Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
converted book I had been reading has disappeared on cybook?

A strange problem. I have cybook with SD and use Mobipocket Reader on my windows PC. I sync cybook with my Mobipocket program.

I had a MS Word file which I converted to mobipocket with the Reader program. It synced onto my Cybook correctly, and I read it for about a week. Then it disappeared. Totally disappeared.

I have about 200 ebooks already on the SD card, so I've noticed some performance problems with browsing through catalog. Also, once a month ago, I lost ALL my ebooks on the SD card (which I reloaded). That happened all at once though. Losing this one ebook just seems strange.

Does this sound like a known issue? (Looking through the forums, I couldn't find anything)?

Hapax
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
A strange problem. I have cybook with SD and use Mobipocket Reader on my windows PC. I sync cybook with my Mobipocket program.

I had a MS Word file which I converted to mobipocket with the Reader program. It synced onto my Cybook correctly, and I read it for about a week. Then it disappeared. Totally disappeared.

I have about 200 ebooks already on the SD card, so I've noticed some performance problems with browsing through catalog. Also, once a month ago, I lost ALL my ebooks on the SD card (which I reloaded). That happened all at once though. Losing this one ebook just seems strange.

Does this sound like a known issue? (Looking through the forums, I couldn't find anything)?

Hapax
Hapax,

By any chance, have you been just pulling the Cybook from the USB cable without first doing a 'safely remove hardware' on the USB port? That *might* be part of the problem.

I tend to just take the SD card out of the Cybook and use my SD card reader to manage the ebooks on the card.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely sounds as though your SD card has a corrupt file system to me. As Derek says, this can be caused by unplugging the USB cable without doing a "safely remove hardware" first.

I'd recommend reformatting the card in a PC cardreader - and make sure that you ALWAYS do a "safely remove hardware" before unplugging the cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Very interesting. I'm a stickler about doing this with my USB hard drives, but it never occurred to me to do this for cybook.

I do this in File Explorer. Close drive, right click, Eject or something like that.

I find that the USB icon on the bottom left toolbar never works as planned.

I will try and report back.

Hapax
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
nikben
nikben began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2215
Battery ?

PocketPC's have the annoying habit of cutting access to expansioncards when the charge is low. Could the Cybook be behaving likewise ?
nikben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very interesting. I'm a stickler about doing this with my USB hard drives, but it never occurred to me to do this for cybook.

I do this in File Explorer. Close drive, right click, Eject or something like that.

I find that the USB icon on the bottom left toolbar never works as planned.

I will try and report back.

Hapax
"Eject" won't do it right - that's only for removable disks. It needs to be done with the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the system tray (by the clock).
Old 04-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikben View Post
PocketPC's have the annoying habit of cutting access to expansioncards when the charge is low. Could the Cybook be behaving likewise ?
No, I don't think so.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Also happened to me once after resetting the device. All ebooks went somehow to the music folder. I just had to copy/paste them to the ebook folder again.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote