Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
For me it feels faster now.
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
golden is already rooted. installing any keyboard is giving you warnings a keyboard program can capture your keys, this is why I like market on my device as the software is verified and from trusted source.
I can not use amazon market in uk, so for me the google market is the only option.
I don't understand a word of this, Vicinc, and I have a feeling it's very important to understand. When you have the time and are at a keyboard, can you perhaps explain 1) if Golden is synonymous with rooting; 2) why the keyboard that "came with" the PE had no warnings; and 3) what in the world your caution that "this is why I like market on my device as the software is verified and from a trusted source" means?

I had assumed that my broadband would provide some sort of protection, of...some sort. I don't use the PE for anything other than reading, so I'm not worried about that. However, if you're saying that the keyboard makes using passwords to email accounts dicey, I'd just like to know. Thanks!
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
btw,is you PE slower after Golden rc3 (rooted)? No, actually due to partioning scheme I believe is faster.
It *is* somewhat faster. However, when it comes to sites with a lot of dynamic ads or pop-ups, then I notice it really slow down.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
I don't understand a word of this, Vicinc, and I have a feeling it's very important to understand. When you have the time and are at a keyboard, can you perhaps explain 1) if Golden is synonymous with rooting; 2) why the keyboard that "came with" the PE had no warnings; and 3) what in the world your caution that "this is why I like market on my device as the software is verified and from a trusted source" means?

I had assumed that my broadband would provide some sort of protection, of...some sort. I don't use the PE for anything other than reading, so I'm not worried about that. However, if you're saying that the keyboard makes using passwords to email accounts dicey, I'd just like to know. Thanks!
Those warnings were probably put in by the lawyers Just in case
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Those warnings were probably put in by the lawyers Just in case
There's a joke in there somewhere about lawyers and hackers...maybe a song. Maybe I should start a new thread, but I seriously want to know if the PE has security issues just by virtue of the fact that it's a discontinued device. (Never even considered that.)
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the keyboard coming with the unit is added by developers. so is already there. sideloading from dubious sources can cause security risks. I use Thumbkeyboard as replacement keyboard from market, so it is safe.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
the keyboard coming with the unit is added by developers. so is already there. sideloading from dubious sources can cause security risks. I use Thumbkeyboard as replacement keyboard from market, so it is safe.
I watched the video. Nice James Bond music! How is a keyboard app more secure than a sideloaded?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
Vicinc,
Now I am thoroughly confused. I've got the Golden Ermine of Pablob's on my PE. So which other update am I supposed to use for market access: Golden Allmine or RC3 update?? Or are they one in the same? I'm getting confused with the interchanging terminology used at times and the fast paced work done of late.
I was all set to finish my last update using his Golden Allmine; but after reading all these entries about rooting and non-rooting and versions...I'm now officially lost.
I just want to simply gain google market access. Please. What do I do next? What step(s)/program(s) am I to use to reach that goal?? Thnx for helping yet again, this dumb bunny. lol. The plus is that once you've helped me reach my goal, I will no longer be a thorn on this site...at least for a while. Good day to everyone!
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

rc3 is a golden (wipe everythings blank, restores partitions etc) update with market. and is rooted by default. so do not need to do anything else. you can unroot if you want but do not see why.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
rc3 is a golden (wipe everythings blank, restores partitions etc) update with market. and is rooted by default. so do not need to do anything else. you can unroot if you want but do not see why.
Thank you.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
vicinc
Guru

the purchased market keyboard or free market keyboard is safer than a sideloaded keyboard app that somebody could have modified to capture you keystrokes. this is why I l like the market on my device. amazon market app does not work in europe
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Unlike Windows, Android comes loaded with some protections to prevent people from fiddling with it. In Windows, you can basically do whatever you want. You can gleefully enter the system folder and deletpe random files. You can install whatever application. You can manually uninstall pieces of hardware. In Android, you have much more limited control. Of course, this is a good thing. Most people shouldn't be fooling around with sensitive system documents. When I worked in tech support, I used to get so tired of people messing up their computers by playing around with files that they didn't understand.

Rooting essentially takes away Android's protections and allows you to do whatever you want with it. Once you've rooted your device, you can edit key system files, install certain applications, and poke around in sensitive folders. The process itself is mostly harmless - if you use z4root, it's pretty much impossible to damage your device - but you can do considerable damage afterwards if you are not careful.

When you have a phone, there's a considerable upside to rooting your device. Most carriers prevent a wide range of features, such as wireless tethering over your 3G network. Rooting gives you access to these things. On the Pocket eDGe, I can understand why some people might not go through the effort to root the device. However, I can see two main advantages: (1) You can uninstall some of the bloatware that comes loaded on the eDGe, like some of those stupid Linux games and (2) you can implement some of the tweaks - such as the sdcard fix - listed on the sticky at the top of this forum.

FYI: rooting is not going to affect the device's performance. All the process does is give you access - without it, you can't modify key system files. That being said, I only think you should root if you have a good reason.

FYI 2: Installing Ermine or the Golden Update IS NOT the same as rooting your device. These are just names of Android installation files. Essentially, loading either of these updates is like installing Windows off a CD. You're basically just restoring your system to standard Android stock. In order to root, you'll need to install and run z4root (rooting on the eDGe is so easy . . . you have no idea how difficult it can be on other devices. Let's not even talk about how long it took with my Wildfire S . . . )

I hope this helps!

Last edited by kennyminot; 01-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
vicinc
Guru

as far as I am concerned the ermine golden rc3 is rooted. can be unrooted with z4root.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
I hope this helps!
Yes. It does. Thank you!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
Chevalier529

kennyminot,
You articulated it all so very well and thus clarified any lingering questions/confusion!