Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.42%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.21%
haven't used yet 208 56.37%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #271
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkata View Post
I upgraded by deleting the previous DK_System folder and dragging the new one to replace it.
this is not the best way to update. Just copy the new DK_System over the existing one approving all warnings about merging folders and overwriting files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkata View Post
Does anyone still have folders after the upgrade?
Since you delete old DK_System folder it doesn't remember your preferences. Press Home>X then choose "folder preview"
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #272
perkata
perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.perkata solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
thomass:

Thanks very much both for the explanation and the directions. Everything's fine now.
perkata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #273
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
+ The cursor key now moves the cursor to the next word instead of the next letter in Latin alphabet books
Really? My cursor still moves to the next letter instead of the next word. Was it fix in the latest Duokan release where it's supposed to move to the next word just like it does with Kindle's OS?
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #274
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Really? My cursor still moves to the next letter instead of the next word. Was it fix in the latest Duokan release where it's supposed to move to the next word just like it does with Kindle's OS?
Did you install the latest update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
the word segmentation algorithm apparently considers all non-English characters word delimiters.
It moves to the next word on the latest update but since it considers non-English characters as word delimeters cursor visits them too.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #275
jarhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Did you install the latest update?

It moves to the next word on the latest update but since it considers non-English characters as word delimeters cursor visits them too.
I did install the latest update - in System Settings it is showing version 2012-01-19.C5176.rtm. I am reading English books.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #276
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
I did install the latest update - in System Settings it is showing version 2012-01-19.C5176.rtm.
latest version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post1961960
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #277
jarhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Well this is embarassing; I thought I installed the latest version. I guess there were 2 updates since Duokan 2012 came out, but I only updated it once.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #278
zincsterio
zincsterio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me. But what are the principle advantages of using Duokan over the default OS?

I tried it maybe one year ago, the out of box English font was worse than the default OS (I quite like the default font in the stock build), has this been fixed or addressed in some way?
zincsterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #279
mikcole
mikcole began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zincsterio View Post
I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me. But what are the principle advantages of using Duokan over the default OS?

I tried it maybe one year ago, the out of box English font was worse than the default OS (I quite like the default font in the stock build), has this been fixed or addressed in some way?
Yes. Looks good in epub and mobi (unlike last year)
mikcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #280
zincsterio
zincsterio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Is there a guide to installing with launchpad? I have a jailbroken K3, but haven't installed launchpad before or used Duokan before.

Thanks!
zincsterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #281
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincsterio View Post
Is there a guide to installing with launchpad? I have a jailbroken K3, but haven't installed launchpad before or used Duokan before.

Thanks!
best way to install Duokan is using the update files not the launchpad.

if you still want to install Duokan through launchpad hack:
  • install launchpad
  • copy a installer script and its ini file to newly created launchpad folder.
    you can use this one(not tried personally though.)
  • Copy DK_System folder to Kindle
  • refresh launchpad with shift shift space
  • press combinations writen in the ini file to run the installer script
  • wait until it installs ( and maybe reboots)
  • if you saw a "success" at the bottom of the screen and it not reboot then use menu> settings>menu>restart to restart Kindle

Last edited by thomass; 02-17-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #282
mrque
mrque began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Excuse me if this has already been asked. In 2012 versions of Duokan Lite, PDF files seem to be rendered using the default font chosen in the settings (or at least that's the behaviour I see on my K3). Is there a way of getting them displayed using the fonts embedded in the own PDF file?

Thanks in advance.
mrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #283
thomass
Wizard

update

Kindle 3
Version No.: 2012-02-17.C6120.rtm
File Size: 58.0MB
Suitable models: kindle3
Update time: 2012.02.18
To install for the first time: see the first post

To update from the previous one please follow the instruction strickly:
  • This does not support OTA software upgrade
  • The safety upgrade options:
    • a. switch from DuoKan to the original system, and the WiFi off (menu -> turn wifi off)
    • b. If your current version is the 2012 R1.1 or after, please ignore this step: USB connection PC and Kindle, and repair disks, repair, make the two options are chosen.
    • c. copy of the folder DK_System and restart
Package: mirror1 , mirror2
----------------------------------------

Kindle 4NT
Version No.: 2012-02-17.C6120.rtm
File Size: 60.1MB
Suitable models: kindle4
Update time: 2012.02.18
How to install for the first time: see this post

To update from the previous one please follow the instruction strickly:
  • This does not support OTA software upgrade
  • The safety upgrade options:
    • a. switch from DuoKan to the original system, and the WiFi off (menu -> turn wifi off)
    • b.If your current version is the 2012 R1.1 or after, please ignore this step: USB connection PC and Kindle, and repair disks, repair, make the two options are chosen.
    • c. copy of the folder DK_System and restart
Package: mirror1 , mirror2

--------------------------

Updates this week:

New features:
Add the system time zone settings.

Improvements:
TXT directory is optimized to extract function.

Fix the problem:
Fixed shortcut key, Alt +. Sym failure;
Fix push ikindle eBook unsuccessful;
Fix the embarrassments Encyclopedia Unable to get the data;
Repair interface, read English books, leading to the first word to skip the line backwards to move the cursor.

quoted from this page

As usual , you should use this email address: kindleuser@duokan.com to send your feedbacks.

For K3 users: old launchpad keys doesn't work for this new one.
Launchpad loader for Duokan2012 is on this post
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #284
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
HI all,

I read the whole thread to help me with my problem. It's getting better but still not working.

I am on kindle 3, firmware 3.3 canadian wifi only. The install works ok, the device reboot and show the 2012 logo. Then the screen flickers a bit, there is a dotted line in the mid lower part of the screen after few flickers, the amazon logo comes back and finally it loads in the normal system.

I have remove all root prior to also reset the kindle. I am using the latest system. I would love to make it work as it seems to be a nice system. Thank you to let me know what else could I try!

gef
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #285
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
I have remove all root prior to also reset the kindle. I am using the latest system. I would love to make it work as it seems to be a nice system. Thank you to let me know what else could I try!
gef
Do you mean that: you deleted DK_System folder( by reseting Kindle to its defaults) to remove Duokan from Kindle?

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf