Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hiding books on the Nook

I have the Nook Wifi running B&N firmware. I'd like to be able to hide certain books on the Nook when I lend the device to friends, or let them play with it.

I'd rather not store them on a microSD card because that's a bit of a pain. And I can't create an obscure folder because I'm running B&N firmware. I've tried rooting, but I experienced rapid battery drain so I switched back to stock firmware.

Any ideas?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Hmm, you could always archive titles and then in library have it Hide Archived. Unfortunately if they find that option and have it Show Archived, they'll see them. You don't want to delete them, that'll remove them from the account.

Hopefully someone else has a more creative solution? :P
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
Hmm, you could always archive titles and then in library have it Hide Archived. Unfortunately if they find that option and have it Show Archived, they'll see them. You don't want to delete them, that'll remove them from the account.

Hopefully someone else has a more creative solution? :P
I don't need high level security, just something that will get past a casual, very short-term, user of the device.

Does the archive function only work with B&N books? Most of what I'm wanting to hide is non-B&N books.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I don't need high level security, just something that will get past a casual, very short-term, user of the device.

Does the archive function only work with B&N books? Most of what I'm wanting to hide is non-B&N books.
I think it only works with B&N books. I am not sure though...
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I personally will only store books on my SD card, but you could try changing the suffix in the file from epub to bak or some other random extension. I would guess that Nook will ignore it.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Store on SD card, remove card when lending. Problem solved...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Store on SD card, remove card when lending. Problem solved...
This requires powering off to remove and powering on after removal, correct?

Also, does using an SD card noticeably affect battery life?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
This requires powering off to remove and powering on after removal, correct?

Also, does using an SD card noticeably affect battery life?
You can mount/unmount the SD card from within settings without a reboot. It's in Settings>Device Info>SD Card.

I haven't found an SD card to affect the battery usage at all.

The only downside to storing books on an SD card is that they cannot reliably be used with the Shelves feature. You can add them but upon reboot or removing the SD card they get removed from shelves and don't automatically come back.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
You can mount/unmount the SD card from within settings without a reboot. It's in Settings>Device Info>SD Card.
I don't have this option on my Nook Wifi running firmware 1.5.

But otherwise that would have been a great solution - just unmount the sd card before letting someone check out the device. No need to take cover off and physically remove card.