Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #601
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Why, yes. I think it is.
Synchronized mouse mauling?

Seriously - great picture - very inspiring!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #602
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Does walking up and down stairs count?

My weight has been at a bit of a stand-still for the past three weeks. I'll see if I can shift some during the olympic weeks.
Still at a stand-still, but at least not going up. There's another 3kg I'd like to shift. Let's see if I can manage it by 1st December.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #603
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Discovered an awesome Android app .. ...MyFitnessPal

So instead of restricting my food, I'm now controlling my calorie intake. Still I'm trying to avoid junk food or carbohydrates, but gives me more flexibility.

I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #604
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Discovered an awesome Android app .. ...MyFitnessPal

So instead of restricting my food, I'm now controlling my calorie intake. Still I'm trying to avoid junk food or carbohydrates, but gives me more flexibility.

I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks.
That is a great app. I used it to log my food and keep track of my calories last year, and lost 35 lbs nice and slow, over about 7 months. Mainly it helped me learn where most empty calories hide and how much is a proper portion. Although I tried to stay around 1200 calories a day, I was more concerned with eating more "real food " and less processed junk. Using that as a guideline made it more sustainable for me. My weight has since levelled off about 10 lbs heavier than that initial loss so I had a net loss of about 25 lbs which seems to be a good weight for me. Highly recommend MyFitnessPal!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #605
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I have been using Calorie King online for a diet diary with some success. Even though I am still a bit fat, being off the alcohol makes it easier.

Does your phone need to be internet abled to use the app? I am a complete newbie with app. My phone should be able to do all that stuff (if I ever get the data connected). I can connect it to my wifi router at home.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #606
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I have been using Calorie King online for a diet diary with some success. Even though I am still a bit fat, being off the alcohol makes it easier.

Does your phone need to be internet abled to use the app? I am a complete newbie with app. My phone should be able to do all that stuff (if I ever get the data connected). I can connect it to my wifi router at home.
MyFitnessPal? well, you can add, I think, but won't sync until you get 4G or wifi access. You can also use it via web or iPad.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #607
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Thermodynamics (calories in vs. calories out) is the only way that works for me. My official weigh-in day is Monday, but so far I've lost about 15 pounds (6.8 kg) in the seven weeks since I decided I really, really needed to get serious.

Good luck to everyone else!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #608
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I lost another half a kilo this week, but still a kilo over what I was down to before I went silly on the wine and chocolate biscuits, and the corn chips and and and..........

Still being sensible now, but would really like to have a glass of wine with dinner. I know that it would make it even more difficult, so no more wine until I lose another 1.6kilos.

Off for my daily constitutional treadlie ride before it rains...
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #609
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Ok Now I am being more serious. I have reset my targets in Calorie King. I know I can do it. Feeling very positive tonight.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #610
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm down 13 kilograms since mid-July. I cut my calorie intake by 2/3rds, (aprox) and exercise hard at least every other day... or at times every day. Fast walks every day on both city streets and mountain trails. I exceeded my target goal set for tomorrow and I'm pleased. I intend to continue the exercise, but slowly increase my calorie intake back up to 1500 per day. I want to take of a couple more kilo, but am no longer in a rush to do so.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #611
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

13 kilos in three months? A kilo a week. That requires a reduction of about 1000 calories per day. Wow.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #612
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm down 13 kilograms since mid-July. I cut my calorie intake by 2/3rds, (aprox) and exercise hard at least every other day... or at times every day. Fast walks every day on both city streets and mountain trails. I exceeded my target goal set for tomorrow and I'm pleased. I intend to continue the exercise, but slowly increase my calorie intake back up to 1500 per day. I want to take of a couple more kilo, but am no longer in a rush to do so.

Stitchawl
I am in total awe of your discipline and commitment.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #613
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I tried for 750-850 calories per day, while still getting a balance of nutrients. And the exercise was hard.. not sitting on a stationary bike reading a book while pedaling. I sweated off the pounds while re-building leg muscles that hadn't been used in three years because of bad knees, (an Osteopath fixed them for me before I began,) and regaining cardio and stamina. Stair climbing several times a day. I live on the 6th floor. Never used the lift. Speed-walking up steep hills. I mean I really, really pushed... From 103kg to 89kg. And tomorrow we leave to go paragliding. Perhaps this time the small Japanese parachutes will keep me up a little longer!

(I confess to hearing the theme song from "Rocky" in my head when I reached the top of the mountains...)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #614
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I tried for 750-850 calories per day, while still getting a balance of nutrients. And the exercise was hard.. not sitting on a stationary bike reading a book while pedaling. I sweated off the pounds while re-building leg muscles that hadn't been used in three years because of bad knees, (an Osteopath fixed them for me before I began,) and regaining cardio and stamina. Stair climbing several times a day. I live on the 6th floor. Never used the lift. Speed-walking up steep hills. I mean I really, really pushed... From 103kg to 89kg. And tomorrow we leave to go paragliding. Perhaps this time the small Japanese parachutes will keep me up a little longer!

(I confess to hearing the theme song from "Rocky" in my head when I reached the top of the mountains...)

Stitchawl
Wow, 800 , really? That does not sound enough calories to me hmmm ...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #615
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wow, 800 , really? That does not sound enough calories to me hmmm ...
Well, it's certainly not enough for day-to-day living. That's rather the point. But if you want to drop 1kg a week, that's the sort of number of calories per day you have to aim for. And do the exercise. And make sure you're getting sufficient nutrients. All of which Stitchawl is doing.

I do wonder whether he's counting right. 1kg/week is about 7000 calories deficit or 1000 calories/day. Unless Stitchawl is very unusual, he should need over 2200 calories a day to maintain his weight, so 1000 calories less a day would be a 1200 calorie intake.

I believe that the generally accepted sensible minimum for dieting is 1200 calories/day. But you still have to watch your nutrients.

Personally, I prefer a more gentle diet plan, but then, I don't have a paragliding adventure deadline.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.