Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
How to "Totally" disable MP3?

Does anyone know how to totally disable the MP3 player so we won't inadvertantly runn down the battery?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Only thing I've come up with is to remove all sound files from my Reader.

I s'pose as a practical approach you could only play sound from a memory card, and then remove it when you're done....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I thought of that method (removing the card) but given my knowledge of me, I'd then lose the card. I have yet to have the Reader turn the mp3 player part on. I have had problems with turning the mp3 player off. It seems to just keep on going and going and going ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't really stop, it just pauses forever. That has it's advantages, of course, such as when you're listening to an MP3 of an audiobook (keeps your place), but it has its disadvantages too (mostly psychological, from my perspective ).

Oh, yeah, I keep my spare SD cards in my (Palm) Pilot case.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd agree with Nathan - just don't have any MP3 files on the Reader; I've deleted all the supplied content from mine. I think personally it's a case of using the right tool for the right job - I read books on the Reader, and listen to music and audio books on my iPod.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'd agree with Nathan - just don't have any MP3 files on the Reader; I've deleted all the supplied content from mine. I think personally it's a case of using the right tool for the right job - I read books on the Reader, and listen to music and audio books on my iPod.

Agreed, 100%

But you just know that if it hadn't been able to play mp3s the gadget blogs would have just had a little more fuel for their fires.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Is it possible that the mp3 player would try to play even without any music on the reader?

I dont know why, but my battery dies wayyyyy too fast.
I've charged it 3x already.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I did not like the way we stopped the mp3 from playing as in pause...... and i was thinking perhaps that is what was running my battery down as well, so I just removed the sucker because I don't listen to music when I am trying to read anyway and I put it there just to see how the thing sounded (which was pretty good)...... but if I don't need it, I am removing it and of which I did.

It appears that some of us are finding things wrong with our so called long lasting batteries.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey there, Frogsmasha! Long time no see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
Is it possible that the mp3 player would try to play even without any music on the reader?
I don't think so, if I try to go to the Audio menu without any audio files on my Reader, it just tells me that I don't have any files.

You said you'd recharged 3 times, in how long? (I can't remember when you got yours )

I think it's more probable that we're seeing some issues in the actual battery manufacture.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
sorry guys... I'm a bit confused. Does the Reader start playing on its own? Or are you just weirded out by the pause, no stop, and play as soon as you view a file?

regarding batteries... battery indicators are always imprecise and can be thrown off by charging patterns. If you always keep the Reader fully charged, for example, the indicator might lose sight of perspective and think its battery is low when it isn't. This adjustment is a necessary feature because batteries change properties over their lifetimes. Although lithium batteries are better off never being drained comletely, you might want to run an experiment to see where the bottom really is.

If there is a bug somewhere, however, it is likely in the software getting hung up on thinking about something for way too long and draining the battery that way. There's a lot it could be thinking about besides mp3s.

Last edited by alex_d; 12-14-2006 at 05:23 PM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
sorry guys... I'm a bit confused. Does the Reader start playing on its own? Or are you just weirded out by the pause, no stop, and play as soon as you view a file?

regarding batteries... battery indicators are always imprecise and can be thrown off by charging patterns. If you always keep the Reader fully charged, for example, the indicator might lose sight of perspective and think its battery is low when it isn't. This is a necessary feature because batteries change properties over their lifetimes. Although lithium batteries are better off never being drained comletely, you might want to run an experiment to see where the bottom really is.

If there is a bug somewhere, however, it is likely in the software getting hung up on thinking about something for way too long and draining the battery that way. There's a lot it could be thinking about besides mp3s.
In my case I was worried about how you actually turned off the music and of which you really can't turn it off..... you can pause it And I wasn't sure if you hit the button funny if the thing would be playing and you didn't know it (although the volume indicator does show up lower right window when it is playing) if you didn't have earphones on....... Plus my battery went on a two line down and I went to see if the music was on at that time.... it wasn't but I figured I really didn't use it so I did remove the song from the player just to be safe.... I did get this thing for books and not anything else
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hey there, Frogsmasha! Long time no see.I don't think so, if I try to go to the Audio menu without any audio files on my Reader, it just tells me that I don't have any files.

You said you'd recharged 3 times, in how long? (I can't remember when you got yours )

I think it's more probable that we're seeing some issues in the actual battery manufacture.
I ordered mine the first day it came out, and recieved it along with everyone else on that first shipment.

I dont mind the battery life, but when Sony says it's capable of doing 7500 page turns on a single charge, I start to think that my reader is faulty.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote