Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
What % of Canadian market does Kindle have?

I am writing a book that I expect will be more popular in Canada than anywhere else.

I realize that there is no perfect solution no matter which publishing route I choose to go.

Amazon's enticements to award them exclusivity are appealling, but I wouldn't want to shut out a major percentage of the Canadian eBook market.

Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of eBook readers in Canada are Kindles?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Your question caught my attention. I sell a nonfiction Kindle and CreateSpace POD on Amazon.com .uk .de .it and .es .... once I uploaded to Amazon.com, the ebook version was listed after a bit on the European Amazon pages. I just took a look at Amazon.ca and was surprised to see that it wasn't listed there. I'm speaking in the Yukon next month and when I let the people that had signed up know about the book, I had a bump in sales.

Searching on Amazon.ca for Kindle books lists only 147 books. It tells me that Canadians shopping for Kindle books shop on Amazon.com

Wish I could tell you more–I don't get it.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I don't know what actual percentage there is, but anecdotally, I can tell you that I am often the only person on public transit/campus with a Kindle, whereas others sitting around me with visible readers will much more usually have a Kobo or a Sony or an iPad. They're simply much easier to buy in Canada and the cost of shipping from the States probably renders the usual US price difference moot.

Incidentally, Kindle books are not sold via Amazon.ca, which only sells physical products and has not been turned into a dedicated digital site like Amazon UK or DE. We have to get ours via the Amazon.com store (and are charged in US dollars for it).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The last numbers I saw had Kindles at about 25% of the market, behind Kobo and ahead of Sony.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys! I'll ask again later this year when the book is finished.

The fact that Amazon.ca doesn't sell Kindle books suggests to me that I should not give Amazon an exclusive.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The fact that Amazon.ca doesn't sell Kindle books suggests to me that I should not give Amazon an exclusive.
Huh? Amazon.ca doesn't need to sell ebooks, we buy them (and eReaders) seamlessly from the main Amazon.com site.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks guys! I'll ask again later this year when the book is finished.

GA: I'm not sure you can even give Amazon an exclusive. It was just as easy for me to upload to Barnes and Noble (ePub format of couse). I keep the price the same. However, I'll sell 20 or more books on Amazon before anything moves on B&N.

I did some reading last night about this Canadian issue. I still think that if you upload to both Amazon.com and B&N you'll cover >90% of the market (including Canada). I've talked to several iPad owners that buy their books from Amazon, not Apple. I suspect Droid tablet owners are in the same boat. Amazon's title numbers are just too good to pass up.

On my second book, it'll be uploaded as a Kindle first, then as a POD with CreateSpace. Finally as a B&N (when I get bored).

Since your book has ties to Canada, surely you've got Canadian contacts you could canvass? –if you do, please post your feedback.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I did some reading last night about this Canadian issue. I still think that if you upload to both Amazon.com and B&N you'll cover >90% of the market (including Canada).
B&N don't sell ebooks to Canadian residents, so uploading to B&N gets you absolutely no exposure here. You need your ebooks on Kobo and/or Sony in addition to Amazon to cover both mobi and epub formats for the Canadian market.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Lazer
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
B&N don't sell ebooks to Canadian residents, so uploading to B&N gets you absolutely no exposure here. You need your ebooks on Kobo and/or Sony in addition to Amazon to cover both mobi and epub formats for the Canadian market.
It's a curious thing. I'm guessing Canada has a different set of royalty or copyright laws. I see that you read on a Kindle and are from Canada. Do you purchase ebooks from Amazon.com? Or convert ePubs?

Thanks,

L
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I'm guessing Canada has a different set of royalty or copyright laws.
We have different copyright laws, yes, which is why MR is hosted in Canada so we can have Life+50 public domain titles in our Patricia Clark Memorial E-Book Library.

But that does not in any way prevent B&N from selling e-books to us, which is a business decision on their part. (Not to mention they have an entirely different DRM scheme than ADE-DRM ePubs, which are the standard for Sony and Kobo.)

For what it's worth, I buy extremely few e-books at Amazon and I mainly purchase ePubs (or download them from the MultiFormat bundle option if available) from other sources and convert for reading on my Kindle.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Huh? Amazon.ca doesn't need to sell ebooks, we buy them (and eReaders) seamlessly from the main Amazon.com site.
That didn't occur to me. Your Kindle automatically takes you to where you can buy Kindlebooks, so it doesn't matter what the site is, right?

Last edited by GA Russell; 03-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have two friends with kindles and they buy from Amazon.com only. I suspect that is often the case for kindle owners in the general Canadian population but have no way of knowing for sure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
It's a curious thing. I'm guessing Canada has a different set of royalty or copyright laws. I see that you read on a Kindle and are from Canada. Do you purchase ebooks from Amazon.com? Or convert ePubs?
Book rights are often geographical. Even though I purchase from the main Amazon.com site, the price and even whether or not the ebook is available for me is dictated by my country of residence. Amazon's software does this manipulation behind the curtain, for everyone.

I can convert epubs, since I have the know-how to strip DRM, but I still buy 90% of my books from Amazon. Amazon's prices are usually the lowest and I like their ecosystem (cloud, emailing personal documents, reviews, author profiles, etc.), which is why I chose a Kindle in the first place. I've also bought mobi files from other sites, Amazon isn't the only one selling the format.

Quote:
That didn't occur to me. Your Kindle automatically takes you to where you can buy Kindlebooks, so it doesn't matter what the site is, right?
Yes, if I actually bought from my Kindle, it connects to Amazon.com for anyone with Canada as their country code.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Lazer
Groupie

GA:

"Amazon's enticements to award them exclusivity" ––I think your referring to the KDP Select Program. From what I've garnered from this discussion, I think I might go through Smashwords to get my first book on Sony, Kobo, and Apple just to complete the market–even though I think it's minuscule outside of Amazon. That's assuming it's Meatgrinder doesn't cause me a headache with it's 55 images...
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Lazer, I've read here about problems with Smashwords, such as their arbitrarily/accidentally pricing your book at zero, and thereby triggering everyone else to do so as well.

My thinking at this time is to use Scrivener to format for mobi and ePub, and then deal directly with Amazon, Kobo and others, leaving Smashwords out of it.