Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #46
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The Conservatory - cos it's more conservative than the Lounge?

(Or Conversatory - a play on words, but possibly a bit silly.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #47
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
All important discussion are known to happen around the "water cooler"

Dale
"The Water Cooler" I like that, Dale. It gives you the feeling that you could discuss topics like the latest episode of a favorite TV program, an interesting News item (non-ebook related), a recently visited vacation spot, etc. Although I have never worked in a place with a water cooler (the teachers' lounge is where we hung out), it seems like the new forum concept would fit nicely under that title.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Although I have never worked in a place with a water cooler (the teachers' lounge is where we hung out), it seems like the new forum concept would fit nicely under that title.

Kaz
We always had a water cooler, but it was always in "The Break Room".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #49
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The Conservatory - cos it's more conservative than the Lounge?
Having recently played a number of games of CLUE with my kids, this begs the question, "Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Wrench?" Sorry, I think I'm having flashbacks.

I am still leaning toward "The Water Cooler".

Kaz
Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #50
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We always had a water cooler, but it was always in "The Break Room".

BOb
"The Break Room" would work, as well! We only had drinking fountains and those I tried to stay away from except under extreme circumstances! I worked with children, after all.

Kaz
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #51
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
How about:

The Snug
The Lair
The Fortress of Solitude
The Bat Cave
Uncle Jim's Serious Corner
The Void
The Old Curiosity Shoppe
The Aviary
The Barrel

Okay, okay, so I can't think of anything that isn't mildly stupid
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
"The Water Cooler" I like that, Dale. It gives you the feeling that you could discuss topics like the latest episode of a favorite TV program, an interesting News item (non-ebook related), a recently visited vacation spot, etc. Although I have never worked in a place with a water cooler (the teachers' lounge is where we hung out), it seems like the new forum concept would fit nicely under that title.

Kaz
I suspect that is a US-specific expression. I'd never heard of a "water cooler" until I looked up its meaning on reading this. Perhaps not a good idea to use such a term on a world-wide board like MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #53
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We've got one in our university common room in Wales.
And we usually have water coolers available at conferences.
So the item is beginning to catch on, Harry.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #54
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Water cooler moment' is a common phrase in the UK for something in the media (usually TV) that gets people talking the following day.

But, as the new forum is designed to be a haven from the 'excesses' of the Lounge, might I suggest calling it The Asylum?

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-27-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #55
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm afraid this has already gone off-topic, but if you are suggesting names already, I'll take the liberty to propose "The Athenaeum". To me, at least, it has the connotation of serious discussion.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Fold:

where conversations don't wander.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #57
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Library.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Ben Franklin's discussion group was called JUNTO. I think the meaning of the word has changed somewhat since then, but I'm just sayin' . . .

Maybe just Discussion Group.

. . . Roundtable

. . . Comment and Debate

Last edited by Lady Blue; 03-27-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #59
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Interesting poll results so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Ben Franklin's discussion group was called JUNTO. I think the meaning of the word has changed somewhat since then, but I'm just sayin' . . .

Maybe just Discussion Group.

........... . . Roundtable

. . .......... Comment and Debate

How about Comments and Discussion
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #60
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted 1 - I often mark entire forums as read when I'm catching up, but very rarely notice tags! However, whilst I happy to miss out on the talk about Kindles, CyBooks and other devices I don't own, I wouldn't want to miss out on the lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm afraid this has already gone off-topic, but if you are suggesting names already, I'll take the liberty to propose "The Athenaeum". To me, at least, it has the connotation of serious discussion.
I rather like that for a serious discussion forum

Or about pinching a leaf from Oxford University Press and calling it Notes and Queries?. Then again, maybe not - I seem to recall The Grauniad has a similarly named section, which is altogether more silly, so that might confuse UK bods at the very least...

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 03-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote