Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
TeamCA
TeamCA has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Smelling Old Books

A new technology but for an old medium.

I thought some of you might find this experiment in preserving old books interesting. A device "smells" a book to detect chemicals emitted during the decay process.

http://www.strath.ac.uk/press/newsre...134107_en.html
TeamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCA View Post
A new technology but for an old medium.

I thought some of you might find this experiment in preserving old books interesting. A device "smells" a book to detect chemicals emitted during the decay process.

http://www.strath.ac.uk/press/newsre...134107_en.html
See my tagline about old books - old or new books, it doesn't matter to me!

I'm a book collector and I love the smell of books, so your news about this new technology was quite interesting to me.

If only there was "an old book smell" I could spray on my new Sony. Or perhaps a "Knopf Smell" or a "Viking Smell" to stimulate my interest when I start to read a story that is only so-so, or reading a story that has yet to capture my interest.

In this crazy country (U.S.A), we spray our cars with a "new car smell," so it's only a matter of time before this process percolates down into ebook reading

Also, think about all the crazy crap that people think up for their readers: space-rocket designed covers; or the engraving of names and other insane things on their Readers; and etc.

So....give me an ebook that smells like a book! I'm just as crazy as everyone else!!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Who needs a hi-tech device? Put an old book in front of me and my eyes and nose will start streaming almost immediately. Funnily enough, reading old books on my iLiad doesn't have that effect!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
I like the smell of old,60's,70's hardcovers,with yellow pages and a blot on the outerside.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nothin like a whiff of mildew to get the day rolling
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
TeamCA
TeamCA has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
While I'm quite happy to get rid of my recently purchased books, I'm holding onto the old ones. It's the look and feel of the old hardcovers and appeals to me.
TeamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
I realy like those.A diferent sort of liking I have for those 20's-30's books with yellow pages and a new binding.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote