Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Err, I'm honestly curious, just what games did you try?
I have really bizarre taste in games (I found Mass Effect 1 to be very boring). I played through some final fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Nintendogs, The New Super Mario, Super Monkey Ball, and Mario Kart DS. I honestly probably got more use out of the Kanji dictionary than anything else.

Quote:
The 85mm to 135mm range is classic for portraits. That works out to about 57mm to 90mm on DX. Which the 55-200mm certainly covers.

Of course photography styles vary. But believe me, if you said something like that to a portrait photographer they'd eat your face off.
It's a good lens, I just found that the focal length range wasn't adequate for the distances I usually found people at. I took it on holiday with my family and it took admirable pictures as long as I wasn't pointing it at people. (I couldn't get enough of them in the picture because of the narrow field of view.)

I'll definitely grant that I may have just been too used to my previous one though, and didn't grok how I was supposed to use the new one.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
This is an easy one! The Sony Mavica Digital camera. It is huge by today's standards and very expensive. We jumped onto that bandwagon way too early. In fact, we had buyer's remorse almost immediately, but not soon enough to be able to return it. We tried, but we were 3 days too late, per return policy, as we didn't see further down in the fine print that electronics had a shorter window of time to returned.

Since we ended up keeping it, I have quite a few floppy disks full of pictures, but now I don't know how I will get them off floppy and onto current media storage. I suppose there is someplace I can take them to. That is, after I find the box they are packed up in.

Kind of brings back memories of my 8 track tape collection...
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, yeah. A treo 800w. The WinMo OS sucks! It cannot be figured out without carrying around the usermanual, which is helpfully printed in about eleventy languages, so it weighs about two pounds. It is constantly "updating" which is tolerable for Win computer but sucks energy down like beer in Australia. If it's not updating, it's running the Thumb Twiddle app, which overheats the battery and again sucks down energy like mad. And don't get me started on the convoluted apps aquisition process...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
This is an easy one! The Sony Mavica Digital camera. It is huge by today's standards and very expensive. We jumped onto that bandwagon way too early. In fact, we had buyer's remorse almost immediately, but not soon enough to be able to return it. We tried, but we were 3 days too late, per return policy, as we didn't see further down in the fine print that electronics had a shorter window of time to returned.

Since we ended up keeping it, I have quite a few floppy disks full of pictures, but now I don't know how I will get them off floppy and onto current media storage. I suppose there is someplace I can take them to. That is, after I find the box they are packed up in.

Kind of brings back memories of my 8 track tape collection...
Back in the day I loved mine. Now it looks like a dinosaur. I still have it, never use it, and don't know if it still works.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Ones I've regretted:

Just about every PDA I've ever bought (the exception being my first - a Psion Series 5)
Every compact camera (film and digital) I've ever bought (including the Canon G10, but that one is the one I regret the least)
Every portable non-mp3 music player

Ones I haven't regretted:
My Apple MacBook (or the iMac before it)
The Olympus EP-1 camera
Any of the Canon SLRs and DSLRs I've had
My iPhone
My PRS-505
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The Olympus EP-1 camera
I didn't know you had the EP-1. I nearly bought one, but that's one I knew I'd regret (not because I don't think it's a good camera, but just because I knew that for me it was an unnecessary camera).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I didn't know you had the EP-1. I nearly bought one, but that's one I knew I'd regret (not because I don't think it's a good camera, but just because I knew that for me it was an unnecessary camera).

Cheers,
Marc
I got it because I wanted something not too large for when I was out walking, but that had more range than a compact. And it's ended up replacing my Canon as I've been using it far more. (I still don't regret buying any of the Canons I've had - they're really, really nice cameras)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote