Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Help me choose a cover

The story's written, the cover art licensed. Now I just need to settle on the colour for the title text for Magical Crimes, my 'CSI with magic and a little something else' story.

The full background to the story - what it's about, how I came to write it, and the history behind the cover art - is here. Along with links to larger pictures.

So, which do you prefer? I took the colour of the sea for the author text and wanted to take the colour of the rock for the title but the red didn't show up well against the darker blue in the top right. So I tried fading it and adding colours and trying plain black.

*Update* I've added a dark blue and a contoured yellow sand

Chris

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Bean)
Magical Crimes (BVC)

Last edited by ChrisDolley; 12-30-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added two more pics
ChrisDolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I vote for cover 1. It goes better with the surroundings.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Cool cover! I like the last two best.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I love these threads! They're so fun. I like #2 or #6
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I like the last two the best, maybe the blue title a little more than the yellow. Nice cover by the way.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I would like to see what Moejoe could come up with.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I look forward to reading his thoughts on it too. But, the OP advised that he already licensed the cover art. I'm not sure, but I think that means he's stuck with what he paid for =/
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I like #5 (yellow title) and #6 (blue title). After looking at the bigger images i prefer #5.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Thanks everyone, this has been a great help.

And has given me an idea - offering a choice of covers. Doesn't Calibre give you the option of changing covers? So, if we offered alternative jpegs, readers could pick and choose.

Last edited by ChrisDolley; 12-31-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: it posted before I'd finished
ChrisDolley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bvc, csi, dolley, fantasy, magic