Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post

When I read that it only came with a USB charger cord, that still doesnt explain why many Australian USB wall chargers wont work with it.
Many US wall chargers won’t work properly with the Kindle, either. They don't don't produce sufficient power to charge it adequately. You need one that will provide at least 0.85A. If it's less, then you may only get trickle charging.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
You need one that will provide at least 0.85A. If it's less, then you may only get trickle charging.
No. A computer USB port is only rated for 500mA with USB 1/2.0 and it is possible to supply less due to having a nonpowered hub or unusual hardware restrictions such as a battery powered device. The Kindle doesn't require 850mA to charge properly and will work fine with less current but with a corresponding longer charge time. Not all Kindles even come with the wall charger and you are expected to provide your own or charge via a computer.

What does matter is how the two data lines in the USB connection are wired. They're used to signal the device being charged as to the capabilities of the charger and how much current it can draw safely. The way it does this is to connect the data lines with specific values resistors to the ground and power lines in the USB connection. The issue is that there are several different wiring schemes for this along with differing values of the resistors. If the device doesn't see this or the values aren't what it is expecting then it may refuse to charge or charge very slowly.

Last edited by Tiersten; 12-03-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotic_chimp View Post
I bought a US kindle which doent hav whispernet in australia...bugger...but it came wi a usb adaptor tht does work here....I agree amazon should hav sent one wi th aussie kindle I ended up buying...if it wasnt such a great product I wld b v annoyed...will b contacting thm...tho
On the Australian Kindle page, it clearly states:

"Save $10 On Any Adapter with Your Kindle Purchase
This Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging via a computer USB port. To save $10 on a local power adapter, add an adapter to your cart as you place your Kindle order. See details."
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I bought a US kindle which doent hav whispernet in australia...bugger...but it came wi a usb adaptor tht does work here....I agree amazon should hav sent one wi th aussie kindle I ended up buying...if it wasnt such a great product I wld b v annoyed...will b contacting thm...tho
I'm confused by your post - and not only by the apparent differences in spelling between US English and Aussie English. Do you mean that the Kindle 3's sent to Australia still don't include a USB cable? (The thread you resurrected is from a 2009 discussion about the K2 package not including a power cord or a USB cable.)

Here is a quote from this page http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y7M?country=AU for the International Kindle:
Quote:
This Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging via a computer USB port. To save $10 on a local power adapter, add an adapter to your cart as you place your Kindle order. See details.
From this it would appear that the K3 does come with a USB cable but that you still need to purchase a separate wall charger for it, such as this one - http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-.../dp/B002Y27P50

I do agree that Amazon should include a country specific wall charger adapter with their Kindles, instead of making the user buy one separately.

Holly

Edit -Whoops, desertgrandma beat me to it, in reference to showing that the USB cable is included with the Australian Kindle!
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
oh no!!!! the vowels have fallen off the island!
Because its just too much trouble to actually spell out a word......might lose a micro second in your life.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Because its just too much trouble to actually spell out a word......might lose a micro second in your life.
ah! I KNEW there had to be a logical explanation! I mean after all, resurrecting a year old thread and losing your vowels all at once! pretty earth shattering!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Wow, this thread is old. Blame you kk for digging it back up.

The Australian kindles ship with a USB cord but the charger is extra and if buying with the kindle costs around $4 extra. And a very cute little thing it is too. The kindle 3 seems to be charged by most Aussie chargers whereas the k2 is a fussy little creature.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #23
psychotic_chimp
psychotic_chimp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
huh? wld u all mind repeting tht 4 bobo(my alias) again? ha ha....
psychotic_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
oh no!!!! the vowels have fallen off the island!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Wow, this thread is old. Blame you kk for digging it back up.

The Australian kindles ship with a USB cord but the charger is extra and if buying with the kindle costs around $4 extra. And a very cute little thing it is too. The kindle 3 seems to be charged by most Aussie chargers whereas the k2 is a fussy little creature.
wasn't me, was the vowelly challenged fella below this post

Quote:
huh? wld u all mind repeting tht 4 bobo(my alias) again? ha ha....
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote