Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
ytrewq
ytrewq began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle eWriter (for consumers)

earlier this year an attempt was made for a kindle-USB-hack but it remained unfinished http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=139

"twobob" recently suggested this hack could be made to work
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=54

so what do other hackers think about this?

also: a US-citizen/hacker could start a project on http://www.kickstarter.com
the aim would be to make it possible for consumers to buy an eWriter that works right out of the box.
with millions of consumers buying eReaders surely there are more than a dozen willing to pay extra for one that can also write?
ytrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
People are using the Nook Simple Touch with a USB keyboard for that purpose. It would be hard to have a successful kickstarter campaign for a "me too" startup trying to compete with all the existing eink ebook readers out there, especially with no exclusive relationship with a book publisher.

There is a Nook Simple Touch thread at MobileRead that discusses the USB OTG hack, with links to the related forum at xda-developers.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
ytrewq

how far away is a kindle-usb-hack?
would it be a matter of days if the right hacker(s) were sufficiently motivated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It would be hard to have a successful kickstarter campaign for a "me too" startup trying to compete with all the existing eink ebook readers out there, especially with no exclusive relationship with a book publisher.
there would be ZERO competition, as there are ZERO eWriters for sale
and the intend is to (re)sell an UPGRADED kindle, not to build a new device

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There is a Nook Simple Touch thread at MobileRead that discusses the USB OTG hack, with links to the related forum at xda-developers.
untill someone will be (re)selling it working out of the box, it's not for consumers
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytrewq View Post
how far away is a kindle-usb-hack?
would it be a matter of days if the right hacker(s) were sufficiently motivated?
Yes probably EDIT: Hours, with the right dev.
Quote:
there would be ZERO competition, as there are ZERO eWriters for sale
and the intend is to (re)sell an UPGRADED kindle, not to build a new device

untill someone will be (re)selling it working out of the box, it's not for consumers
well. its really not that big a shakes now that Chris has come forward with a lot more pertinant and required info. Personally think it would be possible/advisable to port a decent writing application across while one was at it.

Chris has updated the info for the initramfs stuff which was a big stumbling block. I could just throw the changes at buildroot I suppose.

Don't have a mini usb keyboard, or I would have done it before now.
simple as that really. excited about the prospect of mini usb however for the audio support component on the non audio devices.

maybe I'll do a bit of ebay surfing this month see about getting a mini kb for the sake of testing. Not high priority though for me I must say.

Last edited by twobob; 10-26-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Hours, with the right dev.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
ytrewq

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Don't have a mini usb keyboard
why not use an usb-convertor? and how about wireless?
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
why not use an usb-convertor? and how about wireless?
eh?

If I had the parts I would have done it. feel free to rummage around in my garage for any bits you think I might have missed.

Alternately simply send me a mini keyboard and I will test it on yours.

Or wait. I will get one soon enough. : D
Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
choff
choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi ytrewq,

with regard to the time estimate:

I think 3 full working days is a fair guess, depending on your previous development experience. Though it's hard to tell in advance and depends on what kind of code issues you are going to encounter.

As a prerequisite, you will definitely need a serial connection. You will need it because experience has shown that untested kernels newer work at the first boot :-) . If things can go wrong, they will typically go wrong. So have a serial console prepared in order to analyse the kernel boot output and to see where it breaks down.

On the coding side, there is probably not much to do. Maybe some compilation fixes or code adaptions for USB code that changed between the K4 and the Touch. My ideas about the porting process are described here: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=44#comment-236 .

If any difficulties arise in the porting effort, I'll be glad to help.

Hope this helps! Would be great if we could get this ported to the Touch real soon.

Regards,

Chris
choff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
ytrewq

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
eh?
wouldn't you be able to connect a standard-USB keyboard with a $1 micro-USB-adapter?
or a standard-USB wireless keyboard?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
ytrewq

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff View Post
I think 3 full working days is a fair guess, depending on your previous development experience
Thanks for the info; unfortunately I'm just a consumer trying to increase attention for eWriters.
I find it horrible that every single company is still "sabotaging" the eWriter-function.
It's great that hackers are trying to "repair" this; unfortunately there are still just so few of them.

There is also an USB-hack for the NookST and "andrewed" recently reported some information about it's workings
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=110
but for a consumer it's still something to dread even with the "non-tech" guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki.../USB_host_mode
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Thanks for the info; unfortunately I'm just a consumer trying to increase attention for eWriters.
I find it horrible that every single company is still "sabotaging" the eWriter-function.
It's great that hackers are trying to "repair" this; unfortunately there are still just so few of them.

There is also an USB-hack for the NookST and "andrewed" recently reported some information about it's workings
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=110
but for a consumer it's still something to dread even with the "non-tech" guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki.../USB_host_mode

okay. well I ran matchbox / xedit (horrible app but POC) / Xvfb / x11vnc and used my PC keyboard and Mouse but yeah I see your point. If that can be done so easily (on such an underpowered device as the 3) then indeed the better devices can manage something more substantial (SCiTe?)
and with native usb that would be great.

I take your point on the converter perhaps I will grab one for the sake of getting on with this.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_316.png
Views:	274
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	95349  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
twobob

after a bit more thought I dug around

The source code for maxwell is open source.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxwellwp/
I didn't have a play but it looks to need motif/lesstif someone could maybe tweak that one onto the pile of "best editors"

I think more and more that combo OS solution is not such a bad thing.
Launching debian from the Extensions menu is effortless and solid (if a bit noisy on the stdout) the overhead and initial management are a PITA but selecting a couple of solid applications would be decent interim solution while porting efforts ensue.

I tested a few likely candidates via the armels and could probably get much of this stuff into life natively if it was so required now I have had a chance to play around more with matchbox etc under debian.

Will attach some screeenies of a few apps that are low hanging fruit in action.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_036.png
Views:	323
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	95506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_001.png
Views:	320
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	95507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_074.png
Views:	296
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	95508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_061.png
Views:	286
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	95509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_040.png
Views:	289
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	95510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_039.png
Views:	279
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	95511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_041.png
Views:	271
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	95512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_042.png
Views:	266
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	95513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_043.png
Views:	271
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95514   Click image for larger version

Name:	46.png
Views:	302
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	95515   Click image for larger version

Name:	48.png
Views:	284
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	95516   Click image for larger version

Name:	53.png
Views:	298
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	95517   Click image for larger version

Name:	53bw.png
Views:	287
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	95518   Click image for larger version

Name:	57.png
Views:	303
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	95519   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.png
Views:	244
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	95520   Click image for larger version

Name:	59.png
Views:	317
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	95521   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.png
Views:	325
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	95522   Click image for larger version

Name:	52.png
Views:	262
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	95523  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
twobob

next up Kate. Now this one has some real issues atm. I would have to look into also having bits of kde working (klauncher for example) I have documented the errors.

This is the most featured weighing in at around 300mb! however it is a tad sluggish.

Screenies: (I have a pile of these - just stuck up 18 for now)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_002.png
Views:	266
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	95524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_003.png
Views:	214
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	95525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_004.png
Views:	229
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	95526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_005.png
Views:	237
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	95527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_006.png
Views:	237
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	95528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_007.png
Views:	220
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	95529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_008.png
Views:	198
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	95530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_009.png
Views:	206
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	95531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_010.png
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	95532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_011.png
Views:	207
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	95533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_012.png
Views:	234
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	95534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_015.png
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	95535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_016.png
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	95536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_017.png
Views:	216
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	95537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_018.png
Views:	216
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	95538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_019.png
Views:	224
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	95539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_021.png
Views:	227
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	95540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_024.png
Views:	235
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	95541  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
twobob

Also Leafpad and xfte:

Size issues in xfte aside it's actually really fast, leafpad is "as it is" in the other incarnation natively on the touch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_066.png
Views:	219
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	95560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_063.png
Views:	228
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	95561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_064.png
Views:	219
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	95562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_065.png
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	95563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_067.png
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	95564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_068.png
Views:	204
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	95565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_069.png
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	95566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_070.png
Views:	202
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	95567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_071.png
Views:	180
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	95568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_072.png
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	95569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_073.png
Views:	200
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_075.png
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	95571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_076.png
Views:	176
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	95572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_077.png
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	95573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_078.png
Views:	213
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	95574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_082.png
Views:	204
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	95575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_083.png
Views:	224
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	95576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_084.png
Views:	190
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	95577  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
twobob

Okay so that covers the easy-win Text editors in debian.

I was thinking that it may be easier to encourage debian to provide extkeyboard support but that is as yet untested and just conjecture given the Xephyr server currently forwards Xevents AIUI.

Next up. External support for the 5 then. Any thoughts anyone?

EDIT:

So, not much feedback.

hmm..
I'll have a play with getting something stupidly large to run
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...iceSuites.html
and http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian

Last edited by twobob; 11-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #15
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Are these running on the framebuffer or on X11? I haven't seen X11 on the K4 yet.
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote