Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #37546
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Looking for a navigation system for on my bike.

I love cycling but I hate having to go somewhere I haven't been before, making sure I take the right turn, etc. That's the main reason why I don't cycle as much as I would like and when I do I have my standard cycle routes or destinations. I love the idea of being able to pre-program a cycle trip and be told where to go. That way I can enjoy the surrounding.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #37547
sanmare
sanmare began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Sony PRS-T2
Unhappy Broken ereader. Am in Bali and need new one fast!

Right now I'm unhappy because my Cybook ebook reader is broken. I am on a long term holiday on Bali, and it seems like they never heard about ereaders on Bali. I have been in every shop, but no. They don't even seem to know what an ebook reader is, despite I show them my broken Cybook. I could buy any ereader which can read EPUB (not Kindle).

If I had the option to chose, would like to buy a Sony PRS-T2 this time, and just continue my reading. But where? Help me please. It seems like I have to order it. But who will deliver fastest to me in Bali. I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks! Last time I got a package sent from Europe it took over one month for it to arrive.

Please help me. Also tell me if it's possible to buy ereaders in Singapore, because I'm going there at Wednesday.

Stephen Sanmare
sanmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #37548
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
You can find e-readers all over S'pore. On Orchard Road alone there must a a dozen different dealers. Try Centerpoint Plaza first. Three or four shops carry them there.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #37549
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Sorry to hear about your travails, WT. If it comforts you (it does me), you aren't the only one. In the past two years I have tripped and fallen at least three times, over a low curb, a bump in a parking lot, and a pot hole by a bus stop. The only thing that saved my head was learning to ski at 40+ -- I learned how to fall and roll with my head up. Boy, I did a lot of falling then!
Would listening to books be easier?

This is not the only time time I've tripped over something in the past few years. Most of the time I've caught my balance, but on the couple of occasions I did fall, I managed to turn it into more of a tumble than a fall. I knew
I was going down, so I tucked, rolled, and got right back up with no injury. No problem, until Saturday. I'm thinking that maybe the two halves of my brain were having differing opinions as to the best course of action, and since it happened so quick they didn't have time to work it out between themselves. Although I'd like to shoot whichever side it was that thought breaking the fall with my face was a good idea,
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #37550
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have nerve damage on the right side of my body, and also am slightly a bit shorter. So I often fall down. The last time was on my back on the ice, walking outside my front door like two months ago.

So I know how that goes.

Just got back from turning in my project for the semester. I got a 102 as a final grade overall.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #37551
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I'll be on my own in the store most of the day, if not all day. At six I'm off to Amsterdam to go see Bill Bailey (almost exactly 10 years after I've seen his show in Birmingham) with my sister. Afterwards we'll probably grab a late dinner at Schiphol airport.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #37552
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm trying to adjust to a new pair of 'computer glasses' - I work at a computer all day, alternating with reading reports of financial figures. My workplace is in an old building which is quite dusty. By the time I get home, my eyes have been extremely fatigued - which interfered with my reading at home. I've been going through lots of artificial tears/moisture restorers daily.

So my ophthalmologist suggested trying 'mid-range' glasses, AKA computer glasses - basically transitional lens bifocals in which the upper lens is for reading the computer screen, and the lower lens is for reading papers/books, etc. The rest of the visual field is a soft blur. So you can't walk around with them on, see the clock, etc. And there is no peripheral vision - these are for sitting down and reading.

This morning's trial made me fairly nauseated, and almost triggered a migraine. But I have preservered and and have been using them for increasingly longer time spans. And I am adjusting to them. And rolling my office chair back & forth trying to find the optimal distance from the monitor.

Text on the monitor appears sharper & crisper. Reading at my desk is quite nice now. I'm thinking these might just work.

It's a bit of a drag having to lug around 2 pair of glasses at work - I bought a case that I can clip to a belt loop for quick changes. I REFUSE to wear a pair on a neck chain! Unless I can find a really funky chain/lanyard that does not look like I'm wearing my grandmother's readers.

Anyone here have any experience with computer glasses?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #37553
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
So what are you doing RIGHT NOW?

The only computer glasses I've used are generic off-the-shelf bifocals with a strength of 3.0 for reading and 1.25 for looking at the computer screen. I buy them from DebSpecs.com and they seem to work well, although I'd like them better if they came in a 4.0/1.25 strength combination. Or maybe I shouldn't wear all my glasses on the end of my nose.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #37554
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
These days I use my regular transition lenses for everything. I used to use old-style bi-focals for daily wear, and a separate dedicated pair of glasses for computer use. I tried the transition lenses and, like you, they made me nauseous. I certainly couldn't use them for riding motorcycle, where peripheral vision is mandatory....

Then, about a year ago, I learned that there are 'transition' lenses and there are TRANSITION lenses... Instead of just a small area in the center of the lens shaped like a skinny figure-8, on the better transition lenses the figure-8 area is much wider and takes up most of the lens area. Yes, there is still a narrow outer edge area that is blurry, but not enough to be a problem, even driving. And with the larger viewing area, with just a slight tip of the head use the same pair for reading, computer, supermarket shelf viewing (without needing to put my nose right up to the shelf,) walking and driving. These cost me an arm and a leg, but the convenience was worth it. One pair of glasses (mine even change from clear to sunglass) for everything.

I think the lens was made by either Hoya or Nikon, but I'm not sure.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #37555
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Stitchy - my last pair of transitional lenses had the wider area. My problem was extreme eye fatigue - after 8 hours at work using a PC or reading financial reports, my eyes were trashed by the time I got home and wanted to read - so I'm trying the computer glasses (mainly at work) to decrease the fatigue - so that I can happily read at home without having to increase my ereader's font size to 'ginormous'!

So far they seem to be helping to lower the ocular fatigue - I just have to remember to switch glasses before I walk out of my office.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #37556
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That's not a lawn. That's a field
No, a farm
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #37557
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
home recovering from oral surgery. had to stop at the store, get prescriptions, juice, soft foods, etc. my mouth was GUSHING blood! it's finally slowed done, going to try to nap
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #37558
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
home recovering from oral surgery. had to stop at the store, get prescriptions, juice, soft foods, etc. my mouth was GUSHING blood! it's finally slowed done, going to try to nap

What happened? Are you OK?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #37559
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Setting up my first return on Amazon. I had bought a replacement wrist band for my pebble smart watch , and, although it is very nice (clasping mechanism et al), I was misinformed about what size it took; I ordered a 20mm band, when in fact it needs a 22mm one.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #37560
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

What happened? Are you OK?
For whatever reason it decided to really start bleeding while I was at the store. Walking maybe? I was told not to do anything that would raise my heart rate. I'm going tio finally lay down which I should have right away
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?