Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
patp1946
Enthusiast
patp1946 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Washington Post Locks Up Nook Color

I the last week I have had problems with the Washington Post which I download for my Nook Color through Fetch News. Random articles of the Washington Post lock up the NooK Color and after a few seconds a dialog box pops up asking me the choose to wait or the shut down.

This just started happening. I have other newspapers that download and open and view just fine and the Post did not have problems before.

Is it something the Post is doing?
patp1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its likely something in the html (the post website was recently redesigned). If you can post the URLs to a few of these articles, I'll have a look and see if it is something obvious.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
patp1946
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
its likely something in the html (the post website was recently redesigned). If you can post the URLs to a few of these articles, I'll have a look and see if it is something obvious.
Here is an example from the Washington Post 27 Mar 2011 Business Section:

"Color, new photo-sharing app, raises pivacy concerns [Fri. 25 Mar 13:15]"

I can't give you the URL because Nook Color freezes as soon as I select the article from the section menu so I cannot get to the end of the article to copy the URL for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp1946 View Post
I can't give you the URL because Nook Color freezes as soon as I select the article from the section menu so I cannot get to the end of the article to copy the URL for you.
Open the book with calibre's viewer and grab the url.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
patp1946
Enthusiast

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_business
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing obvious jumps out at me, but I added a few more cleanups to the recipe, see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
patp1946
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nothing obvious jumps out at me, but I added a few more cleanups to the recipe, see if it makes a difference.
Problem still occurring. In this article lock up does not occur until you are at the last page of the article.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...juB_story.html

On a related note for a few days Calibre does not seem to be purging stories from previous issues of the Post. Todays issue included stories dating from 23 March and other days as well as 29 March. This is one of them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...fJB_story.html

Maybe this contributes to the lock up problem. It probably makes the file larger too.

I noted that the Wall Street Journal (free) only has articles from 29 March today so it is working fine and had no lock ups.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
patp1946
Enthusiast

No new lock ups occurred in the last few days.

Still have some obsolete articles showing up in the Washington Post though. But, they have improved since March 30.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
patp1946
Enthusiast

Obsolete Articles Appearing In Washington Post

Problems with obsolete articles in Washington Post are still occurring.

The Wall Street Journal does not have obsolete Articles but the Post has many. Some are several days old. And, they newest articles are interspersed with the dated articles making it more time consuming to scan the publications.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The order of the articles is the order in which they appear in the feeds provided by Washington post, nothing I can do about that.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
patp1946
Enthusiast

Thanks. I suspected as much. They sure do not seem to be devoting much attention to their e reader audience.