Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your maximum for what you will pay for an ebook?
$5 or less 32 17.49%
No more than $10 90 49.18%
No more than $12 16 8.74%
No more than $14 15 8.20%
No more than $16 6 3.28%
No more than $18 0 0%
No more than $20 1 0.55%
I have no maxiumum, it depends on the book 20 10.93%
Other 3 1.64%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Off-topic.... You can use Google to check exchange rates very easily. Just type, for example, '9.99 USD in EUR' (or in GBP - Pound Sterling).
Thanks for the tip, much easier than the usual site I use!

To add; although my maximum is 10€/$/£ the most I've paid for a fiction book was about £7. My wishlist is very long so I can always find something else to read if an ebook I want is too expensive for my taste.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #47
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I was reading another post (davers’ post re: no cover) and it occurred to me, owning an eReader won’t change my purchasing habits at all, nor will the new pricing structures.

If I really like an author and can’t wait for his newest release (and this is rare, only about 4 authors fit this bill) I will purchase it in hard cover, typically on the day it is released. Otherwise I am reading from the library and browsing the paperback table or half priced bookstore.

Basically, I feel I am paying for the content, not the format. That’s not really going to change. When one of my favorites releases a new book, I will buy the eBook as soon as it’s released. The rest of the time, I’ll browse the discounted eBooks and use the library.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to spend $9.99, but if I feel the content is worth $15, I’ll spend $15 otherwise I’ll wait until it is $4.

Last edited by Rich_D; 04-07-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Basically, I feel I am paying for the content, not the format. That’s not really going to change.
I agree with that approach/philosophy. Especially for books since I've so seldomly re-read a book. So I'm really just paying for the experience of reading the book once. And with e-books I get the convenience of not hassling with a library, or having a physical copy to waste space or hassle with selling, donating or giving away after reading.

I'm fine paying the same prices as the cheapest print version for that reason. Same experience, and a lot more convenient.

But I understand others have different takes, as I'm not that way with music, movies or video games.

Music I'll listen to for decades, movies I keep around are rewatch periodically, so I like having a physical copy around so I know I have permanent access (as long as I don't lose or damage my copy). Video games I don't replay, but they're pricey so I prefer physical copies so I can sell or trade them when done to recoup some of the expense.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #49
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I agree with that approach/philosophy. Especially for books since I've so seldomly re-read a book. So I'm really just paying for the experience of reading the book once.
Ah. I'll read books over and over, to me a good story is always new!

But I can understand other people's complaint, especially when a couple of the devices were advertised as having new releases for $10.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #50
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I voted for 12 or less, but it has to be less than the printed version, because the publisher not only saves on printing, but I get only a license to read a book, not a book in itself.
So I want to pay less.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #51
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
It would depend on the book and the author for me. I like reading with eBooks and like that I can go back to the soft copy and re-read on various devices. I've paid as high as $20 for an eBook if it was a new release of an author I really, really, really like.
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My limit is $10 for an eBook that the paper copy is out in hardcover.
Ditto.

When a paper back is out, then no more than $6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
It depends - I just paid £35 pounds for a second hand copy of a book published 37 years ago, and would have paid that amount for an ebook version if I could have got one. On the other hand, if I'm buying contemporary fiction I'm not willing to pay more than the cheapest paperback price.
I too, bought The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time) (Leather Bound) for £100 in November 2009. However, it is a special edition.

Last edited by astra; 04-14-2010 at 04:27 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #53
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Nothing.

I bought the reader for web-content and public domain books. When I buy books, I still go for paper version.

My position might change if bookshops disappear the same way record shops did. I sincerly hope they won't. I still like books. And bookshelves look good in my room. Besides I own books that have been in the family for a few generations. And I doubt my ebooks will last even until next generation.

The disappearing of paperbooks would make it too easy for "1984"-like re-editing of the past.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote