Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Fattius
Fattius began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
kindle touch 5.0.0 to kindle touch 5.1.0. Any reason I should not upgrade?

I purchased a kindle touch around Christmas, downloaded enough content to hold me off for a long time and then disconnected from WiFi so that Amazon could not push updates to my device. (side note i installed the mp3 landscape mode hack and have really enjoyed it all this time. now that they have included landscape mode in this update is there any reason i should not upgrade to 5.1.0?
Fattius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Saranis
Saranis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The new patch seems to have broken Kindlean, the only program I had found that let you manage Kindle Collections on the PC. Other than that I cant think of a reason.
Saranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
if a proper table of contents is important to you watch out. I have a number of large (as in 1000 page) technical books and many of them are now unusable to me after this "upgrade".
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
No reason not to upgrade for me: v5.1.0 has more features: Kindle Format 8 support, better interface, better PDF support, fully functioning portrait/landscape mode when reading books, improved wi-fi support, internationalization...

At the moment, as far as i am concerned, the only truly missing features are: no hyphenation support and no ePub support, but these feartures have never been implemented by amazon.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
This is more of a minor annoyance than a reason to avoid upgrading to 5.1.0: when you press "go to" with the latest firmware, it now shows a menu lacks the "Table of Contents" link but includes a scrollable list of chapters. This is very handy for most books but inconvenient for books with many chapters (like Bibles).
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
This is more of a minor annoyance than a reason to avoid upgrading to 5.1.0: when you press "go to" with the latest firmware, it now shows a menu lacks the "Table of Contents" link but includes a scrollable list of chapters. This is very handy for most books but inconvenient for books with many chapters (like Bibles).
I would argue there are decent workarounds for the latter cases (setting a bookmark to navigate quickly to the linked TOC).

I have a problem connecting to a wifi network that I used to be able to connect to (but it's definitely an edge case that most people would not encounter, involving an 'invalid' SSL cert). Amazon has collected data from me so that might get fixed before too long.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
albert.nadette
albert.nadette began at the beginning.

As this is my 1st post, I will start with hello to every one and tell you that I am very pleased to have found this very nice forum...

Regarding the last post from tomsen and the problem he is facing with 'invalid' SSL certificate, I do have encountered the same problem since I upgraded the FW to 5.1.0. I can not get access to some wifi that I was able to get in with 5.0.4 nor get access to my web-mail server anymore. I have also reported this to Amazon but they told me that they tried and could get access to it with the latest FW version... Nobody else facing this issue ? The error message you should see is: There was a problem loading this page. Tap the back button and try reloading from the previous page.

I would have loved to be able to downgrade my KT back to 5.0.4 but from all what I have seen, it's far from being a piece of cake!
albert.nadette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.nadette View Post
As this is my 1st post, I will start with hello to every one and tell you that I am very pleased to have found this very nice forum...

Regarding the last post from tomsen and the problem he is facing with 'invalid' SSL certificate, I do have encountered the same problem since I upgraded the FW to 5.1.0. I can not get access to some wifi that I was able to get in with 5.0.4 nor get access to my web-mail server anymore. I have also reported this to Amazon but they told me that they tried and could get access to it with the latest FW version... Nobody else facing this issue ? The error message you should see is: There was a problem loading this page. Tap the back button and try reloading from the previous page.

I would have loved to be able to downgrade my KT back to 5.0.4 but from all what I have seen, it's far from being a piece of cake!
One of the touted improvements in the 5.1 update is improved wi-fi connectivity. So for every one who has the 'invalid SSL cert' problem, there are probably 10 or 20 who can connect where before 5.1 they could not.

That said, I hope they will fix it soon. They actually said they might get back to me about it by end of last week but I'd expect a fix to take longer than that, especially if there is more than one problem they are trying to sort out.

For a little perspective, neither Nook Touch or Sony PRS-T1 can connect on this particular wifi network (the latter actually crashes in the attempt!). But until this update, all of my wifi Kindles were able to (including KK, KF).

I would never consider downgrading from 5.1.0, even if it were easy to do. But then I don't use it for webmail or anything like that.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have a problem connecting to a wifi network that I used to be able to connect to (but it's definitely an edge case that most people would not encounter, involving an 'invalid' SSL cert). Amazon has collected data from me so that might get fixed before too long.

Interesting, as it doesn't want to connect to ours here, just simply doesn't see the network. There's a marginal improvement if I enable SSID on the router, but it's not really satisfactory.

Do you have a reporting link for this kind of problem please (internet rather than voice call)?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Interesting, as it doesn't want to connect to ours here, just simply doesn't see the network. There's a marginal improvement if I enable SSID on the router, but it's not really satisfactory.

Do you have a reporting link for this kind of problem please (internet rather than voice call)?
I think I used kindle-feedback@amazon.com and they just happened to respond with some follow up questions, and eventually, a phone call where I connected the wifi and they pulled off some logs. Normally I'd use one of the options on the Help page (call me, chat, email), if I thought there was something they could help with immediately.

There are some diagnostic screens you can get into by entering special strings into the search box. I don't remember off hand how these are accessed on KT.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-25-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
albert.nadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are some diagnostic screens you can get into by entering special strings into the search box. I don't remember off hand how these are accessed on KT.
The string is ;dm It will create log files stored in 4 folders that can be seen on the home page and accessed connecting the Kindle via usb.
I provided the 4 log folders to amazon ...
Nevertheless, I am surprised that we are very few having noticed this "bug". The fact they told me they could get access to the portal of the webmail server I can't reach is not making me confident that they will work on a fix.

Last edited by albert.nadette; 04-29-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
No reason not to upgrade for me: v5.1.0 has more features: Kindle Format 8 support, better interface, better PDF support, fully functioning portrait/landscape mode when reading books, improved wi-fi support, internationalization...

At the moment, as far as i am concerned, the only truly missing features are: no hyphenation support and no ePub support, but these feartures have never been implemented by amazon.
like mobi to kindle, epub is exclusive on Nook. i guess, Amazon will never allow kindle to be compatible with epub.
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoho View Post
like mobi to kindle, epub is exclusive on Nook. i guess, Amazon will never allow kindle to be compatible with epub.
Check your facts - epub is an open format and anyone can use it. Amazon's motive NOT to support it is most likely fact that it'd start canibalizing their sales.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #14
dir194
dir194 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.nadette View Post

Maybe you can try to change the wireless router's channel , I found kt 5.1.0 have connection problem with ch13,I switch to ch1 and everything is fine.
dir194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
albert.nadette

dir194, thanks for the advice, in fact the KT is connecting well to the router, the problem happens when the browser connects to a secure site (https) for which the certificate is not in the list of the certificates included in the Kindle.
The previous version (5.0.4) was just giving the info that the certificate is not valid but was giving the option to go on... With 5.1.0 you just get an error message: "There was a problem loading this page. Tap the back button and try reloading from the previous page", you can go back and try as many times as you want but this is not helping.

Can someone try to access webmail.skynet.be (my webmail portal) with 5.1.0 and let me know if he can get access to logging page?