Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I saw a 1 star review for a zombie book once that was complaining that it was too violent. I bought it straight away, but I was quite disappointed because it wasn't as violent as I expected it to be based on the review.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I gave a 1-star review to the Meat Lover's Guide to Cooking because it didn't have enough vegetarian recipes. Then I gave a 1-star review All Vegetables All the Time: a Vegetable Loving Vegan's Guide to Cooking Nothing But Vegan Vegetables for not having enough met recipes.

Well, not really, but you do see reviews like that.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
its fairly easy to spot the troll reviews. they're usually 1 sentence long,filled with bizarre grammar and utterly lack punctuation.

however there are funny and creative troll reviews-

http://www.uhpinions.com/
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for that link, xg!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
JSC_1
Enthusiast
JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Authors have to grow a thick skin, however. Even award-winning authors get 1 star reviews. Not that it doesn't sting, but it is to be expected. What one likes and doesn't like is very subjective.
JSC_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It seems that for many, bad reviews are supposed to reflect on the reviewer's refined tastes and I'll pay a lot more attention to a one-star review of an electonic device than I will for a book or restaurant.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 05-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The real killer for me is an author who tells me how many cats they own, I'm clicking that back button faster than you can microwave a kitten.
Oh, I have one cat named Persephone.

How kind of you to ask!

I have some pictures here if you'd like to see ....
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My first book has both 5 and 1 star reviews. I have had some very insulting reviews, and some great praises. Currently the praises are way ahead of the insults, so I carry on. It is hard to know what makes people want to anything, you just have to develop a thick skin and carry on.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
My first book has both 5 and 1 star reviews. I have had some very insulting reviews, and some great praises. Currently the praises are way ahead of the insults, so I carry on. It is hard to know what makes people want to anything, you just have to develop a thick skin and carry on.
Funny how fate plays out... while I was here posting that I got a new FIVE star review on B&N and a... ONE star on Good Reads, complete with foul language and comments about how I have no business writing anything ever.

Ah well... I carry on...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
On the other hand, you're not necessarily obliged to grow a thick skin as an author. Decades ago I worked for a small weekly newspaper in the Midwest. One of the writers reviewed what was then a new Saul Bellow novel. Not only did Bellow trouble himself with an angry response; he went on at such length that the reply was longer than the original review. Given the vastness of Bellow's reputation at the time, it was like getting a personal letter from a very pissed off God.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
SpeakOfTheDevil
SpeakOfTheDevil began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Perhaps people write such bad reviews because they've read such bad books.

In any case, I link you all to "Bad Review Bingo", which you can play along with that blogpost*.

* Also, from a reader perspective, seeing authors publicly express such disdain and contempt for people who presumably took time out of their lives to actually read said author's work, if not actually pay for it, even if they ended up seriously not liking it and said so on the internet, is kind of fun, but also ultimately a turn-off.

But hey, it saves me time and money by helpfully pointing out whom I never need read nor buy from.
"Bad Review Bingo". That is awesome. *bookmarked*
SpeakOfTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #27
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
You'll never please everyone. Whatever you write, someone will hate it, and someone else will love it for the same reasons.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote