the sd card, and "shelves" takes approximately 6 seconds to load (which I'm more than happy with!), and "books" loading is down to 4 seconds.

There's only one problem that I've got to sort out, and that is that I can't read some of the book names on the Glo.
For example, I've got a book called "Doctor Who - The Movie" (series: Doctor Who - 8th Doctor (shelf: Doctor Who - 8th Doctor)).
In Caliber, it shows up fine (as Doctor Who - The Movie), and exactly the same on the list for "Card A" in Caliber. But in "shelves", it shows up as:

"Doctor Who - 8th Doctor 01". The line above it lists the author, and the line below just says "Doctor Who - 8th Doctor 01".

I don't have any plugins enabled in the metadata plugboard
timewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #47
timewyrm
timewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Glo
So, I've tried using plugins (from the shelves management thread). I've tried unchecking the "set series information" from the config box. I've tried renaming the series to a single letter. None of these actions seem to visibly make any difference what so ever.
Caliber is still updating the metadata for the books (eg. if I rename a book, or a series), but apart from that, it wont update how the information is displayed on the shelves.
timewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
That's not true at all I have over 246 shelves and my open time is 1 min 15 secs no where near the 2.5 mins timewyrm has for his small number of shelves. I have on some of those shelves over 200 books.
My testing is that the more shelves I have, the slower the longer it takes to display the shelf list. And the more books that are on the shelves, the longer it takes to display the shelf list. I am not trying to say anything beyond that. But, I am surprised that yours is running so much faster than for timewyrm. But it does make me thing tha ttimewyrm is having other issues with the device.

Quote:
So therefore the logic would be there is more inconsistency with the coding and handleing of things on kobos part and tie that up with the penchant for kobo to run multiple firmware versions of the supposed same firmware makes one wonder if they really have any clue as to what needs to be done.
Have you ever unpacked the files in the firmware packages? If you do and compare the packages for the different devices at the same firmware version, you will find there are very few difference. The differences are in the image for the drive. And exactly what fonts are on the devices. Nearly all the code the devices are running is identical. How can they do what you are saying if they are running the same code?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
What might be interesting, rather than comparing the number of books, shelves etc when considering speed, might be the size of the SQL database on the Glo.

The speed problems mentioned seem to relate to how the device uses the database so its size could be relevant.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #50
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Do the Kobo devices note use the SQLite database? If so then could some size not be clawed back by running a VACUUM or whatever the SQLite equivalent is to compact the database and gain back unused space from deleted rows?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they are using SQLite. And I have done a compress on them in the past. I don't remember that it reduced the file size by much. I didn't notice any performance improvements.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #52
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Ah, ok, that scuttles that idea then!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #53
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My testing is that the more shelves I have, the slower the longer it takes to display the shelf list. And the more books that are on the shelves, the longer it takes to display the shelf list. I am not trying to say anything beyond that. But, I am surprised that yours is running so much faster than for timewyrm. But it does make me thing tha ttimewyrm is having other issues with the device.

Have you ever unpacked the files in the firmware packages? If you do and compare the packages for the different devices at the same firmware version, you will find there are very few difference. The differences are in the image for the drive. And exactly what fonts are on the devices. Nearly all the code the devices are running is identical. How can they do what you are saying if they are running the same code?
Curious, can the sql be deleted and rebuilt in the Glo?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Curious, can the sql be deleted and rebuilt in the Glo?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you do a logout, the device will create a new database for you. The database is empty and the device asks you to login again. Taking a copy of that is probably the best backup and restart from scratch database there is.

You can load the database on the PC and extract the DDL. I have done this with the betas and then compare the extracts as a quick way to see the changes. The DDL could be used to create a new empty database if you wanted to. And you could export all the data and reimport it into an empty database. That might give better performance.

You can also rebuild the indexes. That might be a good idea for someone who has done a big import of files. Rebuilding the indexes might clean up the organisation and speed things up.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #55
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. If you do a logout, the device will create a new database for you. The database is empty and the device asks you to login again. Taking a copy of that is probably the best backup and restart from scratch database there is.

You can load the database on the PC and extract the DDL. I have done this with the betas and then compare the extracts as a quick way to see the changes. The DDL could be used to create a new empty database if you wanted to. And you could export all the data and reimport it into an empty database. That might give better performance.

You can also rebuild the indexes. That might be a good idea for someone who has done a big import of files. Rebuilding the indexes might clean up the organisation and speed things up.
hmmmm sounds complicated
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote