Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Amazon preview amount now 50% ?

Uploaded the new one last night, downloaded the sample today to see where it cut off, and it's now exactly 50% of the story, and cuts off in the middle of a sentence. This is a good move, giving people a longer sample, but it would be better if you could set your own end-point.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Really? We'll see how it pans out!
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's an interesting thing, it only affects ebooks that aren't enrolled in their KDP Select thing. Ones that are in that still only have a very short sample. So which is better, a short sample or a long one? There's only one way to find out, and it isn't to fight.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hrm, I will have to check again, but I believe that was a setting I could pick when I put my books up on Amazon....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hrm, I will have to check again, but I believe that was a setting I could pick when I put my books up on Amazon....
If it is, I'm struggling to find it. All I did was upload new versions with an "also available" type page, I left everything else at whatever it was set at. The sample for the short story I have on KDP Select now cuts out before the story actually starts
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
If it is, I'm struggling to find it. All I did was upload new versions with an "also available" type page, I left everything else at whatever it was set at. The sample for the short story I have on KDP Select now cuts out before the story actually starts
Yeah me too... so either I am remembering wrong, or they took it away. With Amazon... could be either. I already bought both my books so cant see where the preview is I think... so can't say how much it is.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Yeah me too... so either I am remembering wrong, or they took it away. With Amazon... could be either. I already bought both my books so cant see where the preview is I think... so can't say how much it is.
If you click on the cover image you can "look inside", that shows where the cutoff is. You might be thinking of Smashwords with the variable sample?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard

Well assuming that is correct mine is a lot less then 50... might be 10%.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Well assuming that is correct mine is a lot less then 50... might be 10%.
When did you last upload it though? The 50% thing only started in the last month or so, and it wasn't retrofitted to what was already there.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
When did you last upload it though? The 50% thing only started in the last month or so, and it wasn't retrofitted to what was already there.
Ah.. over a year ago. So I will have to see what happens with my next book... which should be in the next week or two.