Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
greshnik
greshnik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently)
Kbo Glo HD frozen

Hi,
A bit of rant first...
I must have a bad touch with Kobo devices (or any E-Readers, to be honest). Recently I managed to kill two Kobo Glo HDs. I put one in the frdige for an hour or so (accidentally!), and than it froze on the sleep screen (I guess, freezing suits fridge). I was able to get a replacement from Kobo Inc, but now I managed to kill this one too.
I dropped it on the concrete, however, the book itself seems physically OK. I did open it, and again, everything seems at it's place, nothing is loose. Screen also doesn't show any cracks or anything. However, it just doesn't turn on and shows sleep screen.

What I tried: Holding ON button for long time, followed by paperclip insertion into this magic hole. Nothing. Connecting it to my PC - something does happen, as a new USB device is recognized. However, it is not correct device - it recognizes it as a human interface device. Opened it up, disconnected battery and reconnected it again. After turning it again on, the right light below the power button starts shining, (not blinking, shining steady) an that's about it. Tried MicroSD card - copied image to my PC, than wrote image back on SD card - no issues were reported, but Kobo still doesn't show any signs of life. Anything I could do before I humiliate myself again and beg Kobo support for another replacement?

Thanks!
greshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The LED behind the power switch comes on. Does it go off after a while? And how long? Does the front light come on?

With the description, my first thought is to open it and check all the connectors. Maybe the screen isn't connected properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
greshnik

Thanks for the reply. No, LED doesn't come off, keeps shining. Connectors seem ok... Backlight doesn't come on either, but than I switched it off.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't seen or heard of that. The light usually goes off after a while no matter what. And the PC seeing the device at all is unusual. The only things I can think of is to try a factory reset while starting the device (see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Reset:_Glo_HD) or trying a new SD card with a new image. I've sent you a link to an image to try.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
greshnik

Thanks, got the link. Will try it tonight. When you say 'a while' how long should it be? I was waiting for several minutes, should I wait longer? Yeah, PC sees it, and I am not sure what to make out of the wrong device type.
I tried all resets already, neither worked. I guess, it might be a hardware malfunction after all, just not visible to naked eye. I will try the image just in case and I will let you know if it did anything at all.
Btw, I certainly appreciate your help, even if it doesn't fix my reader, I am still very grateful for your efforts.
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greshnik View Post
Thanks, got the link. Will try it tonight. When you say 'a while' how long should it be? I was waiting for several minutes, should I wait longer?
Several minutes should be enough. But, this is the sort of thing I would leave as long as possible to see if something happens.
Quote:
Yeah, PC sees it, and I am not sure what to make out of the wrong device type.
I tried all resets already, neither worked. I guess, it might be a hardware malfunction after all, just not visible to naked eye. I will try the image just in case and I will let you know if it did anything at all.
Btw, I certainly appreciate your help, even if it doesn't fix my reader, I am still very grateful for your efforts.
It could be a damaged substrate in the screen. Usually you can see the problem, but sometimes it isn't obvious from the front. Looking at the back of the screen can show the damage. But, the other symptoms don't really suggest this.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
A damaged substrate always shows same screen no matter what you do. Turn it on or off, LED by power switch changes color blinks or not the screen stays same.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
A damaged substrate always shows same screen no matter what you do. Turn it on or off, LED by power switch changes color blinks or not the screen stays same.
There have been a few people reporting no damage, but when the took the screen out they found some around the edges where it was hidden. In those cases, looking at the back of the screen it was obvious what the problem was.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There have been a few people reporting no damage, but when the took the screen out they found some around the edges where it was hidden. In those cases, looking at the back of the screen it was obvious what the problem was.
Only bonus if this was my Kobo is would have fun of opening it taking it apart. Probably no replacement parts available and water proofing would probably make repair difficult to imposable.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
greshnik

Thanks everybody for the help. I tried the image, but it didn't change anything, and I inspected the screen again, and haven't seen a thing. I left it turned on for 20 mins, but the LED just kept shining steadily, not blinking. I guess, it is something hardware, though not screen. Since it is refurbished item, I can imagine, it wasn't not top-notch from the beginning.
Again, thanks everybody. I will now start my research for the new model.