Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #121
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Poor guy, he will never know what hit him!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #122
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
His problem, not mine.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #123
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Reading isn't fine wine, expensive sports cars or exotic vacations. Reading is available to anyone, at little or no cost, thus, I don't see my position as elitist.
I'm not sure if this really is true.
I do think reading is an acquired taste, like fine wine or good beer (if there is such a thing, I wouldn't know - tastes all the same to me).

To us reading is instinctive - glance at a block of text, know the meaning.
But others need to work through it, line by line. It takes lots of time and work, thus it isn't enjoyable.

(Of course, in the case of the OP, he was also ignorant. That's a different matter. I would think that nowadays everyone at least heard of eBooks.)

--

Out of curiosity - what if the first sign of printed words on paper would have been comics?
I do own books, but they're in a separate room not likely to be encountered unintentionally. A few of my comics are stored in the anteroom, though. (There were shelves available and the comics fit nicely. Why waste good space?)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #124
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
I'm not sure if this really is true.
I do think reading is an acquired taste, like fine wine or good beer (if there is such a thing, I wouldn't know - tastes all the same to me).

To us reading is instinctive - glance at a block of text, know the meaning.
But others need to work through it, line by line. It takes lots of time and work, thus it isn't enjoyable.

(Of course, in the case of the OP, he was also ignorant. That's a different matter. I would think that nowadays everyone at least heard of eBooks.)
In order to acquire a taste for fine wine, I must first drink fine wine. Two Buck Chuck won't impress anyone. If I buy a bottle of $20 wine, someone else can produce a bottle of $50 wine. If I spring for the $50 wine, someone else can produce a bottle of $100 wine. If I drive an expensive sports car, someone else can buy a more expensive sports car. If I take an exotic vacation, someone else can trump that with an even more expensive vacation. Sooner or later, the price for wines, cars and vacations rises to the point where it is impossible to keep up.

Books are cheap - by weight, a used book might be cheaper than potting soil, and thus literally be dirt cheap. We teach reading in school. Most people have the ability to read. People can choose to read or not to read. And if reading is truly difficult for some, well some people are taller, some people are faster, some people are stronger than others, yet we don't expect them to apologize for it. Yet readers are often portrayed rather negatively.

I'm not going to pick on non-readers, I'll leave them alone. My wife and I are readers, we discuss books quite often. It's like our own private science fiction panel. I don't consider reading to just be a hobby, it's an important part of my life. I don't think I would be happy in a relationship with a non-reader. Others are free to do what will make them happy.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #125
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I detest flowery words like in the title of this thread.
What about flowery words like Petunia or Chrysanthemum? How do you feel about them?
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #126
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
What about flowery words like Petunia or Chrysanthemum? How do you feel about them?
I'm partial to Gladiola.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #127
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I'm partial to Gladiola.
I'm partial to Pillsbury
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #128
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm partial to Pillsbury
Oh oh, the Sock Simian is going nutty again....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pecan-monkey-bread.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	92182  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #129
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Oh oh, the Sock Simian is going nutty again....
...yummmmmmmmmm
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I'm good with them as long as they don't creep into the books I read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #131
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I know that in a politically correct society we are supposed to accept everybody as they are, but last Friday I was at a bar when a man in his 50's began chatting me up. He seemed smart and funny so when the inevitable question came about following him home, I thought "an older man might be more intellectually interesting fare than the normal run of 30's something". Hence, I went with him. When we got to his place I immediately noticed that he didn't have any bookshelves, so I asked him if he read on a Kindle or Sony (the latter being the dominant choice in Sweden). He looked at me dazed: "What is that?", he asked.

I just said: "Never mind, and can I use the bathroom". Once there the phone came out and a text to a friend about saving me within the next 15 minutes was sent. She called and we pretended that my parents had been in a car accident, as expected he didn't offer to drive me to the hospital (I think he smelled a ruse) and I left in a hurry.

On my way home I realized that the lack of reading, no books and no clue as to an eReader, had been a total turn-off. There was never going to be any interesting conversation, no witty repertoire, no allusions to literary characters and no reading recommendations. I felt like I would only be wasting my time, I also admit that I began to think of him as an incompetent lover (obviously the diametrically opposite might be true). I am willing to withstand scorn and condemnation for my callousness, but I am actually more curious about how the rest of you think about non-readers. Had it been a woman I'm sure I wouldn't have cared as much.
It would not necessarily be a turnoff. It would depend on other things. I would rather spend time with a non-reader than someone who read a lot, but was an unpleasent person.

Did you see his entire house/apartment? Perhaps he had an entire room just for hard-copy books. I know, rather doubtful.

But I do wonder why he had never heard of a Kindle. Perhaps he wasn't into electronic "gadgets" and didn't shop on Amazon. Even non-readers can't miss all the information about Kindles on the various home pages. Although emphasis does vary (for example, look at Amazon Japan).

And even if you find someone who reads, it doesn't mean they read the same amount and/or the same things. My SO of 12+ years does not read nearly as much as I do (but then I think I read too much) and his reading interests are usually much different from mine. Very little overlap.

What I find interesting is why you think it would not have bothered you as much if it had been a woman.

Edit: typo.

Last edited by Indio777; 09-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #132
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I try not to judge.

Many people i have met read and continue reading truckloads of books but read always the same variation of a single book, or only read a certain genre or are strangely fearful of books with flowery words of strange plots, structures, characters or ideas. I always have this idea of books serving as an enlightenment as well as a pleasure function that sometimes i feel completely absent in an avid book reader.

It is the curiosity, the questioning and the search that attracts me on someone else's intellect, and unfortunately that does not come automatically by reading a "book". Sad as it is, some people read the same way as they eat or buy groceries, in a purely functional way. Anything new or unknown in a book is something to be disliked, feared even. Reading is way less worthy if it is not challenging, makes you question something, presents something new to you. Or inspires you.

Having said this, i found not at all uncommon to find a non reader (or a non-big reader) more interesting and witty than, say, a person who only reads sci-fi, or romance, or the same contemporary fiction, or easy books, etc, etc.

I also think there are books and books. Some books are terrible, while others sublime. And i think that although some variability in taste is normal i think there is a canon that defines the landscape where good literature might be or might obey and definitely a place where nothing but garbage is likely to grow. Subjectivism has its limits... so between someone who reads only garbage and someone who does not, i think actually the non reader might win!

Fortunately, there are many ways to learn and be open to the world, though i think books are the best.
So having books is a good start, but not a absolute sign. Absence of books is a thing to notice but not a deal breaker. It is the inside that matters.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 09-12-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #133
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Almost everyone seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room: you followed a guy home within, presumably, a few hours of meeting him. I'm pretty sure any sort of long-term relationship was the last thing on his mind.

I would have enjoyed the night for what it could have been.

But, as we know, each to their own.

Edit: I am seriously curious: if lack of a 'bookshelf' is such a concern to you that you have to so dramatically lie in order to get out of what was surely shaping up to be a one night type of thing (after finding him interesting enough to follow home in the first place), why are reading habits not one of the first topics broached when you meet a potential suitor?

Last edited by foghat; 09-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #134
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I just said: "Never mind, and can I use the bathroom". Once there the phone came on
How in the heck can you be subtle with that phone you carry! I'm sure he'd see the glowing light under the bathroom door.

Quote:
I felt like I would only be wasting my time, I also admit that I began to think of him as an incompetent lover (obviously the diametrically opposite might be true).
That is an important value that should not be taken lightly. I myself am GREAT in bed, once my head hits the pillow I'm asleep in seconds

Quote:
Had it been a woman I'm sure I wouldn't have cared as much.
So as a bisexual you have less standards for women? C'mon it's not fair for us guys throw us a bone!

Quote:
I am willing to withstand scorn and condemnation for my callousness, but I am actually more curious about how the rest of you think about non-readers.
I feel people here in MR obsess about reading and fail to see the real value of reading. It's just a medium for transferring data/knowledge/ideas. The same can be accomplished by different means. While I thoroughly enjoy reading it's the final result of learning that I enjoy most and if I can achieve that through other means such as audio books, TV, books, or just being my ear to listen to wisdom then so be it.

Here is where you get to scorn me. My values for looking for a mate was was she HOT and does she have ethical values. I don't care if we had little in common I can comprise, but with looks and ethics well there is little wiggle room there. I met my wife 25yrs ago and we've been happily together since.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #135
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
For me, a house devoid of books is a deal-breaker. This doesn't imply that being a reader is a deal-maker. Consider this analogy: Having a car is a necessary condition to win a car race. It is not, however, a sufficient condition. Similarly, reading might be a necessary condition to for someone to be a candidate for a relationship. This does not imply that just because someone reads that they are automatically vetted for a relationship. I'd be bored with someone who didn't like science fiction. Someone else might find my interest in science fiction a turn-off. That's life.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote