Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The Kindle Trifecta

Believe it or not, my iPad has made me a fan of the Kindle. I don't have a kindle, and until their prices drop considerably, I won't have one anytime soon. However, I do have an iPhone and like to read books on both my iPad (when home) and my iPhone (when away, and sometimes at night in bed).

The Kindle app for the iPad has some things not as good as iBooks and some things better. It's killer feature is the ability to sync your place between reading on multiple devices. This ability is coming to the iPad/iPhone this summer when iPhone OS 4.0 is released.

What isn't likely to ever come, is an eInk reader that works with the Apple book store. There is no doubt that for reading outside in full sun, an eInk reader has it all over any lcd device. So why wouldn't I stick with getting my books from the store that has the most options for me reading them? Who knows, I may be picking up a kindle at a garage sale some 5 years from now. In the mean time, all the advantages of the iPad for reading (and there are many), I also get via the kindle app on the iPad.

I could say the same thing for Barnes and noble as soon as they release their book app for the iPad. You can read such books on a Nook, an iPhone or an iPad.

Apple may have succeeded in erasing price as a differentiator by agreeing with the publishers to go with the agency model for ebooks. A book sold under the agency pricing model is going to cost the same, no matter where you buy it. But if you buy from Amazon (or Barnes and Noble), you actually have more options for reading the book -- even on Apple's devices.

FYI - I have had my iPad for more than a week and am on my third book. It's a GREAT reader indoors (where I do most all of my reading). By adjusting the brightness and font size....I find that I can read for hours with no eye strain. Of course it's also great for surfing the web, watching videos, playing games

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Don't forget that you can get Kindle for Windows, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc. As far as cross-platform compatibility the Kindle kicks iBooks to the curb and I don't see it likely that Apple will develop iBooks for other platforms. What I can see, though, is Amazon getting out of the hardware market and dropping their eReaders altogether. Their core competency is selling books (and everything else), not designing and manufacturing hardware. That is only a gateway to their bookstore.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, there are even more devices than I cared to list -- I just listed the ones I'm likely to use. I see no reason for Amazon to stop making the kindle. eInk devices have their own reason for being. They are much cheaper, lighter, and can be read in full sun....and their batteries last for weeks.

Lee
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, the multiple apps and whisper sync is a huge plus to the Kindle. It's great to read in multiple places and be able to pick up where you left off.

It has the best selection and prices of the major e-book stores in my experience as well.

I don't see them getting out of the hardware business any time soon. The Kindle is by most reports the best selling e-ink reader, and they're making money off each unit sold. They, again from reports, don't make much money on selling e-books.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Good points. And if I were coming in brand new with no ebooks, maybe I would consider Kindle. But with no epub support and me having well over 100 ebooks bought, it probably isn't going to happen; I have no desire to have to use multiple programs to read all of my books.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I'd be in the same situation, amazon left it too late launching the kindle outside the usa and ePub had time to establish itself as the standard.

As far as new hardware, as long as its still profitable then amazon will keep releasing them, you do have to assume that updates to the smaller model being vastly more likely than for the DX.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Good points. And if I were coming in brand new with no ebooks, maybe I would consider Kindle. But with no epub support and me having well over 100 ebooks bought, it probably isn't going to happen; I have no desire to have to use multiple programs to read all of my books.
I have no problem reading my ePub books with the iBook app, and the kindle books with the kindle app. It's the same iPad

Seeing as I can't read the Apple book store ePub books on anything but an iPad....I'm not going to spend NEW money buying those books since the DRM limits them. DRM limits kindle as well, but at least they are putting the kindle app on lots of devices.

Lee
Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
that's exactly it.. with the kindle app, the books may be DRM'ed, but at least kindle is available on a number of platforms, and amazon is likely to keep developing kindle applications to run on future systems. apple's books are locked into their bookstore on their devices.

the best choice, if available, is something like Kobo Books because not only can you download .epub's but most books come in a few other formats like .mobi, .pdf, and even read online.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I have no problem reading my ePub books with the iBook app, and the kindle books with the kindle app. It's the same iPad

Seeing as I can't read the Apple book store ePub books on anything but an iPad....I'm not going to spend NEW money buying those books since the DRM limits them. DRM limits kindle as well, but at least they are putting the kindle app on lots of devices.

Lee
heh. I know it is the same ipad. I just like my library in one spot (meaning app in ipad's case), maybe I'm funny that way. I will not buy from ibooks either. I will continue buying epub from where ever and continue removing the drm so I can read it on pretty much any device but the kindle.

Even though this gives me the flexibility to read on most any device, for now it is my iphone with stanza and will be the ipad/ibooks once I get one. But it is nice to know I could just as easily pick up a sony reader or what ever and be able to read my entire library on it.

Last edited by foghat; 04-13-2010 at 05:32 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Kind of validates Nate's Post (link)

This is the kind of freedom I've been enjoying on my smartphone. I have apps for B&N, Kobo, Amazon, eReader, MobilePocket and a PDF reader. Though I do prefer sticking to one format, it's nice to have the option to buy whatever format you need.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, format's never really concerned me personally. I reread books so seldom that I just don't much care if I have access to it down the road. So it's pretty moot for me.

I like the flexibility of having a Kindle App on various machines so I don't have to always have one device to read the book(s) I'm currently reading, but that's about it. I don't worry about losing access to the books if the Kindle fails down the road etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote