Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
ereader-newbie
ereader-newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Buying books ebookstore.sony.jp outside of Japan

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm thinking of buying a Sony Reader for my wife (PRS-650) while we are here in Japan. The aim is that she can use it back in Australia and purchase Japanese books from http://ebookstore.sony.jp/

Does anyone know if this is supported? Getting a clear answer on this question from the Japanese support line is close to impossible.

Thanks in advance.
ereader-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader-newbie View Post
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm thinking of buying a Sony Reader for my wife (PRS-650) while we are here in Japan. The aim is that she can use it back in Australia and purchase Japanese books from http://ebookstore.sony.jp/

Does anyone know if this is supported? Getting a clear answer on this question from the Japanese support line is close to impossible.

Thanks in advance.
I see no problems assuming you have a Japan-issued credit-card (JCB, Visa or Mastercard) - with a Japanese billing address and a PC you can install the Sony custom 'transfer' software onto.

I have not verified, but I would not be surprised if this software was Japanese-Windows only.

If you are hoping to use an Aussie credit-card and billing address, then I think you will probably be disappointed.

Regards,
Marcus

Last edited by mbagsh55; 07-01-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
ereader-newbie
ereader-newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Thanks Marcus but unfortunately getting a Japanese credit card is like getting moon dust if you don't have work in Japan. Even Warren Buffet would be declined I reckon.

I don't understand why Sony likes shooting itself in the foot so much.
ereader-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Just a thought - would this apply to PayPal also ? i.e. would using PayPal avoid the need for a geographic specific card ?

And where the card requirement isn't an issue, but address is, would simply putting down a (real) address in the area concerned work ?

I presume the systems are too clever to be misled in this way - or are they ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I don't know about this Japanese Sony site, but assuming it's similar to the English one, then you have to have a credit card with a billing address in the US or Canada or it just will not work. PayPal would be an option if Sony took it, but I don't think they do.

I used the American Sony bookstore from Japan with a Japanese IP and it worked fine, so I'm guessing the Japanese one will work from a different country as well.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader-newbie View Post
Thanks Marcus but unfortunately getting a Japanese credit card is like getting moon dust if you don't have work in Japan. Even Warren Buffet would be declined I reckon.

I don't understand why Sony likes shooting itself in the foot so much.
I agree. I have a Sony PRS-700 purchased from the US and initially was very pleased when Sony announced they would again be selling e-readers here. They took the decision to locally release a version that supports a different DRM scheme, so you cannot read books from other sources if they use DRM, and you cannot download the books from the Japanese store onto non-Japanese Sony readers.
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony ebookstore overseas