Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Friday's question of the week 15 aug 08

So, if I have to buy all my books from Amazon and they won't let me read them on anything else, can the US Government confiscate my computer at the border because the copyright laws suck?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
I would bet yes. A laptop from a truly super honest person can be taken so why not a reader. I bet they figure they can take anything that can hold electronic information, ebooks, laptops, mp3 players, pda..ect ect..
I hate to say it but it may get worse before it gets better
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
They could seal the computer and not allow you to open the seals until you have re-entered the US. Doubtful but possible.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, if I have to buy all my books from Amazon and they won't let me read them on anything else, can the US Government confiscate my computer at the border because the copyright laws suck?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skwerl View Post
I would bet yes. A laptop from a truly super honest person can be taken so why not a reader. I bet they figure they can take anything that can hold electronic information, ebooks, laptops, mp3 players, pda..ect ect..
I hate to say it but it may get worse before it gets better
Still ... no. Can't be taken (as in confiscated) ... may be searched.

And, agreed, the copyright laws suck. But .... even Amazon allows that you may keep backup copies of your azw books on your computer. Even if you can't read them there ... which I wish you could.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
They could seal the computer and not allow you to open the seals until you have re-entered the US. Doubtful but possible.
Since Amazon allows copying your books onto your computer for safekeeping ... why would anyone "seal" a computer for having books from Amazon on it??

Just asking.
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aw, c'mon, folks! This is an UNUTTERABLY SILLY thread! If I wanted the overly serious approach, I'd've gone to the abundance in other fora.

Silly! Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Si lly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Sill y!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly! Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Si lly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, i'm a bit confused, *what* kind of reply did you want, exactly ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, they might inspect mine, because of its attractive color and design (turd brown and lumpy). They would be appalled at what I'm carrying on it - In the Midnight Hour, which is definitely erotica, lots of books about spacemen, and the Bible.

Copyright? Um, what do you mean, Officer? I'm just little ol' me and don't know anything about copyrights.

Honest, Officer, I'm just holding it for my friend.

I found it on the sidewalk, Officer, and don't know what it is. I was taking it to Lost & Found when you stopped me.

I read it, but never inhaled. What do you mean by "is," Officer?

But Officer, the guy I bought it from looked like a legitimate businessman.

So pshrynkydink, think of another question. This one is boring.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
pshrynk

Hey, I can't be scintillating EVERY week!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Hey, I can't be scintillating EVERY week!
oh, i bet you could...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Aw, c'mon, folks! This is an UNUTTERABLY SILLY thread! If I wanted the overly serious approach, I'd've gone to the abundance in other fora.

Silly! Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Si lly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Sill y!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly! Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Si lly!Silly!Silly!Silly!Silly!
I know that pshrynk .... I was about to come back into this thread and say ... hell's bells people, this is pshrynk!! Do you REALLY think he meant that question seriously?????

But still, Amazon does let you download straight to your computer and keep the files there if you want. So ... since you are perfectly in line with the EULA in having the files on your computer ... the answer is still "no."

OK .... now the REAL answer to your question. The answer is ...... FORTY TWO!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You want silly, ok. They force you to remove all the letters "A" in the texts because that is what the export restrictions say.

Silly enough? Then how about, you have to read all of the texts aloud before they allow you to leave the inspection area. This provides them with a week of entertainment during which you are not allowed to leave even to go to the rest room.

Silly, let me think. OK, they quizz you on the plots and themes of each book and you are about to miss your flight when the entire airport is besieged by a gian robot answering to the name of "Marvin" that creates enough confusion for you to grab your things, run to the gate, and just make your flight.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You want silly, ok. They force you to remove all the letters "A" in the texts because that is what the export restrictions say.

Silly enough? Then how about, you have to read all of the texts aloud before they allow you to leave the inspection area. This provides them with a week of entertainment during which you are not allowed to leave even to go to the rest room.

Silly, let me think. OK, they quizz you on the plots and themes of each book and you are about to miss your flight when the entire airport is besieged by a gian robot answering to the name of "Marvin" that creates enough confusion for you to grab your things, run to the gate, and just make your flight.
No .... it CAN'T be the letter "A" .... because then how would they spell America?? It has to be a letter we just don't use that often. Like "Q" ... that way the ducks can come into the country, but they will simply have to speak French. "Coin, coin" rather than "Quack quack."
Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer

Or when there was a typesetter's strike in LA and they refused to use the letter "C" so they spelled the state's name as "Kalifornia"
Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Well, they could, but they won't. You see the copyright laws don't suck, they exhibit copyright gravity. If the border patrol collect too many devices together the resultance accumulation of copyright law would cause a nasty copyright and legal black hole. Unlike normal black holes, which sucks in everything, the black hole resulting from a critical mass of unusually copyrighted material sucks in copyright laws and lawyers, and only let out the exceptionally rare anti-particles known as "Common Sense". Now, Tom Paine notwithstanding, the US Government cannot risk either the sudden absense of copyright laws and lawyers, or an uncontrolled release of "Common Sense", and so has instructed all border guards to leave such devices well enough alone.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness