Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #616
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
<snip>

Personally, I prefer a more gentle diet plan, but then, I don't have a paragliding adventure deadline.
Me too, but it is taking a long time.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #617
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nope I'm not. I don't really care anymore what I look like. Besides high prices on food keep me from overeating so I'm okay.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #618
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, it's certainly not enough for day-to-day living. That's rather the point. But if you want to drop 1kg a week, that's the sort of number of calories per day you have to aim for. And do the exercise. And make sure you're getting sufficient nutrients. All of which Stitchawl is doing.
Fat is decreasing quickly and muscle is increasing (not as quickly, but fast enough to make me happy)

Quote:
I do wonder whether he's counting right. 1kg/week is about 7000 calories deficit or 1000 calories/day. Unless Stitchawl is very unusual, he should need over 2200 calories a day to maintain his weight, so 1000 calories less a day would be a 1200 calorie intake.
I 'had' been eating closer to 2,000-4,000 calories per day. My daily intake numbers (and you know that I'm no good with numbers) was based on package information per serving size, and information take from this site. I have no way of knowing how accurate that is. But as an example of daily intake; my breakfast was kept to 250 calories or under (a serving of rice and either vegetable or fish, lunch 182 calories (Starbuck's chicken veggie wrap) afternoon snack 120 (Japanese onigiri) and dinner of half a grilled chicken breast, a head of broccoli, and a half of a baked potato (nothing on top of either)

Quote:
Personally, I prefer a more gentle diet plan, but then, I don't have a paragliding adventure deadline.
... and there in lies the motivation. We leave in a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Me too, but it is taking a long time.
I read on the net the other day someone mentioning that they were very happy that after three years of going to the gym three times a week that they had lost 12 pounds. For 'me,' I would have given up after the first three months if I saw that sort of feedback. I don't know what they were doing as exercise, but I do know that when I was going to a health club for a short while last year I saw a LOT of people sitting on stationary bicycles, reading books while gently pedaling along. This past month, when I was exercising I was working so hard I wouldn't even be able to play with my mental blocks, much less keep my head so still as to be able to focus my eyes on printed matter. The only time I stood still long enough was when I stopped to take a photograph, because while I was exercising I was carrying the extra weight of a sling pack with heavy camera and lenses.

I worked at it. I didn't screw around. I wanted to fly. I needed to lose weight and re-build my leg muscles. I wanted to lose weight and re-build my leg muscles. So I did lose weight and re-build my leg muscles. (Odd though... you'd think for flying I'd need to build my arm muscles...) See you all when we get back next week!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #619
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Enjoy Stitchawl. You earned it.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #620
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a quick addendum... I found a tailor who fixed a couple of pairs of pants for me quickly so I'd have something comfortable to wear for both the motorcycle ride and the paragliding... She took in 6cm at the waist, and tapered the thighs to match.

Stitchawl
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #621
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I lose 10 kgs I have LOTS of clothes waiting to fit me!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #622
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
72.8kg this morning! The first time I've been under 73kg since I (re-)started my morning weighings back in May.

Mind you, my daily variation means I might well be over 73kg again tomorrow. But it does seem I'm back on the downward slope again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #623
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I've been in lot of stress this week ... :-(

Stopped using My Fitness Pal , and now I'm afraid of checking my weight again ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #624
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

I have reached the "I am allowed a glass of wine with dinner" target.

Lemon chicken with cous cous and a sauvignon blanc.

Being very carefull with everthing else I eat today, otherwise I won't reach the "I am allowed to purchase more wine" target.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #625
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Dear diet diary and skinnier friends,

I think I am finally getting there - and in the right mind space. The kilos are dropping slowly and I am not craving alcohol - yay! I had some wine last week and it didn't seem to make me go crazy for more like it did a month or so ago.

I am loving my flowering green tea, which seems to stop me eating during working afternoons.

My brain is finally telling me "I can do this", and even the yoga girls think (or so they say) I am looking lighter. good good good.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #626
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
My brain is finally telling me "I can do this", and even the yoga girls think (or so they say) I am looking lighter. good good good.
If you want it, you can do it! Good on ya!

Stitchawl
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #627
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Good for you! I am still hovering at 73kg. I shall have to apply myself more, in terms of taking smaller portions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #628
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am even brave enough to say I am down to nearly 75kg(omg I never thought I would be down to that - from a peak of about 79), when I should be about 65. I would be happy if I could stay under 70. At least then my clothes would fit.

Then again we should all worry, I lady I know(who has trouble keeping weight on) has gone to visit her daughter to celebrate her getting DOWN to 100kg. And she only about 5' tall!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #629
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
After a long enforced break due to a knee injury I'm getting seriously back to my weight-loss regime now. Since the start of September I've lost slightly over 7kg (17lbs), so I too am losing about 1kg/week.

The way I'm doing it is by an all-day Saturday walk each week out in the hills with my local Ramblers Association group (normally about 12 miles), 1-1.5h brisk walk every other day of the week (half an hour at lunch time, an hour in the evening), and trying to restrict my food intake to about 1000 calories a day (bowl of cornflakes and a cup of tea for breakfast), soup and a piece of dry bread for lunch, and a 500-calorie healthy "ready meal" from my local supermarket, and a low-fat yoghurt for dinner. I'm steadily losing about 2-3 lbs/week by this method.

Unfortunately I'm off an a 2-week holiday on Monday, so it's going to be really tough to carry on with the sensible eating during that. I don't have any hope of not gaining weight during it, but hopefully it'll come off again relatively quickly afterwards.

Still horribly overweight. Need to lose about another 30kg to get down to a healthy weight. Hope to achieve that in about a year, all being well. I am encouraged by the fact that simple physics really does work, though: expend more energy than you consume and you DO lose weight . Don't see any point in gyms - brisk walking achieves just as much and you get the benefit of the fresh air, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #630
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Good on you too, Harry! Cutting portion size really does cut calories, and those daily walks burn off more. I was 103kg at the end of July. This morning I tipped the scales at 88. The weight loss enabled me to fly last week, and the daily hill walking and stair climbing exercise gave me the leg muscles to run fast enough to achieve take off speeds. I still want to drop another 8kg, but I don't have the pressing need for speed that I had before our trip to paragliding school. If I can loose them over the next two months I'll be satisfied. I've UPed my calorie intake to 1000-1200 a day as I want to put back the muscle that I've let go over the years. I've been doing basic military calisthenics daily; 50 push ups (press-ups to the Brits) 100 sit-ups, Leg raises, etc., and a lot of stretching. I have to admit... when I look in the mirror these days I no longer see The Great White Whale... And now that my knees are working again, I think I'm going to add in daily martial arts kicks; side thrusts, rear thrusts, front snap, etc. We don't have spinning kicks in my style so I have no problem practicing in our little living room.

Stitchawl