Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #76
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i now get it,

When I look at your location on Google Maps it looks like some type of mall or something?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am reading s that when we get to the point of books that looks like they have no chance of winning, they don't get voted on even if they may have been the ones wanted. So what happens if the two or three books that have a chance of winning get voted on. And the ones that have no chance of winning won't win because of this. If everyone actually voted for what was wanted and NOT because it might be a wasted vote, then we may very well have a different result.

What is the problem with giving a blind vote a try? Does it mean that because you won't be seeing who voted for what, you cannot make up your own minds? I'm getting that sort of vibe from some.

Be honest here... who did not vote for the book he/she wanted because it seems to have no chance of winning and instead voted for one of the the two front runners instead?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the problem with giving a blind vote a try? Does it mean that because you won't be seeing who voted for what, you cannot make up your own minds? I'm getting that sort of vibe from some.
I expect most people would try it at least once. But, doing it via PM is going to make participation go down quite a bit, and we don't want that.

BOb
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I expect most people would try it at least once. But, doing it via PM is going to make participation go down quite a bit, and we don't want that.

BOb
Well, unless someone wants to write custom voting code, there's noting else we can do. Unless we can get Alex to strip out the see poll results link even if that means losing it for all polls.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #80
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's sort of the way people vote for president. The usually vote for the major parties because they don't think the Libertarian or Green candidate will win even thought they would prefer if they did. So, they vote for the least of two evils.

My son has suggested ranked voting, which I guess some other countries use in their elections. So, you rank each option so you can list the one your REALLY want as number 1, then your second pref as 2, etc.

Of course, our polling system doesn't allow for such stuff. Perhaps there is a third part voting system that we could use... but, I think that would lower participation unless it could be done inline here and still only allow 1 vote per user without having them log in there too.

As Jon said, I was never against a blind vote, I would have done it, but the forum doesn't do it "yet". However, it never bothered me of the voters enough to manually tally votes or ranks.

BOb
As I understand it that sort of voting system works by assigning second choice votes of voters whose first choice cannot win straight up to their second choice, perhaps producing a winner that would not of come in first only counting first choice votes, indeed it could produce a winner that was well down the ranking counting only first place votes? Sounds complicated and dubious for use here, with ten possible choices.

I hate to suggest a poll, but what we seem to have here is a group that wants totally blind voting versus those who want to see the poll in progress and may not wish to essentially waste their vote on a first choice if they feel it would be better put to use helping a second choice win? So have a poll on this idea? I do not see that there is any valid argument to be made that either is more fair or moral than the other.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
FWIW, I'm looking into the possibility of having a blind poll added as an option. If it's possible to do without too much work on the part of those who write the code, it would be interesting and perhaps profitable, I think, to at least experiment with the idea of not being able to view the results until the voting period has ended.

As to the separate issue of hiding who voted for what, we can do that already, but I'm not so sure that all our members favor it. I know I don't.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
FWIW, I'm looking into the possibility of having a blind poll added as an option. If it's possible to do without too much work on the part of those who write the code, it would be interesting and perhaps profitable, I think, to at least experiment with the idea of not being able to view the results until the voting period has ended.

As to the separate issue of hiding who voted for what, we can do that already, but I'm not so sure that all our members favor it. I know I don't.
That would be great if this could be done. I'm not against hiding who voted for what until after the vote has been cast. Then we can see who's voted for what.

This will be an interesting experiment. I'm interested in how much closer the results will be. I do think they will be closer.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #83
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Just curious, on what basis will you come to any conclusion?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As I understand it that sort of voting system works by assigning second choice votes of voters whose first choice cannot win straight up to their second choice, perhaps producing a winner that would not of come in first only counting first choice votes, indeed it could produce a winner that was well down the ranking counting only first place votes? Sounds complicated and dubious for use here, with ten possible choices.
Ranked voting isn't really that complicated. Also, you don't have to rank "every" option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_...voting_methods

Quote:
The most common ranked voting method is instant-runoff voting (IRV), also known as the "alternative vote" or simply preferential voting, which uses voters' preferences to simulate an elimination runoff election without multiple voting events. As the votes are tallied, the option with the fewest first-choice votes is eliminated. In successive rounds of counting, the next preferred choice still available from each eliminated ballot is transferred to candidates not yet eliminated. The least preferred option is eliminated in each round of counting until there is a majority winner, with all ballots being considered in every round of counting.
Of course, it would be nice if the forum software poll module supported it.

BOb
Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Just curious, on what basis will you come to any conclusion?
I'm a bit confused as to your meaning. If you mean how would we know which book won if such a system were implemented, the results would be fully visible at the end of the voting period, just as they are now all through the process.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #86
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

Thanks Tom!

It would be interesting to experiment with hidden polling if possible and see what happens. The positives include that no one will be influenced by other votes, while the negatives include that the discussion during voting may (or may not) be diminished.

I would suggest that if we do get a hidden polling option, that we don't ask that members not discuss what they voted for in the thread. I think we should still have the freedom to talk up our choices if we so desire. Not only that, but it would be hard to enforce a rule like that as anyone could still post their choice regardless, so it seems better just to let everyone say what they like while still keeping the poll hidden.

As to anonymous voting on visible poll results, I suggest a poll if it's not obvious what we as a group prefer. As to whether that poll should be anonymous or not, well, that's a philosophical question that you will have to ponder.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #87
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm a bit confused as to your meaning. If you mean how would we know which book won if such a system were implemented, the results would be fully visible at the end of the voting period, just as they are now all through the process.
No I meant something more significant. How will you come to any sort of conclusion that the blind vote produced a better (whatever that means) or even different result than would have been produced by the current system?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #88
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
No I meant something more significant. How will you come to any sort of conclusion that the blind vote produced a better (whatever that means) or even different result than would have been produced by the current system?
Perhaps he wouldn't, but rather would go with the group sentiment of which we prefer after trying it. And if it's unclear, of course, we can always start another poll!

Now, as to whether that poll would be anonymous or not, and also whether it would be hidden or visible, well, hey have you ever heard that one about the tree falling in the forest with no one around?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #89
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In other words, you aren't voting for what you want, your voting for what someone else wants. This sort of thing is what a blind vote is meant to do away with. It's meant for you to vote for what you want, and not vote based on what someone else voted for.

I am sorry you feel you cannot vote if you cannot see what others have voted for before you cast your vote.

The reasons I'm seeing for not having a blind vote are the very reasons we should have a blind vote.
Sorry, I could not answer earlier - real life got in the way.

I did not mean to imply that I cannot vote for a book without the guidance of somebody else. What I did mean to say is that I find it in general interesting to see the tastes of other forum members in books , so that when I come across a recommendation from somebody in another thread in MR, I have a better feel if that particular book might be also to my liking.

In order to vote I am absolutely capable of making up my own mind.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #90
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Even when I don't care for the winner, I usually find a book or three I'd like to read among the nominations.
Same here.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote