Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #1036
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Don't forget protein since you will be building muscle.
I like your idea of Mirror selfies. I don't think the balance sheet would help much.
I think I will join you in the meal planning.
Excellent! I find the planning harder than the cooking. Yeah, the balance sheet would be work to maintain, so the chances of that being successful are low.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #1037
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I don't need to diet per se but the wallet does.
I made the mistake on Christmas Eve of seeing where all our money had gone. Biggest expense was restaurants.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #1038
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You might try taking melatonin tablets before bedtime - esp. on days without sunlight.
I've got melatonin and have used it for years. I find it especially useful if I wake up in the middle of the night -- one relatively low dose tablet gets me right back to sleep. But when the insomnia hit the melatonin did nothing.

We've had three days so far of decent sun and I had no trouble sleeping last night. Despite temperatures in the 20s today I still managed an hour of the deck (appropriately bundled) for tea and some reading. And I have family members with SAD, so I'll get some input from them on therapy lights.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #1039
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've been using this when I read or watch TV:

http://www.amazon.com/MagneTrainer-E...+Leg+Exerciser

It's completely silent and smooth - no stress on knees - the cats hate it b/c they lose their lap time.
Thank you! I have a stationary bicycle which has been languishing in the dining room where it ordinarily lives, but it's cold in there! So I moved it to the space in the den just vacated by the Christmas tree, because I keep the den warm. Warmish, anyway. I don't read that well on it, though, so I listen to audiobooks, which I also do when I walk or swim.

I had thought this was my only piece of exercise equipment, until

Quote:
I also have a mini-stepper to use when I can't walk, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=3407811

but I have terrible balance and tend to fall off of it.
and I ruefully remembered I have a mini-stepper which has been gathering dust for yonks. So I hauled it out and will try to put it in the rotation as my walking speed and stamina can decline dramatically when I'm on hiatus, so to speak. I also have terrible balance, though, so I think it has to go next to bookshelves or something I can grab before I go timberrrrrr. Does an issy falling in the den make a sound? You bet she does.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #1040
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you! I have a stationary bicycle which has been languishing in the dining room where it ordinarily lives, but it's cold in there! So I moved it to the space in the den just vacated by the Christmas tree, because I keep the den warm. Warmish, anyway. I don't read that well on it, though, so I listen to audiobooks, which I also do when I walk or swim.

I had thought this was my only piece of exercise equipment, until

and I ruefully remembered I have a mini-stepper which has been gathering dust for yonks. So I hauled it out and will try to put it in the rotation as my walking speed and stamina can decline dramatically when I'm on hiatus, so to speak. I also have terrible balance, though, so I think it has to go next to bookshelves or something I can grab before I go timberrrrrr. Does an issy falling in the den make a sound? You bet she does.
I hold onto a walking stick whilst on the stepper - so I don't have to be next to something to grab onto. Kind of like a stationary ski pole.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #1041
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Olives, cheese, crackers and wine do not a diet dinner make. Delicious, though.

It's hard to reset after the holidays!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #1042
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I gained 5 pounds over the holidays. And it is really hard getting it off, especially since all my clothes still fit. But I know, if I don't get it off, it will be 5 next year, and 5 the year after that, . . .

My big thing is eating out. My husband and I love to eat out, but it really isn't conducive to losing weight. Once it comes off, I can eat out, but until then, I have had to turn my husband down.

On the activity front, I really fell down last year when we were remodeling. I used to run 3 miles a day, in 30 minutes, on the treadmill. I thought that was pretty good, since I am going to hit the big 6 0 in a few months. But I quit for about a month, and I am really having a hard time getting back to it. Maybe I will try the elliptical. I hate the elliptical. I used to do that for 45 minutes, and I hated it, so I did the running instead. Negative reinforcement is the only thing that works with me.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #1043
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
My New Year's resolution for 2015 was to significantly increase and maintain my level of exercise -- and I did it! I've been making regular use of our stationary bike (burned out the old one in the spring and bought a new one) and my weight machine in the basement. I didn't keep up with my walking, but I was happy, overall.

Unfortunately, I was so enthusiastic about exercise that I didn't keep on top of my diet, and gained about 10 pounds over the course of the year.

So, for 2016:

> Maintain/increase my indoor exercise
> Increase my walks (I actually enjoy these, but it's difficult scheduling the time)
> Get serious about sticking to a reasonable diet. Again.

I have also been experiencing significant insomnia since the end of 2014. I discovered last August that I can very effectively control it by scheduling an hour (or more) on the deck in the sunshine when I get up. I used to have tea and read a book in the living room, now I have tea and read a book on the deck. Unfortunately, we had very, very little sunshine in December. The "light effect" wears off after a few days. So, to the above list add:

> Continue sitting in the sun when possible
> Buy a therapeutic light for when there's no sun.
Quote:
I've got melatonin and have used it for years. I find it especially useful if I wake up in the middle of the night -- one relatively low dose tablet gets me right back to sleep. But when the insomnia hit the melatonin did nothing.

We've had three days so far of decent sun and I had no trouble sleeping last night. Despite temperatures in the 20s today I still managed an hour of the deck (appropriately bundled) for tea and some reading. And I have family members with SAD, so I'll get some input from them on therapy lights.
Well, I got a therapy light in mid January. I much prefer natural sunlight, but the light does the job. I had a very persistent headache for the first three days that I used it but we had a good stretch of sunlight and by the time I went back to the light my headache was gone.

Too early to boast about any remarkable weight loss, but it looks like I'm heading in the right direction. I hope.

And, the need to shovel huge quantities of snow have made it easier to keep up with my exercise resolution.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #1044
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I gained 5 pounds over the holidays. And it is really hard getting it off, especially since all my clothes still fit. But I know, if I don't get it off, it will be 5 next year, and 5 the year after that, . . .
January's over and my holiday weight hasn't budged. So it's time for some draconian cuts, alas. No wine, no cheese, no wheat for February. Fingers crossed that by March 1 I've mostly eliminated the pudge.

Quote:
Too early to boast about any remarkable weight loss, but it looks like I'm heading in the right direction. I hope.
Good for you!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #1045
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, here we are, 1st January.

A month of indulgence in snacks and sweets and food in general has led to my scales getting to 76.0kg this morning.
I haven't made the effort I should have done in January, so my weight has essentially stayed level. Drastic measures in February. I want to see sub-74kg by the end of February, so a month of no snacks should do it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #1046
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I didn't manage it. Indeed, in May and June my weight drifted above 75kg, even as high as 76.9kg!

I am taking measures now. My first sub-75kg measurement for a couple of months this morning. But that was the easy bit. Seeing sub-74kg measurements is my next goal.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #1047
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, I didn't manage it. Indeed, in May and June my weight drifted above 75kg, even as high as 76.9kg!

I am taking measures now. My first sub-75kg measurement for a couple of months this morning. But that was the easy bit. Seeing sub-74kg measurements is my next goal.
If you have been exercising remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #1048
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you have been exercising remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
I feel that one should exercise to increase strength and/or stamina, not to try to lose weight.

No, it's just a case of eating more calories than I expend. Reversing that will bring me down. Although free doughnuts at work are hard to resist... and there are enough people in the office that there's one or two birthdays (& therefore doughnuts) each week.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:55 AM   #1049
mackles
mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mackles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've started to be a bit more conscious of what I eat in the last few months (same reason as you, Sneakysnake, clothes getting noticeably tighter!) Have been trying to snack less in between meals but crisps are my major weakness! So now I've decided to start using Myfitnesspal app to try and track it more accurately and hopefully get some results....anyone else given this a go? It seems like a good idea in theory but I feel like it could become a bit of a pain having to record every single thing I eat...
mackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #1050
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I thought I'd dig up this thread because I'm trying to lose a few pounds. Admittedly, I'm almost always trying to lose a few pounds; the stretches where I feel I can rest on my oars tend to be short-lived.

So here's the sitch: My breakfast is healthy. My lunch is healthy. Heck, my dinner is healthy. I don't snack during the day except on extremely rare occasions when I have some fruit. I get enough and varied exercise. But two things trip me up: the cocktail hour and post-dinner.

As for the cocktail hour (which is usually wine), I like everything about it. The ritual, the relaxation, the taste. But it's empty calories and worse, it lessens my resolve heading into the evening which is already my other danger time. Post-dinner, I have a hard time stopping. I try to fight it with an espresso and it helps, but evenings tend to be a battle with my non-existent willpower until I can finally go to bed.

Any suggestions? How is everyone else doing on the weight-loss front?