Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry13 View Post
By this you mean adding the fonts into the fonts folder, correct? If so, yes, I did do that. Also, the font was added to the styles sheet CSS and the page style CSS.
Hi:

OK: to save me some brain-damage, can you confirm which style-classes are working? According to you, if I understand this correctly, all the Calibre8 classed items are working as italic, is that right? With the correct font? And which is your bold class? OR, are you saying that when you work in Bookview,and you italicize or bold a section, it works, please? Can you please post a paragraph of code that is working with bold and italics? In Code, here? Not the CSS: the text of the html, from opening to closing p class; feel free to ipsum lorem the text if that's an issue.

And, FWIW: everybody here is self-taught. There is no Hogwart's School of eBookery for Young eBook Alchemists. ;-) I am personally more self-taught than most, for I forget things often, and therefore have to re-teach myself oftener. (Yes...I'm being humorously ungrammatical here, for those who are unsure.)

Thanks,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
aterry13
Enthusiast
aterry13 began at the beginning.

Device: nook str
Ah... come on... no Ebook Wizardry for Dummies? I need it! Yes, from what I understand in your questions... the stylesheet coding for italics, bold, etc. are working correctly. They work in the book view on Sigil and in the eReader (Nook Simple with Glow Light). For some reason it is only the Normal type that remains some unknown font and that I can't get rid of.

I will gladly add in the portions... But I am unsure of the best way to do it...
I am attaching a word doc that has the CSS coding and a chapter of the book works right on the italics - making the switch to the new font. Will that work? If that isn't the best way to go, let me know and I can just paste it in here.

Now, having said that... I hope I did it right. Thanks to anyone who helps me track this mystery down - it has become such a challenge I just WANT to solve it!
Attached Files
File Type: doc coding.doc (56.0 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by aterry13; 06-10-2013 at 11:59 PM.
aterry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah... come on... no Ebook Wizardry for Dummies? I need it! Yes, from what I understand in your questions... the stylesheet coding for italics, bold, etc. are working correctly. They work in the book view on Sigil and in the eReader (Nook Simple with Glow Light). For some reason it is only the Normal type that remains some unknown font and that I can't get rid of.

I will gladly add in the portions... But I am unsure of the best way to do it...
I am attaching a word doc that has the CSS coding and a chapter of the book works right on the italics - making the switch to the new font. Will that work? If that isn't the best way to go, let me know and I can just paste it in here.

Now, having said that... I hope I did it right. Thanks to anyone who helps me track this mystery down - it has become such a challenge I just WANT to solve it!
Well...I have a few thoughts.

Firstly, I don't see anyplace whatsoever in which your basic paragraph styling is set. Now, this being a calibre mess, I could have overlooked it. But all I see are Calibre classes, followed by these other specialty classes (like toc-preface,right)?

So, there's no basic p class that has a font styling that would be inherited for the other p classes, barring another selection. For example, you have a bunch of paragraphs that look like this:

Code:
<p class="toc-preface"><span class="font">Talin McKade told</span> herself that twenty-eight-year-old women—especially twenty-eight-year-old women who had seen and survived what she had—did not fear anything as simple as walking across the road and into a bar to pick up a man.</p>
But the toc-preface styling is this:

Code:
.toc-preface {
border-bottom: 0;
border-top: 0;
display: block;
font-size: 0.8em;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 1.5em
}
Which has no font declaration in it. As there isn't a basic p class declaration for it to inherit, how would it "know" to display Droid? The span class, "font" likely works, because you told it to display DROID, but the toc-preface class wasn't, and had no styling to inherit from a basic p declaration.

Also, you have TWO stylesheets linked in here; one named stylesheet.css and one named "page_styles.css." If two really exist, you have to look in both; if two don't, eliminate the extra, non-existent line referencing it.

Your em classes (italics) are working because you gave your em html tag a CSS class of "calibre8," which has the font (DROID) and the style, italic, as its attributes. So when you have your declaration of "em class="Calibre8," of course that's going to work. If you removed the Calibre8 class from that, the Droid wouldn't show there, either. You've failed to set the basic paragraph styling--that's the fundamental problem.

Others here may see something different, but, at an admittedly fast glance, that's what I see. Hope it helps!

(And, really, not to be rude in any way, but: try to code books in html first. Calibre is probably a perfectly okay shortcut for bookmakers who know what they are doing, because they can eliminate the cruft, nuke the excess, fix the stylenames to be comprehensible, etc. But it's a really unfortunate way to learn. Just my $.02, and as they say, it's not really my business to tell you what to do. But somebody with a few books under their belt would have renamed these styles, to make this type of troubleshooting easier; would have scruffed the cruft; and would have known to put a basic paragraph style in there, which I devoutly hope I didn't simply miss seeing. Don't make it so difficult on yourself; this is a much, much harder way to learn.) ;-)

Hitch
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Hitch

Page_styles is part of the new Calibre output. You now get both (and linked)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
aterry13
Enthusiast

Yes, if I understand theducks correctly, the page style sheet came after I put it into Calibre. I do that because it is just the way I learned to load it onto my eReader and to include the jacket metadata info etc. However, it is clear from your explanation, Hitch, that adding it through Calibre does a lot MORE "behind the scnes" than just that - things that I don't understand yet. But I'm learning! I guess I went through this back-a$$wards - learning the hard way first and then trying to do the baby steps!

If this helps, the page_styles.CSS is this:

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}
@font-face {
src: url(../Fonts/Droid-Serif.ttf);
panose-1: 2 2 6 0 6 5 0 2 2 0;
font-family: "Droid Serif"
}
@font-face {
src: url(../Fonts/Droid-Serif-Italic.ttf);
panose-1: 2 2 6 0 6 5 0 9 2 0;
font-family: "Droid Serif";
font-style: italic
}
@font-face {
src: url(../Fonts/Droid-Serif-Bold.ttf);
panose-1: 2 2 8 0 6 5 0 2 2 0;
font-weight: bold
}
@font-face {
src: url(../Fonts/Droid-Serif-Bold-Italic.ttf);
panose-1: 2 2 8 0 6 5 0 9 2 0;
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic
}

But I will try your suggestion on adding the font-family to the p line. That seems to be a common sense first step in trying to fix the solution. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks so much to everyone for all your input!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
aterry13
Enthusiast

Great news! It worked on this one book section! So this book is fixed! The same fix did not work on the other three resistant sections, but I am guessing it is because the toc-preface section wasn't the right style for THOSE books. But now I know what to look for and how to search out the right codes for the remaining books! You gave me the right place to look to fix the rest of the problem Hitch! Thanks so much!

Since the problem seemed to stem from me using Calibre to do the last minute things to the book before loading it to the ereader, do you know, can I load it from Sigil? If not, no biggie, I just thought not going through Calibre would have saved some of the headache of the extra styles. Thanks again! You are the best!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
aterry13
Enthusiast

Just to update.... in case it helps someone else down the line...

Well, it wasn't the quick fix I thought it would be. The toc-preface was right on the other three sections. So it took a little bit more guess work to figure out what the heck was wrong with those books. I made copies - though I don't know why, it wasn't like I could make the situation worse! - and started to work with them. I found two areas of concern. First was that somehow those had THREE style sheets. Two page_styles and one stylesheet. I deleted the copy and made sure that all the font faces went to the original one page_styles. (There were font face Droid and font face Droid_ul1 or something like that). So I got rid of all remnants in the style sheet and font folder of the extra.

Thought I was very clever and that would fix it. When it didn't I nearly cried in frustration but refused to come crawling back for more help - you had all done enough FOR me. I compared the fixed one to the other two and found that somehow, on the three that weren't working - and I am not sure how to explain this right - the @fontface in the page_style and style sheet CSS's were reversed. So they were both right, but in the wrong places. I copied and pasted the @fontfaces from the working doc and all fell into place!

Thank you again so much for all the help and to Hitch for explaining it in a way that made sense to a newbie! You are the best!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Thank you again so much for all the help and to Hitch for explaining it in a way that made sense to a newbie! You are the best!
Well, you are most welcome--are you sure you got it all sorted out now?

Hitch
Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #39
aterry13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, you are most welcome--are you sure you got it all sorted out now?

Hitch
Yes, not only is that one all worked out, I am using what I learned from that experience to fix a few others too! Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, not only is that one all worked out, I am using what I learned from that experience to fix a few others too! Thanks again!

Good for you!

Hitch