Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What is an e-Book worth to you?
$0 (I get it for free!) 8 7.69%
$5 (must be cheaper than paperback) 37 35.58%
$10 (equal to paperback price) 53 50.96%
$15 (has more functionality than a paperback is hence worth more) 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Question How much would YOU spend on an e-Book?

Quote:
Do print pubs make exaggerate the cons to protect their print business? I'm sure some of them do. In the wake of Napster and the peer to peer networks that followed it, traditional media companies are paranoid about digital anything. I've argued in the past that not supporting legitimate ebooks only fuels the pirate market, but the fact is that many print publishers seem to go out of their way to make ebooks less appealing than their print counterparts. An easy way to do this is to price ebooks higher than print, making print the better deal for the consumer.

A fair price is the highest price that provides good value to the buyer. This is a win/win in that the publisher (and hopefully, the writer) makes money and the reader is excited about her purchase.The market has yet to decide on what this price is for ebooks.
Read the full article at writingonyourpalm.net first.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
Chick2horse
Chick2horse began at the beginning.

Device: none
is an e-book like a book you get off the computer
Chick2horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
I admit I just had a quick look at the article, but I think it only concerns general litterature.
If you consider technical books (medical/law reference titles, dictionaries or encyclopedias), one can spend more than 50 US$.
Few examples:
Encyclopedia Brittanica, the Harriet Lane Handbook, Canale, Mosby, Griffith's, PDR, ...

In this specific case, eBooks have more functionalities than paperback (instant lookup, calculators, cross references between articles, ...).
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Gots to be cheaper than paperback. Much as I like to read on the PalmOS, paperback is more functional (no battery issues, ie).
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have an other issue with eBooks. I am a very visual person and when I read a non-fiction book, I can usually remember passages of it, not only by content, but also by the layout of the book (paragraph in question was left or right, top or bottom, there was a illustration to the right, etc.). On the other hand, an eBook appears more "static" to me (due to the small display of current PDAs), where I cannot remember the "look" of a page where a certain paragraph appeared. So at the end, its easier for me to digest content from a paper book than from an eBook.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Dmc
Enthusiast
Dmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it isDmc knows what time it is

Device: Audiovox Thera/2032
I think if I am ever going to buy an e-book, 90%-100% of that money should go to the person who did all of the work, TH WRITER. Publishers do very little work except find new books to add to their money flow. I say you get back as much as you put in!
Dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
elmargol
Enthusiast
elmargol began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
10$ if there is no DRM.
1$ if there is DRM
elmargol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmargol View Post
10$ if there is no DRM.
1$ if there is DRM
Wow! You just resurrected a thread from 2003. Awesome!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I'm happy to pay UP TO the paperback price if it is a book I really want but obviously would prefer to pay less

I would say that 90% of the books I read are free anyway, either from free sources like feedbooks / mobileread or from the library. I enjoy shopping around for ebooks though and finding good prices.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It all depends. For authors like Stepehen Kind, Dan Brown, James Rollins, I would pat hardcover prices to get the ebook the day it was released. After that I will pay paperback price. I understand that ebooks will take away profits from paper books sales so I am willing to pay the price.

For independent authors I hesitate to pay more than $5 on a book.

To me DRM is irrelevant in the decision.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I will pay up to 5$, oh great necromancer.

More than that, and I may as well buy the pbook.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It all depends. For authors like Stepehen Kind, Dan Brown, James Rollins, I would pat hardcover prices to get the ebook the day it was released. After that I will pay paperback price. I understand that ebooks will take away profits from paper books sales so I am willing to pay the price.

For independent authors I hesitate to pay more than $5 on a book.
Since what we are paying for is 99% content (as opposed to 80% physical-ness, 20% content) today, it would make sense for better works to go for more money.

Unproven authors would also have to sell for less to get people to try them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
To me DRM is irrelevant in the decision.
Then I have a car that I'd like to rent you for $20,000.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
$10. More than that and I might as well look for deals on the hardback down the road.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would prefer to pay no more than $10 but I do pay whatever Sony asks for new releases for some of my favorite authors. This is to convince the publisher to release the older novels by this author in ebook. I hope by buying at HC prices the publishing sees that they is a need to release the other books by this author.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'd pay up to $30/£15, I'm willing to pay the same as a hardback, really I got into eBooks to reduce my carbon footprint
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote