Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #2161
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
It's the end of November for the Skin Game release (like 141 days) so you have plenty of time. But there's nothing wrong with 2 copies, I have both ebooks and hardbacks of my favorites, see below:

My Wizards-Harry shelf before adding Cold Days.

I highly recommend that you don't skip ahead!

Thanks Alan. That was my feeling as well. If I don't read Changes soon I may have to start all over.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #2162
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:

I highly recommend that you don't skip ahead!
Agreed! Don't skip ahead!
In fact, in my opinion, because so damn much happens in Changes, it's prolly one of the best to make sure you DO reread!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2163
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Agreed! Don't skip ahead!
In fact, in my opinion, because so damn much happens in Changes, it's prolly one of the best to make sure you DO reread!
I agree too...but I feel like I am starting to go into withdrawal.

It makes skipping ahead tempting...but I will resist.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2164
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool how hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
*crawls out of hiding spot*...To be fair to my friend, I was at her place and did not think to ask for it...so it is just as much my fault as hers.

At this point I am tempted to get another copy just so I can continue...
...so how hard would it be to drop on over and ask?!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2165
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
...so how hard would it be to drop on over and ask?!

Her parents own a farm and it is haying season. They will be out in the fields. Catching her this time of year is hit and miss.

I can, however (and just did) send her an e-mail.

Last edited by red_phoenix; 07-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2166
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date:
141 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
32 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #2167
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool James Potter and the Crimson Thread

Quoted from
Quote:
James Potter and the Crimson Thread (James Potter #5)
by G. Norman Lippert (Goodreads Author)

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I am already turning my attention toward the remainder of the series. I am considering writing just ONE MORE James Potter story. This is for several reasons, but the most important reason is this: I think that's what the story wants. I COULD drag the tale out for seven complete books, but I believe five is the right number.

If all goes as planned, the fifth and final book in the series will be called "James Potter and the Crimson Thread"
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2168
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool You got it back, right...?

Quote:
Her parents own a farm and it is haying season. They will be out in the fields. Catching her this time of year is hit and miss.

I can, however (and just did) send her an e-mail.
...well? Since she's so busy I envisioned you getting it back real soon!

Well, didja'? Enquiring minds want to know? Ya' know

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #2169
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer

Haven't heard from her yet. It will probably take awhile.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #2170
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool sigh...

Quote:
Haven't heard from her yet. It will probably take awhile.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-17-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: oops...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #2171
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I tried to get into this series - I gave it two-and-a-bit books, but found the writing style and characterisations juvenile (and that's saying something, as I'm a YA addict!). I've been told to stick with it, because it becomes brilliant around book seven, and that even die-hard fans recognise that it leaves a lot to be desired up until book seven - so, should I just skip the books between two and seven and go straight to where this series "gets good"?
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #2172
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
I tried to get into this series - I gave it two-and-a-bit books, but found the writing style and characterisations juvenile (and that's saying something, as I'm a YA addict!). I've been told to stick with it, because it becomes brilliant around book seven, and that even die-hard fans recognise that it leaves a lot to be desired up until book seven - so, should I just skip the books between two and seven and go straight to where this series "gets good"?
Sure . . . . if you want to have no idea who is who and what is what.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2173
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool A response...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sure . . . . if you want to have no idea who is who and what is what.
My first reaction to SouthernSun's post was to ignore her because she was trolling. But being the curious person that I am, I found and read her other posts since her recent arrival on MobileReads. There was no trolling going on in any of these posts. Then eschwartz posted his snarky reply to SouthernSun and I decided that I needed to comment. I'll counter with this:

All fourteen of the Dresden Files novels that I've read have been quite able to stand on their own without any real need to lean on any previous novel. However, since there is an overall story arc to the series reading a single novel does necessarily mean that there are nuances that a reader misses out on. In my opinion this doesn't detract from the readibility of the individual novel.

My thoughts as concerning SouthernSun's question are:

Sure, you could do that, but only you can decide if it's worth the effort to do so. If it were me, I'd simply give up on the series in question as I read for my personal enjoyment and if I'm not enjoying what I'm reading I would simply stop reading it and try reading something else. After all there's a whole lot of material to choose from.

Enjoy!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #2174
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
As much as I love the series, it's not for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, don't listen to people who try to convince you "it will, just wait!". Yes, the books do get better in some ways, and darker, but if the essence of the style and characters aren't what you like, then you might only be more frustrated trying to force it.

The series doesn't magically become brilliant at book seven, but Butcher does become more comfortable with his style and voice as the series progresses, and so you might say that around book seven is where he comes into his own, for want of a better phrase.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't, of course. You shouldn't listen to me any more than anyone else. It may be worth grabbing an excerpt / sample of one of the later books and giving it a look. If you did decide to skip, you can always hit Wikipedia and read the synopses for the books you skip.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2175
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
As much as I love the series, it's not for everyone.
I've tried and tried to get my wife into it. I tell her, hey there's vampires, and tough women cops and even the character we named our daughter after! (At this point shes says "what? You never told me we were naming Molly after a FANTASY character!" Whoops, too late mwa ha ha).

Unfortunately, she just didn't like the first half of the first book.

I've had to learn to just let it be. Besides, fair is fair, I'm not gonna read Twilight, so she doesnt have to read Dresden.

I agree with Alan though. If it doesn't grab you in the first couple of books, chances are it's not going to at all. Life's too short to read what you don't like!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy