Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Having trouble installing Duokan or Duokan Lite on firmware 3.3?

I tried all the steps on the other threads to install Duokan Lite to no avail. What I found was a workaround for my Kindle 3 with 3.3 the firmware. I found that I was able to install Duokan Lite only after installing original Duokan using launchpad (even though I had no intention of using original Duokan).

*PREPARATION*
1. Install jailbreak.
2. Install launchpad.

*INSTALL ORIGINAL DUOKAN*
3. Download Duokan version 0.5.13.8942 (2011/05/20) with preconfigured English language here.
4. Open the Duokan archive and copy the folder DK_System to your Kindle root directory. Notice that If you try to install using the conventional .bin update method, it will fail. So you need to use launchpad to get around this by going here. Follow the instructions on that post to install Duokan original.

INSTALL OLD DUOKAN LITE AND UPDATE
5. Only after installing Duokan original, can you install Duokan Lite. You will need to install an older version of Duokan Lite and then use the option to update via wi-fi. Download older version of Duokan Lite here.
6. Open the Duokan Lite archive and copy/merge the folder DK_System with the one that already exist that was taken from Duokan original.
7. Now you can finally update Duokan Lite via .bin, so copy and paste the corresponding .bin file from kindle3.2.1升级包. Make sure that the file is 131kb and paste that file into the root directory of your Kindle.
8. Reboot into Kindle (not Duokan original!!!). Go to Menu>Settings>Update. The update will take around 5 minutes. Even if it says update failed, you should now be able to boot into Duokan Lite by pressing Q or A when the boot screen gives options. To boot into Kindle press Z.
9. Once you're in Duokan Lite, connect to wi-fi and *check for UPDATE*.
10. Once it's done, you can choose to delete original Duokan and simply keep Duokan Lite.

Last edited by multiprose; 12-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
Thanks for the guide! Worked perfectly for me. But, how exactly do you delete/uninstall Duokan original and keep Lite? I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Unfortunately, the updating by wi-fi doesn't work for me. It sits at 0% for a few minutes, then stops and says it failed. I'll try installing updates manually.

Last edited by sjheiss; 12-26-2011 at 03:45 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
I should have been clear, sorry. I didn't bother uninstalling original Duokan on my device because the few MBs it took up wasn't important, and also thought that there might be features on the original that the Lite lacked which I may find useful later.

I assumed (erroneously maybe?) that you could simply uninstall original Duokan after the installion of Duokan Lite by Settings menu>Uninstall, since the boot menu of Duokan original is replaced by the boot menu of Duokan Lite.

According to some posts I read, since you've already installed Duokan Lite, you should be able to update it by manually download the latest version and then merge the DK System files, reboot into Kindle and use Menu>Update. Hope that works.
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
sjheiss
Connoisseur

I decided to just use the original Duokan anyway, since it has the good audio player, and Lite has nothing I want.

But, it turns out if you uninstall Lite by booting into it, it uninstalls Duokan too. Just a heads up for anyone.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
While I am glad you were able to successfully install Duokan Lite using your method described above, it isn't the way it should actually be done.

Duokan Lite should first be installed on a system that isn't Jailbroken. As such, to install it successfully the way it should be done, you should:

Code:
1. Uninstall all of the hacks you have installed (such as Launchpad) (not Jailbreak hack yet)
2. Uninstall the Jailbreak hack
3. Install Duokan Lite, using the latest version from their website, and copying the appropriate 'DK_System' and '.bin' file to your Kindle Keyboard's home directory. Then updating it.
4. Install Jailbreak hack
5. Install all of the other hacks you want (such as Launchpad)
6. Optional: change dual boot option to boot KindleOS as default OS after restart: append "DefaultSystem=3" to 'DK_System/Lite/config.ini'
7. Optional: adding Launchpad shortcuts to boot Duokan Lite within Kindle OS:

duokan_lite.ini
[Actions]
; Duokan Lite (launch from KindleOS)
D L = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/startdkl.sh
D M = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/startdkl2.sh
D N = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/startdkl3.sh
D X = !echo "send 102">/proc/keypad; source /mnt/us/launchpad/stopdkl.sh
D Z = !killall -9 KindleApp
And from then on, to update Duokan Lite, you can merely boot into it, and update it from its System Settings menu. No need to do anything else. You could copy over the latest 'DK_System' folder to your Kindle's home directory, overwriting what you have already, but I do not believe that is necessary. It is just another way.

Also, the original Duokan is quite old in comparison to Duokan Lite, so I do not really know what would be the advantage of having both on a Kindle 3/Keyboard. Duokan Lite was made specifically for it, and is updated regularly. So, for those who don't know much about this, I suggest just using Duokan Lite. Just my opinion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip duokan_lite_ini_and_scripts.zip (2.8 KB, 608 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 12-28-2011 at 05:25 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
sjheiss
Connoisseur

I'll keep an eye on Lite, but until it gets an audio player with a GUI/menu, I'll stick with Original.

By the way, do you happen to know a script and shortcut I could use for Duokan Original? Just like the one you posted, but not for Lite. I tried editing yours to work for mine, but I don't know how I could do it, since some things are different.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post

Also, the original Duokan is quite old in comparison to Duokan Lite, so I do not really know what would be the advantage of having both on a Kindle 3/Keyboard. Duokan Lite was made specifically for it, and is updated regularly. So, for those who don't know much about this, I suggest just using Duokan Lite. Just my opinion.
Duokan supports more formats than Duokan Lite. Lite is simply not an option for those wanting to view CHM files on their kindle.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post
I'll keep an eye on Lite, but until it gets an audio player with a GUI/menu, I'll stick with Original.

By the way, do you happen to know a script and shortcut I could use for Duokan Original? Just like the one you posted, but not for Lite. I tried editing yours to work for mine, but I don't know how I could do it, since some things are different.
Understandable. Hopefully that will be implemented in the next or soon to be next release of Duokan Lite. FYI, if you have been to the Duokan Lite site lately, you might have noticed there is supposed to be a 'Super' version soon. I will be curious just what updates they do to it.

Unfortunately, I have never used Duokan original, other than testing it for fun once or twice, so I cannot really tell you just what would be the proper way to open it from within Kindle OS using a Launchpad shortcut.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Duokan supports more formats than Duokan Lite. Lite is simply not an option for those wanting to view CHM files on their kindle.
Ah, gotcha. Other than testing it out once or twice, I am not too familiar with Duokan original. Appreciate the info.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
esunk
esunk began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Dear god that's a lot of installing. Install a couple hacks, then install an old version of Duokan, then install Doukan lite, then install Doukan 2012 just to get Duokan installed? Is all of this still necessary or is there an easier way?
esunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
it's a bit "old" thread, I know, but I wanted to share my experience, it might help someone. My K3 with FW 3.3 was jailbreaked with the Jailbreak 0.6N version. I uninstalled the jailbreak with the correct 0.6 N file, did a factory reset, and tried to install Duokan 2012 (the version dated February 23rd, 2012), and kept failing with the error U007, although I first really went by the book. I then tried many of the advices I found on the web, none worked.

In the end, I decided to re-jailbreak, this time with the newest jailbreak version 0.10 N. This was successful. I then uninstalled the jailbreak with the uninstall version 0.10 N, which was also successful. I then re-tried to install Duokan 2012 (again, just following thomass instructions) and it worked beautifully.

Finally, I did the upgrade to the newest version dates March 1st OTA and that went very slowly, but did work too.

Maybe this will be helpful for someone in the same situation...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
kiedis
kiedis doesn't litterkiedis doesn't litterkiedis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Thanks mate, is a complex method, but was the only wich work for me!
kiedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
ivakuska
Enthusiast
ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch software Version 5.1.2
done !

Last edited by ivakuska; 02-18-2013 at 09:15 AM.
ivakuska is offline   Reply With Quote