Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
re838uk
re838uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 (Red)
Manga / Comic files - Do they need to be formatted a certain way?

I spent most of last night trying to get my large collection of comic/manga converted to LRF but threw up errors like it's not a valid zip/rar file, does not contain an ebook, File is not a zip file etc. So I'm wondering if the files have to be formatted, and structured in a specific way.

ie. Must be cbz or cbr extension not zip/rar and must be correctly named - a zip cannot be cbr, and vice versa.
All files must be in the root of the archive and not stored in a subfolder or a series of subfolders.
No other files must be present besides images?
There cannot be any files with identical names in the archive? (000.jpg in one subfolder, and another 000.jpg in another subfolder).

Last edited by re838uk; 10-01-2009 at 09:01 AM.
re838uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by re838uk View Post
I spent most of last night trying to get my large collection of comic/manga converted to LRF but threw up errors like it's not a valid zip/rar file, does not contain an ebook etc. So I'm wondering if the files have to be formatted, and structured in a specific way.

ie. Must be cbz or cbr extension not zip/rar and must be correctly named - a zip cannot be cbr, and vice versa.
All files must be in the root of the archive and not stored in a subfolder or a series of subfolders.
No other files must be present besides images?
There cannot be any files with identical names in the archive? (000.jpg in one subfolder, and another 000.jpg in another subfolder).

Hi

What are you using?

Try pdflrf (for windoze) or uncompress with rar/zip to a directory and then img2pdf (java, cross platform) Both of them work fine for me. The first has a lot of useful options.

Bye
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
Hi

What are you using?

Try pdflrf (for windoze) or uncompress with rar/zip to a directory and then img2pdf (java, cross platform) Both of them work fine for me. The first has a lot of useful options.

Bye
I forgot that, yes, sometimes happened to me that a file had and incorrect extension and then the conversion failed. Once a file hat a csv inside and the conversion failed again.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
re838uk

I'm using calibre for the conversions. I prefer to have them in lrf format as I read these load up quicker on the 505 than PDFs.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
eksor
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm using calibre for the conversions. I prefer to have them in lrf format as I read these load up quicker on the 505 than PDFs.
I love calibre for almost everything, but for certain pdf and absolutely for comic/manga, I prefer pdflrfwin, take a look at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

Regards
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
re838uk

I've given pdflrf windows version a try and it works well. Probably the easiest out of all the ones I have managed to find. Hasn't had any files needing renaming. Though it doesn't look like it can batch convert, if you just select the files then drag and drop it'll convert it for you no problem.

Only things that is putting me off it as my sole converter is that I can't get it to a large landscape (double page) image into two single page images. Maybe the options are there, but it's not all that clear. And it doesn't seem to retain previous settings - so i'll need to keep it active or change the settings everytime I set it up.

It doesn't half have a misleading name though, thought it could only handle pdfs.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
eksor
Connoisseur

Hi.

Perhaps you could try the two columns profile (this splits the page) and change the image size (resolution), not tested.

ebook-convert, the cmd thing behind calibre has options to handle double page scans, you can choose to split them or not, "do not split double scanned pages" or something like that. That setting it's also accessible from the gui.

Recently I've found pdfread that converts also from a "list of images" but I could not make it work. This one is a command line tool with a gui, so you can launch it from a shell script.

http://pdfread.sourceforge.net/

One nice thing is that a landscape-l profile is provided that outputs a .lrf well suited to read it with the case cover of the reader at the bottom.

Regards.

Quote:
I've given pdflrf windows version a try and it works well. Probably the easiest out of all the ones I have managed to find. Hasn't had any files needing renaming. Though it doesn't look like it can batch convert, if you just select the files then drag and drop it'll convert it for you no problem.

Only things that is putting me off it as my sole converter is that I can't get it to a large landscape (double page) image into two single page images. Maybe the options are there, but it's not all that clear. And it doesn't seem to retain previous settings - so i'll need to keep it active or change the settings everytime I set it up.

It doesn't half have a misleading name though, thought it could only handle pdfs.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
re838uk

Yeah calibre performs the landscape cut well when it detects it but it's very picky towards the manga files I do have. They're not in cbz/cbr format, usually it's zip/rar. Even after renaming it (not something i plan on doing for 1000's of files) sometimes it'll throw someother error my way. So i'm patiently waiting for a future release that can manage fine.

The two column split works fine for landscape double pages but not for single pages. And for a chapter which is a mix of the two it doesn't seem practical since it'll split single pages into half also.