Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #16
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Newsflash people: I just submitted a patent application for the "patent".

Pretty much everyone on this thread now owes me 1 gazillion dollars.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
To me, this shows that Apple is afraid of the competition. I have an android phone and from what I've seen on iphones that friends have android is way better.

They can't believe that I get Angry Birds for free, I can arrange my homescreen anyway I want, I can install any apps I want from any source, I can load any files from my computer, etc.
I'd agree that Apple is incredibly defensive, and that I feel like kicking them in the butt for doing so.

On iPhone versus Android, and I know this is ... I use an iPhone and cannot see the advantages of an Android over it for myself. I like simplicity usage on the gadgets I have, it's like my getting a MacBook because I simply do not want to deal with defragmenting my hard disk and virus scanning and all that stuff I associate with a PC (they all start to lag on me right out of the box). I'm not saying PCs are bad, but I just want a computer that allows me to surf the internet and type in word documents without having to deal with the technical aspect of caring for it. I don't live to take care of my gadgets.

An Android would be suitable for people who like to personalise and customise their gadgets, and I think it's great. By the way, people who have jailbroken their iPhones could get Angry Bird for free too, it's just an extra troublesome step. Personally, I paid for all my apps because I'm too lazy to do jailbreaking; that's the kind of attitude I hold towards gadgets. I paid so much for the phone and not willing to pay for a simple app? That's silly to me. If I'm too lazy to do jailbreaking and I don't want to pay for an app, then I don't have it.

An iPhone is for lazy bums like me who just wants something to work and do it well. I know people say that Apple products die like nobody's business, especially right after warranty ends. But my iPod is now what? 5 years and the battery might have lost a bit of its life but it still works. My MacBook is 4 years and showing no signs of death (touch wood) and my iPhone 3G is going on 3 years, and just generally slow. The time it died was because I dropped it into the toilet bowl a month ago, but a cheap repair revived it (think US$25). It's now called my toilet phone

Oops, just my two cents lengthened into 6 dollars. Lol sorry.

Last edited by Ryvyan; 06-25-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I simply do not want to deal with defragmenting my hard disk and virus scanning and all that stuff I associate with a PC (they all start to lag on me right out of the box). I'm not saying PCs are bad, but I just want a computer that allows me to surf the internet and type in word documents without having to deal with the technical aspect of caring for it
But you are right ... PCs are awful. You just need to use Linux, instead of Mac, and then you will be totally free!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
But you are right ... PCs are awful. You just need to use Linux, instead of Mac, and then you will be totally free!
I have a Asus netbook loaded with Linux, but I have no idea how to start installing stuff on it. It's in storage somewhere at home now, should try selling it eh? But I'm that lazy.

I've used a PC most of my life so there was no learning curve that I remember (other than scanning it for whatever reason). The only reason I depend on my MacBook so much is really because (of the awesome advertising *cough*) it worked out of the box and Apple's "switch from PC to Mac" manual works incredibly well. So well that now I regard anyone who has a MacBook and does not understand simple shortcuts as idiots.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I have a Asus netbook loaded with Linux, but I have no idea how to start installing stuff on it. It's in storage somewhere at home now, should try selling it eh? But I'm that lazy.
Just out of curiosity, why did you get linux? As for installing things on it, internet has the answer to anything.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post

They can't believe that I get Angry Birds for free, I can arrange my homescreen anyway I want, I can install any apps I want from any source, I can load any files from my computer, etc.
They should get Androids then.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
Ryvyan
I read what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you get linux? As for installing things on it, internet has the answer to anything.
My MacBook was too heavy to carry around amist all my other books, and I wanted a smaller device. The Asus EEE 701 (Linux) was on sale for S$150 (~US$120) so I grabbed it thinking I'd just learn the new 'language'. Never got around to it even though I know that there are plenty of manuals on the internet, partly because it fell into disuse as the keyboard and mousepad were horrible to use for myself.